PDA

View Full Version : I have the Lee 9mm 4-die set, I'm about to reload 38spl. & 357. Do I need a 4 die set

taiden
12-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Hey all

I'm wondering if I need a 357 four die set. Can I use the factory crimp from my 9mm set?

jmort
12-27-2013, 12:46 AM
If you are loading cast boolits that are over-sized, get the three die set and a separate roll crimp die from Lee Precision like this

http://leeprecision.com/357-mag-custom-factory-crimp-die.html

This is the rifle collet style, very nice.

44Vaquero
12-27-2013, 04:01 AM
No, you can't use the 9 mm factory crimp on the .38/.357! No you do not need the 4 die set reload .38/.357! The collet die is not a bad idea as jmortimer mentioned but also not required. The 3 die carbide .38/.357 die set is really all you need.

Bayou52
12-27-2013, 11:36 AM
All you need is a 3 die set , preferably carbide. The third die, that being the seating die, has a built-in crimp feature that's adjustable by screwing the die up or down.

Good luck -

taiden
12-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Thank you, all. If the bullet seating die also crimps, what's the point of having the "factory crimp die?"

And also, in the four die set, is it exactly like the three die but with an additional die? (Ie, does the third die in the 4 die set have the same built in crimp feature as the three die set?)

jmort
12-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Many like to seat and crimp in separate steps and like a dedicated crimp die. I'm one.

Fire_Medic
12-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Just my opinion, and I know many will not agree, especially with someone new around here, but the Lee FCD is a solution to a non existent problem. If your sizing dies is set up properly there is no need for it. Also you DO NOT want to use a FCD with Cast Boolits, it can further size down your lead.

Just my $0.02

taiden
12-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I'll grab the 357 in a 3 die set then, plus it will allow me to add a bullet feeder later which could be nice.

12-27-2013, 12:02 PM
" If the bullet seating die also crimps, what's the point of having the "factory crimp die?"

Exactly.

mdi
12-27-2013, 01:02 PM
My first reload was for my .38 Special in 1969. I have used only the 3 die sets and have successfully reloaded tens of thousands of .38 Specials without any problems. At first I would seat all bullets then re-adjust the die for a roll crimp, but about 12 years ago I broke down and got a Redding Profile Crimp die to use in my turret press. Re-read Fire Medic's post and ferget a Lee FCD for handgun ammo. The purpose of an FCD is to hide errors from improperly adjusted dies...

9w1911
12-27-2013, 01:04 PM
one simply cannot own just one set hahaha
I like to seat and crimp in separate steps, also a Redding profile die is 22.00 and a Lee FCD is about 17.00, not going to break the bank

I own the Dillon set for 44mag, been using it with zero issues for years, now for the fun of it I ordered a Redding profile die and a Lee FCD to see if I can find a difference or which one is best.
Now I am just starting to load 223 and from what i was told in another thread and after the research I have no doubt the Lee FCD for 223 Rem is by far the best option on the market

6bg6ga
12-27-2013, 01:06 PM
No, you can't use the 9 mm factory crimp on the .38/.357! No you do not need the 4 die set reload .38/.357! The collet die is not a bad idea as jmortimer mentioned but also not required. The 3 die carbide .38/.357 die set is really all you need.

I will agree with this poster. Get the correct die set for what your doing. No need for a 4 die set the older 3 die carbide set will work fine.

9w1911
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
"No, you can't use the 9 mm factory crimp on the .38/.357! No you do not need the 4 die set reload .38/.357! The collet die is not a bad idea as jmortimer mentioned but also not required. The 3 die carbide .38/.357 die set is really all you need."

This has to be a troll right? no one really thinks they can load a 38 special from a 9mm die set and get a functional round? right?? right???

6bg6ga
12-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Actually I think there is a crimp die that is supposed to be able to be used with 9mm or 38 super Wouldn't buy it myself.

jmort
12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
"I have no doubt the Lee FCD for 223 Rem is by far the best option on the market"

Neither do I. The Lee Precision collet FCDs are sweetness.

David2011
12-27-2013, 01:20 PM
9w1911,

Remember the adage that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked? If this is all new to Taiden I can understand that he wouldn't know and at least had the snap to make sure he was doing right before proceeding.

Taiden,

There is a difference in the diameter of 9mm and .38/.357. The 9mm bore is .002 smaller than .38. If that doesn't sound like much, consider that the correct cast boolit diameter is usually .359" which is .002 over the bore size. An undersized boolit will be inaccurate and cause leading. Using 9mm dies would make your brass undersize and possibly undersize your boolits. If you use a 9mm FCD on .38 you will definitely swage the boolits too small.

David

jmort
12-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Prior to joining this site, I would have never considered using .38/.357 boolit in 9mm and vice versa. Who knew?

6bg6ga
12-27-2013, 01:24 PM
We all try to cut corners sometimes when it comes to purchasing reloading gear. Unfortunately correct die selection is not one area I would choose to do so.

You can cut corners by buying the cheaper Lee dies but be sure to purchase the correct die for the application.

Fire_Medic
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Prior to joining this site, I would have never considered using .38/.357 boolit in 9mm and vice versa. Who knew?

The joys of experiencing reloading. My newest endeavor will be experimenting with 38 bullets for my 9MM loads meant for the suppressor. Because it's difficult (and expensive) to find anything for 9MM heavier than 147gr.

Why I'm currently researching on here for casting my own, then I can make (and size) for my needs, then apply the polymer coat, and I can get what I want and it won't ruin the suppressor, and will save money lol…….

6bg6ga
12-27-2013, 01:35 PM
The joys of experiencing reloading. My newest endeavor will be experimenting with 38 bullets for my 9MM loads meant for the suppressor. Because it's difficult (and expensive) to find anything for 9MM heavier than 147gr.

Why I'm currently researching on here for casting my own, then I can make (and size) for my needs, then apply the polymer coat, and I can get what I want and it won't ruin the suppressor, and will save money lol…….

Actually the 160gr round nose will work fine in a 9mm. Don't know about the suppressor because here in Iowa they aren't legal.

I use a 160gr 38/357 bullet Magma mold

Fire_Medic
12-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Actually the 160gr round nose will work fine in a 9mm. Don't know about the suppressor because here in Iowa they aren't legal.

I use a 160gr 38/357 bullet Magma mold

Thank you very much, that's the exact boolit mold I have been looking at. I had a brief encounter with some foreign pulled 158gr projectiles when Wideners had them years ago in a buddies suppressor and they were VERY quiet. I just recent;y got mine out of ATF jail, and would now like to reload for it.

frkelly74
12-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I once loaded up some 9mm using 38 special dies to see if I could. Of course it didn't work very well and I had to stick a spacer slug in the seating die to seat bullets but they did shoot. I got the idea from the Ruger convertible revolver so feeding wasn't a big issue. I got 9mm dies really shortly afterwards.

taiden
12-27-2013, 03:21 PM
The thought originally stemmed from my research in using my excess 9mm bullets in 38spl / 357. I then was curious if the 9mm crimp would be ideal for this arrangement. I wish I had specified that in my original post.

I guess my question at this point is as such: If I buy the 3 die set + FCD later, is that any different than buying the 4 die set?

I can't seem to figure out if the third die in the 3 die set is identical to the third die in the 4 die set.

I ask because if I decide to add a bullet feeder to my turret later, I want to be sure I can run with three dies.

Thanks all

jmort
12-27-2013, 03:26 PM
"I can't seem to figure out if the third die in the 3 die set is identical to the third die in the 4 die set."

yes

taiden
12-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Thank you jmortimer. It is very much appreciated.

6bg6ga
12-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Thank you very much, that's the exact boolit mold I have been looking at. I had a brief encounter with some foreign pulled 158gr projectiles when Wideners had them years ago in a buddies suppressor and they were VERY quiet. I just recent;y got mine out of ATF jail, and would now like to reload for it.

I can't tell you the exact load I used now but I can tell you they were accurate and they hit hard.

bedbugbilly
12-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Personally, I think it is all up to how you are set up to reload. I reload both 38s and 9mm. I use a 4 hole Lee Turret. I deprive all my brass on a single stage with a universal deprimer die. I use the 4 die Lee sets for both the 9mm and 38 spl - and I only load lead that I cast. On the 4 hole turret, it's a snap but then I like to seat and crimp in separate operations. Everyone has a "fit" over the fourth die and claiming it swages the lead down - hmmm . . . mine work just fine with lead and I don't have that problem. The 4th die in the 9mm puts a nice taper crimp on that round and the 4th die in the 38 spl puts a nice roll crimp on that cartridge. Yea . . . a thre die set will work just fine . . . but if you're using a turret and seat and crimp in different operations, why not use all four dies - it isn't that much more expensive than the three set . . . and there is no having to seat and then go through and readjust the die to crimp - to me, it just makes sense on a turret. Everyone has their own methods and what works best for them.

I'm casting SWC, WC and RN lead rounds for the 38 spl. I size them all to .358. They work just fine after going through the four dies and when feeding in to the fourth die, no problems at all. That fourth crimp / collet die is set up for the industry standards. If you're loading a "as dropped" that is oversize . . . seems to me it will swage it down . . . but the cartridge will still be to industry standards. Just my 2 cents . . .