PDA

View Full Version : Enhansing static electric charge in dry tumbling pc?

owejia
12-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Is a static electric charge what makes the dry powder stick to the boolits using the dry tumble method? Will this charge be enhansed by tumbling longer?

bangerjim
12-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I have tumbled 10-20-30-40 minutes and NO MATTER how long I run them, the powder falls right off when you remove them from the tumbler.....leaving bare spots, lumps, clumps, and generally a very poor finish in my book.

Don't waste your time and effort. Buy a Harbor Freight $59 -25% ES gun and do it the right way. You will NOT be sorry. Perfect boolits EVERY time!

bangerjim

prickett
12-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I have tumbled 10-20-30-40 minutes and NO MATTER how long I run them, the powder falls right off when you remove them from the tumbler.....leaving bare spots, lumps, clumps, and generally a very poor finish in my book.

Don't waste your time and effort. Buy a Harbor Freight $59 -25% ES gun and do it the right way. You will NOT be sorry. Perfect boolits EVERY time!

bangerjim

What powder are you using? I had no luck with HF Black, but complete success with HF Red.

prickett
12-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Is a static electric charge what makes the dry powder stick to the boolits using the dry tumble method? Will this charge be enhansed by tumbling longer?

In another thread, some guys sprayed boolits with hairspray to assist with the adhesion. You might want to search for that thread.

Freightman
12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Might be humidity also, I have success with the red, white, and yellow, none with the black. Every once in a while I have trouble getting a good coat, but have noticed that only when the humidity is up.So I don't have to worry to much as it is desert dry here most of the time. :grin: I only do dry tumbling but am thinking on the electrostatic way but the dry works for me right now.

Maximumbob54
01-06-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm a very recent convert to the ES and actually tried for a while at the dry tumble method. ES wins hands down. This is triple coated and triple baked in back vs once sprayed and once baked in front:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/Reloading%20and%20Casting/IMG_20140105_133111889_zpsjayi8ky2.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/Maximumbob54/media/Reloading%20and%20Casting/IMG_20140105_133111889_zpsjayi8ky2.jpg.html)

As you can see the ES coating is mirror smooth and perfect from the first time. The triple coated tumble coating is still rough and all my powder coating is baked for the same amount of time per coating at the same temp. Yes, the tumble can be made to work but you will spend a lot of time and effort to get there or minimal time and effort for not much money with the ES spray gun.

Boogieman
01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
92866 These were coated once with HF red .Shake & Bake Fast ,cheap, & easy. They pass my test hit where they are aimed & don't lead.

bangerjim
01-07-2014, 02:15 AM
What powder are you using? I had no luck with HF Black, but complete success with HF Red.

I concur the black did NOT work at all with the dry fumble method. I did have some of the red stick in big clumps but the black did not stick at all.

I just feel, for the time investment needed in other methods discussed here, the ES method is far superior. Not to mention the perfect smooth flawless finish on each boolit. This is one of my main hobbies, so money is of no concern, as many complain about with the ES gun equipment.

But use whatever method floats your boat and you are content with!

bangerjim

TheDoctor
01-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I just wish there was an efficient way to es coat the COMPLETE bullet!

Maximumbob54
01-07-2014, 06:18 PM
I've been thinking about that and I've been curious about spraying them once to get all but the bottom and then rigging a second tray. I already have trays made of hardware cloth and I bet if I spread foil over them and then rubbed my hand across it to indent the foil through the grid a little then I could lay bullets all in a row exposing the bottom without them rolling around. Then they would be wide open for a bottom coating. So much testing to do still.

bangerjim
01-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I have written about this MANY time in the various PC threads:

There is really no need to coat the bottoms of sub-sonic boolits. Standard greasy lubes offer no protection. Why do you need PC there?

If you are hell-bent on coating the bottoms, do this:

After baking bottom side down, dab the bottom on a wetted-with-acetone rag. Then tap the base in a lid with a thin layer of powder in it. You can use contrasting color if you want. Then bake again with the boolits lying down on the side.

This will give you all-over PC.......for whatever that gains you.

If you are worried about the lead being attacked from the back, then you are shooting sonic magnums or rifle load and you MUST use copper gas checks. PC will not protect your boolits keister in those situations.

bangerjim

Maximumbob54
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Guns with comps on them get lead in the comp from shooting neckid butt boolits.

TheDoctor
01-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I have a 70 kv, 5ma power source. Wonder what type of electrostatic buildup I can get with that!?