PDA

View Full Version : T/C Pro Hunter - first outing

mrvmax
12-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Got the Pro Hunter in today, the frame is the SS Weathershield version and I have the 20" 500 S&W barrel. After reading some things about the Encore series on here I was leery about what I had bought. After heading to the range today I can say that I am pleased so far.
The barrel has the Williams peep sight on the rear and a fiber optic on the front and out of the box everything seems to work well. I fired six different loads through it (all loads I had developed for my 4" S&W and all six with factory bullets - I am not casting yet) with no problems. I fired 40 rounds and after wasting 2/3 playing around/sighting in I did get a 50 yard group of about 3" (about all I will use this for is hunting pigs so that accuracy will do the trick for me). Since I am using the peep sights, I have not shot enough to find an ideal load and my eyes are bad that is a decent group for the first outing. I will work on some loads made specifically for this rifle. FYI, I fired 10 500 S&W Special loads and they went without a hitch, there is not a whole lot of info out there on the special loads and I am trying to get one I like (the main reason is that I hate to let the brass I have from the Corbon 500 S&W special loads go to waste). When I get my Belm TC's order in and I check headspace and do a couple of other things I will sit down and see if I can get better groups. I only have 50 pieces of brass so I am prepping the brass now so I can load some more and head back out. I will update if I run across anything worthwhile.

35 shooter
12-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Sounds like a good start. How's that recoil?

mrvmax
12-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Recoil is not bad due to the stock design. It is stout but manageable, I am a bit sore but able to shoot more today if I can get some loading done.

35 shooter
12-28-2013, 01:18 AM
I'll be waiting on results. I love these Encore reports!:grin:

leadman
12-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I have had a Pro Hunter frame for about 7 years and recently bought a Weathershield. After shooting several hundred rounds of 243 Win with the Weathershield the groups started to open up. I found that the pin hole was burnished and I could slip in a Bellm 1X oversized pin.
Groups tightened back up.
I am not sure what T/C does to the metal but it is a very rough finish and even the inside of the hole was a little rough when new.
Just something to watch for.

Groo
12-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Groo here
When you get cast, try a full to the boolet load of Trailboss in the special cases.

mrvmax
12-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Groo here
When you get cast, try a full to the boolet load of Trailboss in the special cases.
I have some Hunter's Supply lead cast that I am going to load tomorrow in the Special cases with TB.

Doc_Stihl
12-28-2013, 10:14 PM
If you want the full experience you should get a few 700gr cast and load em up over a stout charge of H110 or lil'gun. (Stay away from lil gun in the revolver)
Check your seating depth. You can bet that it's got a very very long throat.