PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Smelting

pumpguy
11-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, I found the limit of a turkey fryer for melting up a bunch of WWs tonight. I started melting a bunch of them today at about 4:30. Temp outside was about 45*. As I got to going good, the sun and consequently the temp went down to about 30*. I had to keep pushig the WWs down into the melt or else they would solidify and a lead ring would form around the top of my dutch oven. I eventually had to be happy with a half pot just to keep it liquid. I also had to pour a lot faster than I would like or my angle iron molds would cool the lead too quickly. I managed to get 3 buckets done, but, it took about twice as long as it did this summer. I thought it would be more comfortable to do it this time of year, but, I guess I will just have to put up with the profuse sweating.[smilie=1:

Morgan Astorbilt
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Pumpguy, Is there a wind screen around the dutch oven? If not, get a piece of sheet metal about 12" wide, and roll to make a cylinder with a diameter about 2" greater than the pot. Attach three legs of angle iron, to keep it off the ground, with the bottom about 2" below the bottom of the pot. This will keep the wind out, and direct the heat up around the pot.
Morgan

Bret4207
11-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Did you have the cover on the pot? Worked better for me down into the low teens.

Bob Jones
11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I make a circle of fire brick 3 high and set my burner on top of those, then put another ring of fire brick around the dutch oven to channel the heat, it really makes a difference in how fast the melt goes.

yammerschooner
11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
When my turkey fryer did that there was a dead spider in the gas line.

If I were you I would unhook the gas line at the turkey burner end. Turn on the gas and see if there is something clogging the little hole that is in that brass fitting. With a little prodding while the gas is on, you should be able to coax any debris out of the end.

It took me about three sessions before I got all of the spider out. After clearing the hole the line would be good for about an hour or so. After three cleanings I have had no further issues.

My "pot" was a propane cylinder I had cut in half. Although it takes a while to get to temp, it is possible to do a five gallon bucket at a time, and have plenty of heat left over on a 45-50 degree day. My turkey burner is not a fancy one.

fourarmed
11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Where I live, there is a spider that prefers turkey fryer burners to all other nesting sites. I disassemble the burner and clean out all traces of spider nest, rust, etc., then I remove and discard the little circular piece of sheet metal that rotates to regulate air intake. When the burner is reassembled, I can get a much more powerful flame.

mtgrs737
11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
If you have an adjustable regulator I would try increasing the pressure to the burner to get more heat. Just a little bit will do ya.

pumpguy
11-28-2007, 04:31 PM
I have a good flame. In fact, it was crawling up the sides of the dutch oven. I think at least when I'm trying to melt the raw WWs, I will keep a lid on it. I always pile them up above the rim, but, I will have to keep them below the rim I guess. Thanks guys!

kodiak1
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
pumpguy I would think you have a problem as I have melted up here in Cnuckastan in the middle of winter. It did take a little longer 20 minutes maybe but not twice as long.
Would definetly check the hose for blockage or even the regulator itself.
Good Luck Ken.

yammerschooner
11-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I thought I had a good flame too until I got the spider out.