PDA

View Full Version : Popularity????

abunaitoo
12-27-2013, 03:45 AM
I'm not a shotgun reloader.
I was just wondering what order, from most to least, would shotgun gauges be????
I'm thinking 12ga would be the top, but how would the others be listed????

220swiftfn
12-27-2013, 06:11 AM
I'd say that the ones that are still easily found in chain stores are the "most popular", so 12 and 20, followed by .410. Which is a shame, because there was a reason it was called the "sweet 16".....

Dan

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Around here the 16 is way more common then the 410.

bikerbeans
12-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Around here the 16 is way more common then the 410.

I think that is because the grizzly and brown bear are way more common where you live.:wink:

BB

turbo1889
12-27-2013, 09:28 PM
So far as I've seen:

#1 = 12ga.

#2 & #3 = 20ga. & 410-bore (a fairly even fight over these positions especially since all the new 410-bore handguns)

#4 & #5 = 16ga. & 10ga. (a fairly even fight over these positions)

#6 = 28ga.

Way Behind = 24ga., 32ga., 8ga., 5-bore, 4-bore, all the wildcats.

Dead Last = 9mm rim-fire shotgun

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 09:50 PM
I think that is because the grizzly and brown bear are way more common where you live.:wink:

BB

That may be true. Around here 410 is about as rare as hens teeth.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 09:52 PM
I actually forgot about the 10ga. I jave only ever seen one, and found 4 emptys once.

bikerbeans
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Don't forget the 18ga. A friend of mine bought a 1880 or so vintage "16ga" shotgun and the found out later it was actually an 18ga. So far the only ammo he has seen for sale was one original blackpowder shotshell that went at auction for well over $100. RMC will make brass for the 18ga, minimum of 10 cases at $6 a pop, plus you have to do a chamber cast. If it was mine I would hang it on the wall or rebarrel it.

BB

WallyM3
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Eight ga. found a niche in industry. I wonder if it's still getting used.

turbo1889
12-28-2013, 10:57 AM
I judge popularity partially by what shells are sold on the shelf and the selection and variety thereof. I can tell you it is generally just as common to find 10ga. shells as easily if not easier and definitively in greater selection then 16ga. in my area. You will find an even greater availability and selection of 410-bore, and then 20ga. and of course 12ga. is king of all. Anything else, good luck on even finding it although I occasionally do so a solitary dusty box or two of 28ga. bird shot loads sitting on a shelf.

10ga. seems to be holding a good following and even gaining in the area of steel shot loads especially.

410-bore has literally exploded in popularity over the last decade or so, used to be only slightly more popular then 16ga. but now days its holding its own with the 20ga. if not edging a little ahead.

CastingFool
12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I haven't bought shotgun shells in a looong time, but judging from the sales fliers from various establishments like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and Dick's. I would say 12 ga first, then 20 ga.

turbo1889
12-28-2013, 08:33 PM
I occasionally buy factory loads, choosing what I buy not only by the load but by the hull it is loaded in and how many reloads I can get out of it. Sometimes scavenging of once fired hulls doesn't fully fill my needs and buying new never loaded or fired hulls doesn't give as good as fold crimps as factory fold crimped hulls do, I think the factory fold crimp machines do some kind of heat searing or something when they do the original fold crimp that forms the virgin hulls to the fold crimp much better then our reloading machines do.

Regardless, when I go into a gun/sporting-goods store I always browse through the ammo and gun section and always take a look at what is available even if I don't buy anything in either of those sections (and often I don't). AKA = window shopping.

turbo1889
12-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Also, on the 8ga. industrial loads. Unless you have a custom build 8ga. gun that can take the pressure levels of the industrial loads don't use them, they are much higher pressure then the old 8ga. shoulder fired guns were built to take. Or at least that is what my GF tells me who has a couple of them and loads for them including one custom gun that can handle the industrial loads (chronic case of magnumitis). Also, bird hunters should be warned that nothing bigger then 10ga. is allowed for that so 8ga. is not legal for bird hunting, you can hunt non-flying critters with it using slugs or buck-shot but its a no-no to shoot birds with anything bigger then 10ga.

Frosty Boolit
12-29-2013, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=turbo1889;2544940] I occasionally do so a solitary dusty box or two of 28ga. bird shot loads sitting on a shelf.

QUOTE]

I have never seen a 28ga. shooter that did not reload. This might explain this phenomenon!

beezapilot
12-31-2013, 04:35 PM
12-20-28-.410-16- At least from what I see at the trap & skeet club. Frosty is right on, no-one (well people that I know) can afford to shoot 28 or .410 (16 for that matter) unless they reload. We've a shooter at the club that holds a 23 average at 5-stand with a .410...

My dad had a friend who only owned one shotgun- a 10Gauge SXS, used it keep woodchucks at bay in his garden. He used to say "The left barrel kills 'em, and the right one burries them".

steg
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Years ago, Remington had a heat seal type plug right in the center of the crimp that blew out when you fired them. After reloading we would drip some candle wax on it to keep the shot from falling out.

Firebricker
01-24-2014, 03:21 PM
All of the eight gauge industrial guns I have seen are on a stand and kind of resemble a little mini artillery piece. And they are loud! I can not remember for sure but I think the last one a saw was made by Winchester. Even a sporting 8ga with lower pressure than industrial would seem way to unpleasant to shoot. FB

w5pv
01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm not a shotgun reloader.
I was just wondering what order, from most to least, would shotgun gauges be????
I'm thinking 12ga would be the top, but how would the others be listed????
12 ga,20 ga (3"),410,10ga,16 ga,probably in that order or close to it.When the 3"20 ga came in it more or less did away with the 16ga,mostly goose hunters use the 10 ga,but I understand the 12 ga 3.5" magnum giving the 10 ga a lot of competion with the goose hunters.

beagle
01-25-2014, 12:45 PM
I've seen a trend in the last couple of years in the dove fields to more 28 gauges. Two on one day this fall. Of course, the skeet fields keep it alive too. I'd say 12-20-28-410 and then 16. Love my 28 gauge 870./beagle

prsman23
01-25-2014, 01:13 PM
I've recently fallen for the 28ga too. Can load up 3/4 loads and patterns way better than a 410 and shoots way sweeter than a 20. It's been very popular in the skeet fields as of late

felix
01-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Folks in Southeast Mo are slowly switching to #9 shot for doves. Don't think the 28 gage has hit there as of yet. ... felix

jimb16
01-28-2014, 12:23 PM
I shoot a lot of skeet and 12s are king. But I also see a lot of 20s, 28s and 67s (.410 is the caliber, 67 is the actual guage.) I occasionally see a 10 or 16, but have seen only one 32.

Loc n Load
01-30-2014, 12:05 AM
On the clay ranges around here, the 12 is predominant as it is for deer hunting.....I have hunted birds for decades and the 12 & 20 are the most common I see in the field, 40-50 years ago the 16 ga. was THE gauge everybody hunted with in this area.....but only us diehards and 16 ga. cult followers still hunt and shoot the 16, same with the 28, although I have seen an increase in it during the past several years....the 410 is still here....my late bird hunting partner shot nothing but a .410 OU.....we hunted together for years and he bagged a lot of birds with his .410....I prefer the 16 in a SxS myself. I know several guy's who hunt turkey's with 10 ga.'s.....you see the big 10 in the field here quite a bit during goose season also.

Fishman
02-02-2014, 11:25 AM
I have to agree, the 28 has gotten a lot more popular. For example, around here walmart carries 28 but not 16 or 10. Lots more new guns for the 28 the the 16 or 10. It makes a great youth gun.

ksfowler166
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM
My list would be:
12ga
20ga
410ga
28ga
16ga
10ga
odd bore black powder 10ga or smaller
rim fire shotguns
24ga and 36ga
odd bore black powder 9ga or larger
cartridge 14ga

I think that just about covers everything. Though some of the categories are very close in not being popular.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-21-2014, 03:11 AM
There was an article on the 8ga industrial guns in "Gun Digest" quite a few years back. I gather they were used to knock loose accumulations of clinker in the rotary kilns used for making cement. They probably still are, but may well be out of production, as one cement works doesn't need many, and they are unlikely to wear out.

One problem with 8ga smoothbores is that if you buy an old one, it may not be a shotgun. They (and the 10ga) were built as smoothbore ball guns for African and Indian use, and they varied from light-charge ones which were very much like an 8ga shotguns, up to much heavier ones which took a very heavy charge of black powder, and were extremely punishing to fire. They could be very accurate up to 50 yards or so, as the diameters of bullet, bore and the inside of a paper or brass case (for a gun in either of those chamberings) matched up better than they usually did in a birdshot gun with choke. One or two users claimed they developed a lifelong flinch, but if you are twenty yards from your elephant, you can afford to flinch a little.

It took a few years getting used to smokeless powder and jacketed bullets for gunmakers to realise that the Express rifles, previously considered deer, antelope and even lion rifles, could be given heavier brass and loaded up to much higher velocities. Until then many of the most experienced Africa men considered that an 8ga rifle or even smoothbore gave you a better chance.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-21-2014, 04:10 AM
I think anything with the gauge in an odd number, although cartridges were made, was a very great rarity, as was the 6ga. I don't believe many people ever used the 4ga in the USA. In the UK we mustn't forget punt-guns, intended for use in something not unlike larger modern canoe. Most of those in use, even between the wars, were muzzle-loading, for you would rarely want to fire one of those twice in a day. But cartridges were made in 1¼, 1½ and 2inch bore. Everybody should have one.

The US tendency has always been to go for longer cartridges than the standards developed in the UK (i.e. 2⅞in for the 12ga and 2½in. for the smaller ones), and use them in preference for a larger bore. This has, historically, been a mistake, for you can't make the gun lighter or the cartridges cheaper. It generally produced poorer shot patterns, due to the higher pressure and greater proportion of the shot deformed by contact with the bore, and particularly on contacting the choke. It has been largely un-mistaked, though, by a couple of developments. Plastic sleeve wads both keep powder gases out of the shot better, and prevent the shot contacting the bore. Steel shot, required for waterfowl, doesn't deform.

I haven't used my 24ga yet, but I think it might be perfect for walking-up rabbits. It was made by the Ancient Etablissements Pieper in Belgium, with the 1923 year letter, and I was surprised to find that it was chopper-lumped (i.e. half of the barrel lumps being forged integrally with each tube, which at the time was an innovation anywhere, and possibly the only significant post-19th century one in the side-by-side double. More than that, the barrels are joined together by an almost invisible dovetail joint, down to the bottom of the lump, which let them us soft or silver soldering to avoid the risk of harming or distorting the steel by brazing. BSA later used that, although it adds width and weight to the barrel assembly, which matters more in a 12ga. It has the Greener top extension crossbolt, and I think longingly of the small-deer rifle as which it could be sleeved.

I can get Magtech brass cases, but cases of this type were normally used in guns specially bored for them, which mine isn't. They are wider inside than plastic, even, and any wad which seals in the case will be undesirably tight in the bore. I think thin card and soft carpet-underlay felt should be resilient enough, and possibly their tightness will let me out of a tight crimp or turnover, with which I don't want to reduce my case life, to produce efficient burning.

It is in rare condition for a hammer gun, and as it came from an Australian auction. The inlaid silver "24" is inconspicuous when tarnished. So I imagine an Australian, possibly military, taking his new purchase home, finding that 20ga cartridges wouldn't fit, and barely handling it again.

97306b