PDA

View Full Version : The wrong dies and a lathe

wonderwolf
11-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Like most shooters I'm sure I go to estate sales and buy things "on spec" so when I got a .44spl die set in with a bunch of other dies I thought I would never have a use for them ESPECIALLY since they were lee dies [smilie=1: Well I have been wanting to load up some .44spl rounds now that I got that group buy mold and I dug around for those dies and found them. Turns out I only have the decapper and expander/powder through die and no seater which is what I was after ...darn. BUT not all is lost. As a student on a budget I plan on chucking up the decapper in the lathe and making a universal decaper out of it since I'm in dire need of one. OR is there a way I can make the decaper into a bullet seater? I can make a seater stem or plug whichever. I don't have the dies with me as they are back home. but the thought had accured to me to look for them while I was home over break. just tossing around some thoughts.

Swagerman
11-27-2007, 10:10 AM
The Lee dies are so inexpensive and good, why waste time making a seater die...just order one. In fact, my advice would be to order a seater die and a crimp die.

You can then seat the bullet to the proper depth in the brass, then seat and crimp the bullet in the brass...much better cartridge if you do.

I also own the Lee Universal decaper that takes care of all calibers.

Jim

lathesmith
11-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Swagerman is right, it's a waste of time and money to modify Lee (or any other) die, if what you want can be readily purchased. The only time I mess with mods to these dies is to make something I cannot readily buy. Example? I did not like the powder thru expander die that came with my Lee 375 dies; I made one to my specs. Another example? I've had guys tell me they made up a universal decapper die; Lee sells one for less than 8 bucks. They burned several hours and much tool wear for this; my time is worth much more than a buck or two an hour. Even modifying an existing die can be tough; the steel is usually pretty hard, and it sometimes takes a tool post grinder to cut it. What a mess! Definitely not for me.
lathesmith

Morgan Astorbilt
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
You can make the decapper into a seating die, but it won't crimp, the ID being too large. You'd have to get a seperate crimping die.
Morgan

slughammer
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Any project you can do with the lathe is probably worth doing, just because you can. Don't over estimate the value of your labor and don't under estimate the value of doing something just to learn. On the other hand that lee decaping die is probably the size die too, carbide ring and all. I do think you could make 2 pieces for the expander die to use it for seating and crimping; easier in 2 steps, but possible in one if you put in the layout time at the drawing board.

KCSO
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Why not go whole hog and make one from a 7/8" bolt? It won't be that much extra work and you could put the crimp in too. I also think that every project you can do yorself is worth doing. Hey in shop class we made V blocks and clamps that sold for a lot less than the time we spent, but now many years later they are still going strong and they are maked wigh MY initials.

454PB
11-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I make a lot of small stuff, including my own sizing dies. I have rudementary equipment, not a machine shop full of expensive tooling. Truth be known, Lyman/RCBS sizing dies are $17 each and it takes me about two hours to make one start to finish. If I wasn't retired, it would not be worth my time. As was said, the practice hones the skill, and making something with a minimum of equipment is satisfying.