PDA

View Full Version : 44 SPL Short and Long

WALLNUTT
12-26-2013, 12:16 AM
I read awhile back on a forum(don't remember which one) that someone had dropped a loaded 44mag round w/ a heavy crimp into a Ruger flat top 44spl and it fit. This got me to thinking(a rare occurance)about chamber and case length in my flat top. I took a 44mag case and trimmed it to just fit in my cylinder. Case length ended up at 1.19,new Starlines and Hornadys measured 1.145. Max length is listed as 1.16 and trim at 1.152. I'm not trying knock the case manufacturers because even at the max length this leaves a pretty big gap between the case and the taper to the throat with cast bullets. I want to trim a few mag cases and load them up and see if accuracy improves but hoping someone will tell me they've tried it and it made no difference as I don't like trimming cases that much. Anyone tried it?

reed1911
12-26-2013, 10:47 AM
I have not, however I would wager that you will do more for accuracy with load and bullet changes more than you will from specific case length. If you have a super accurate load already you may (stress may) find that specific case length will tighten up the spread, but most folks do not shoot well enough to really notice the difference.

Airman Basic
12-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I seem to have differing case lengths that cause a problem with case belling and crimping consistency. Trimming to the same length has got to be easier than sorting.

WALLNUTT
12-26-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't really mind trimming for consistant case length and realize the need to do so but the chamber seems long for the case. I'm sure Ruger chambers them a little long to make sure no one puts in a overlength case and have a pressure issue but seems excessive. This is the first centerfire revolver I've had in many years having loaded cast for rifles the last 25 or so years. When I did load revolvers I didn't pay much attention to accuracy details,more of a quantity thing. I do know that with rifles I have to attend to details if I want to hit what I'm aiming at.I do get some fouling just ahead of the case and before the throat.I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet and tri m about 20 mag cases to see what happens.Thank You for the responses.