PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried doing a dry powder coat with clear paint?

prickett
12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
If so, I'd be interested in your findings.

Does it stick to the boolet. HF Black does not, HF Red does. How about the clear (from whichever vendor)?

Does it work (preventing leading)?

Are you able to tell the boolet was successfully coated? With HF Red you can see the paint. Can you see the clear OK?

VHoward
12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but the powder for clear is sort of white. It turns clear during the baking and curing stage.

prickett
12-27-2013, 12:30 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but the powder for clear is sort of white. It turns clear during the baking and curing stage.

Do you have some on hand? If so, could you tumble a handful of boolets just to see if the powder sticks or not?

VHoward
12-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry, I don't have any on hand. I only saw a video of clear being sprayed over a color coat of Powder coat. Coat with the color you want, bake and cure, then do the clear is what I saw. No idea whether or not the clear by itself is strong enough. They were using it as a clear coat in that video. The video I saw that in is on eastwood.com .

prickett
12-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Sorry, I don't have any on hand. I only saw a video of clear being sprayed over a color coat of Powder coat. Coat with the color you want, bake and cure, then do the clear is what I saw. No idea whether or not the clear by itself is strong enough. They were using it as a clear coat in that video. The video I saw that in is on eastwood.com .

I suppose, worse case, you could coat with a colored PC, then do a 2nd or 3rd coat with clear to act as a non-abrasive outer coating (assuming it is found that the colored PC are indeed abrasive).

Cane_man
12-28-2013, 09:30 PM
i bought some PC clear coat and will try it out next week when i get some time...

VHoward
12-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I suppose, worse case, you could coat with a colored PC, then do a 2nd or 3rd coat with clear to act as a non-abrasive outer coating (assuming it is found that the colored PC are indeed abrasive).
I think what you are refering to is the report I saw where someone noticed some barrel erosion when the were using matte black pc. I don't think there is any problem reported with glossy pc doing that though. I definitely would not try a flat color if matte is causing problems.