PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at PP cast

Tonto
12-26-2013, 04:20 PM
My first attempt, I powder paint lots of jigs, spinners and buzz baits using the heat and dip method (heat gun). I've been following this technique and thought I would give it a try. Hopefully two photos attach to show the results. My technique was low tech. I put about half a teaspoon of Harbor Freight red into a small Rubbermaid container and added twenty cast 30 caliber boolits and rolled it around in my hands for about five minutes, checking to see how things were going every minute or so. It seemed I had too much powder so I transferred the boolits to another, clean container (same size) and rolled for another couple of minutes. I then placed the powdered projectiles on their base on a piece of parchment paper on my toaster oven tray. I cured at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. I tried aluminum foil first, bad idea....parchment paper was perfect, no sticking. I used tweezers for the take out and stand up exercise, it did rub a little powder off in spots but I avoided the driving bands. I coated four different boolit styles, the two NOE 311247 and 311365, the LEE 230 Blackout style and LEE's 165 RD style, I powder coated both PB and gas check bases without the checks. I hope to load in Blackout brass soon then to the range when it is a little warmer here (above 10 above). Now I wonder if glow powder will make a poor mans tracer.

beppe
12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
hello from Beppe! I also want to try it your way, what is harbor freight? you have not sized the bullets?

Tonto
12-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Harbor Freight is a discount tool store here in the USA. They sell, among other things, powder paint that runs about $5 a pound. I did not size these before powder painting and my plan is to load and shoot them without further sizing. They are measuring between .309 - .312.

beppe
12-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Tonto thanks for your help! yet another question please: okay paint for metal?

Tonto
12-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Not sure what you are asking. Powder paint is for metal. Seems there are a few ways to apply it, one is using an electrostatic process, one is heating and dipping and the method I used, just tumbling the metal object in the powder. All three techniques require a heat curing process over 300 degrees Fahrenheit for somewhere between 10-20 minutes and the temp and time vary depending on the paint used. I use 350-400 degrees for 15 minutes. Under curing results in paint layer chipping and not bonding to the metal. The finished product is more of a hard plastic like coating than typical paint and almost indestructible. I use a lot when making various fishing lures from lead alloys. I hope this is helpful.

beppe
12-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Tonto thanks! Your explanation was very helpful to me:drinks: