PDA

View Full Version : Reloading notes, data, reference materials--how do you keep it?

Recluse
12-25-2013, 07:33 PM
There was a discussion several days ago about some variances and issues with a particular caliber and boolit and load combination. During the discussion, the OP was asked about some specifics and didn't have them and was trying to "recall" some of the specifics. Another member here offered that note keeping and data management was pretty important to good reloading.

I agree, and agree heartily. I reckon some folks keep their notes on a computer or smart phone and others hand-written. I keep a handloaders log book in my reloading shop along with a handful of various reference manuals for everything from casting to loading to minor gunsmithing, plus several notebook binders filled with printouts and old xerox copies of data from years, and sometimes decades ago.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91575&d=1388012016

This is a typical page in my handloading notebook. Anytime I change ANY load for ANY caliber up, even by just a few tenths of a grain or different brand of primer or a significant change of alloy or projectile, a new entry gets made.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91578&d=1388012019

In it, I have the basics of powder type and charge, projectile type and weight and lube (if applicable), case, OAL, and how it shot and any brief thoughts on it. On the page above, you can see that the data is five years old, but the bottom load is one I continue to load today. There are four pages preceding it on just jacketed bullet data and variations that lead to me finding my "sweet spot" load.

When I head to the range to try a new load, I write down the specifics on 3x5 index cards. I also use 3x5 index cards as targets and record the appropriate data on them after I've fired a handful of rounds at them.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91577&d=1388012018

This gives me a physical indicator of how the loads performed. Notes are one thing, but when I can look through my index cards and actually SEE how they shot, I feel better.

I'm always making notes when I try something new or slightly different. I keep all notes and file them by caliber in ziploc bags. Again, it makes it easy to find prior results and match them with the notes in my log book.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91576&d=1388012017

For many of the long gun rounds load development, I keep actual targets and have them filed away in one of my ammo cabinets.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91574&d=1388012015

Over the course of many years, this has saved me lots of time, as well as money, from either duplicating old (bad or lesser) loads or wasting time trying to replicate good loads when I'm able to look them up, pull up the cards or targets to verify, and then go to loading.

Anyone do anything similar?

:coffee:

geargnasher
12-25-2013, 08:00 PM
I finally abandoned the neat, pre-printed forms (including the ones I developed myself in Word Perfect long ago) and went to straight notebook paper. After having to go to a three-inch binder to contain it all a few years back, I gave up and got 1" binders for each gun. Some are full, some only have a few pages, but I can three-hole punch my standard 8.5x11 targets, write notes on them, and put them along with data pages. I can also keep detailed notes on what dies and tools were used, which is very handy for re-doing match ammo long after I've forgotten exactly how I prepped the brass, what size expander I used, or which seater die.

It's still messy to keep targets and data together, but I feel like it's a necessary evil. After drawing small pictures of groups in the load data notes and even photographing and "shrinking" the target pics to put with the notes, it loses meaning.

Someone here, and I hope he chimes in on this thread, has a detailed method of storing it all on his computer in searchable files which include exhaustive records of targets, pages of data entry, chronograph data, etc. I forget who it was or what program he used, but it was fantastic. An obvious advantage is quick duplication for safe storage. Imagine being to put a lifetime of handloading experience on one disc and store it in multiple safe places so it would never be lost or destroyed.

Gear

smokeywolf
12-25-2013, 08:04 PM
My record keeping is not as comprehensive as yours J.D. or as it should be for that matter. My manuals and books are spread out between the garage, the living room and the bathrooms. My notes and records are kept in the same ledgers that my father started using in 1953.

smokeywolf

MtGun44
12-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I take an old digital camera with me to the range, put a sticky note with the
load info and shooting conditions, usually, on the target, with a scale and
take a photo. I have these all in directories and subdirectories on my
PC and stored on a SD card and on a DVD for backup.

A few examples.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52983&d=1325653240

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52982&d=1325653240

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52429&d=1307309022

Subidrectory for each gun, then jbullet and cast subdirectories. For some with a LOT of load development
I make subdirectories by powder, too. Occasionally realize that I left off some key info so
edit it into the pic, like the one example shows. Captures the POI for the load, too, at least for
fixed sight guns.

Works for me.

Bill

btroj
12-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Records? People keep records?

Mine is in a binder, when it keep it. Much of my shooting is with the same old loads so no data is kept.

When I do chrono testing the data goes into a spread sheet so the computer can do the calculations of avg and SD.

My FIL has numerous notebooks with portions of targets and notes on plain old notebook paper. It is sorted by cartridge.

Record keeping just isn't myself front suit.

Love Life
12-25-2013, 08:37 PM
A 3 ring binder for each rifle. Targets are on blank white computer paper or notebook paper. Load data is on targets.

Brass prep get it's own page.

I also keep a count of rds fired.

Pistol: Don't shoot the well enough to bother. Once I find a load that hits where it is supposed to hit at 25 yds, I write it on an index card and staple it to the cartridge page in the reloading manual.

Ben
12-25-2013, 08:38 PM
I've been using this reloading data form for a long time. As I reload my ammo, I log the data on the form you see below. When I've finished loading, I print the data sheet and pack it in the ammo box ( 50 round ammo box ) .

I take a digital camera to the range and take photos of my groups ( Row 1, Row 2 , etc. )

Once I arrive back come home , I'll add the JPEG photos to the data sheet. I can go back in time many yrs. now and see the groups that I fired and the exact reloading data that provided those groups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Capture-8.jpg

The you attach your photos and identify each group with a Row # that matches the data sheet above :

These photos were taken with my cell phone.
While these are not great quality photos, they do serve to give you a good idea of how the loads shot at the range.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Row1.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Row2.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Row3.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Row4.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/Row5.jpg

btroj
12-25-2013, 08:45 PM
The camera thing is something I never thought of. Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

I have a digital camera, it may need to start going to the range. If nothing else I can use my phone.

Thanks for the idea Ben and Bill

Ben
12-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Deleted

Walter Laich
12-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I set up a spreadsheet in Excel and keep powder, bullet and comments on each caliber.

Ben
12-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

" Old Guys " ? ?

Hey Bill, what about that one ............?

wantoutofca
12-25-2013, 08:58 PM
My strategy is excel as well

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a folder for each gun I reload for. All the load data and development and targets are kept in there, and then in the event that I sell a gun, the folder goes with it to the new owner. I also keep all the info on the gun on the inside cover, such as Serial Numbers, twist rate, and any modifications I made to the gun.

clownbear69
12-25-2013, 09:10 PM
I have a three subject notebook. 1st section is load ie plated bullets and powder and date as well. Second section same thing but for cast (haven't used that yet) and 3rd section is the actual range report. Simple but don't have many guns so don't need extra stuff..... yet. I did this manily for powder because hard to get favorite powder nowadays

btroj
12-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

" Old Guys " ? ?

Hey Bill, what about that one ............?

He is probably in bed already........

Actually Ben, I think it is great that you use technology in an intelligent way. The cell phone makes sense, mine is always at the range with me anyway.

Do you print the images or just keep them electronically?

Ben
12-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I only keep them electronically.

You can take a $15.00 Jump drive and keep 20 yrs. worth of reloading data and range photos on it.

Ben

btroj
12-25-2013, 09:28 PM
That is true. It is also very easy to keep them backed up on CDs too. Great idea.

Bzcraig
12-25-2013, 09:35 PM
My records are kept in a combination of Excel and Word documents. I print up the load data take to range with me, make notes then enter notes back in documents when I get home. The last change I made was to add the load data reference and page number so I can go back in the event I have a problem. Last time I was getting cratered primers but couldn't figure out where I got the data from so had to start all over with that load.

Great post JD! And great follow up the the original thread.

Bigslug
12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Addressing this topic will likely be a constant "work in progress"

Dad and I started reloading some time around 1985, and we've got notes that go back almost that far. For a time, it was all in a notebook. That got cumbersome, and we recently did a major re-file. Currently, we're stashing data for each gun or caliber in a gallon zip-loc and keeping all of those in a large plastic tote. Since we're dealing with chronograph printouts, bits cut out of targets, and load workups usually done on 5x7 file cards, this seems - so far - to be ideal.

wv109323
12-25-2013, 10:02 PM
There is a free program called Pointblank that will allow you to store all loading data and pictures on your computer.

AlaskanGuy
12-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok, here is where the old meets the new....

I take my ipad to the range with me, and i have a data file in notepad that i keep for each gun... Been doing it for years... About four years ago i took all my old school notes and moved them into the same notepad file in my ipad.... Now that i have graduated to an ipad 2, i keep a photo file as well for old target pics that are assoicated with my loads that work for each gun... Now i just push a button and back everything up to the cloud so that if i loose my ipad, i can just dump the data right into my next ipad. I also keep many, and i mean many of my reloading manuals in electronic form in my ibooks, as well as all of the manuals that i can for all of my guns, and many how to videos... My ipad had about 40 gigs of reloading data, pictures, and videos in it now... Still have 23 gigs free...lol... I also have several apps related to reloading that i maintain, as well as gps data and navagation apps for the entire state of alaska, being topomaps or marine charts.....

Embrase the future old farts... He he

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
What is a ipad?

btroj
12-25-2013, 10:24 PM
An iPad is what I am typing this post on right now........

WallyM3
12-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Ah. It's a thing that writes purple.

AlaskanGuy
12-25-2013, 10:40 PM
That is what i post all of my stuff with too... Very handy... Pics arent high quality, but very convient to have the ability to add pics to posts as well... Aint fired up the laptop computer in about 2 weeks...lol... Although i do back my ipad up to the computer and to a usb hard drive as well, just in case the **** hits the fan and the internet goes away....

dragon813gt
12-25-2013, 10:40 PM
All my load data is written down and kept in binders. I happen to use the Lyman forms. They contain contain all the pertinent info and have a big enough notes section. I find it faster, even though I'm young, to flip through paper pages to find what I'm looking for. I'm kind of lax on note taking. The load is either a keeper or trash and I mark it accordingly.

But I also have digital copies of all the load data as well as targets in PDF form. Well I'm really in the middle of this part. There is an app called Turbo Scan that uses the iPhone camera to create PDFs. It works really well. Since I only care about targets for the keeper loads this keeps the clutter somewhat down. I won't be upset if I lose the paper or digital targets so this helps as well. I'm working out how to organize all the info and make it easy to find what I'm looking for.

There will never be a substitute for a pen and paper. I use iPads on job sites to find information on the units I'm working on. But it's a lot easier if I have the manuals printed out instead of scrolling through the PDFs. I feel the same way about load data.

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 10:41 PM
I actaully do most of my posting off of a Iphone since we have horrible internet here. Wireless is slower then dialup and way tio expancive.

Kraschenbirn
12-25-2013, 11:51 PM
I've got a three-ring notebook on my reloading bench where I record the specifics of everything I load along with a hard-copy folder of targets for reference/comparison. Perhaps my best records, though, are my 'range notes.' For many, many years, I've kept a 5x7 spiral notebook among my range gear to keep 'on-the-spot' notes...weather conditions, sight settings, chronograph numbers, and general comments...whether I'm test firing a new load or just a few 'control rounds' from a large batch that's going on the shelf for future use. I've got a stack of these notebooks going back over 30 years and one of these days I'll get around to actually indexing the contents but, in the mean time, I've stapled a refence list of calibers tested inside the cover of each notebook.

Bill

texassako
12-26-2013, 12:51 AM
I use a 3" binder with tabs for each cartridge and worksheets for the info. Targets get hole punched or put in sleeves depending on the target. It is really starting to fill up though.

MtGun44
12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
For me the main advantage is keeping it all sorted out in the computer, using
directories and subdirectories. Also, it finally dawned on me after about 30+ yrs
of trying to learn from reloading that notes like "4.5" wide by 1.5" tall, slightly
diagonal, 4 in 1.25", one flier" were a PITA to write and worse to try to interpret
5 or 20 yrs later, but a PICTURE of the group was instantly meaningful!

Voila, I was capturing the most information and it was EASY!!!!! and quick. Takes a minute
or two to write out each load and gun info on Post-It notes, then go downrange,
stick on the target, put up the tape or rule and take a pic or two, then paste the
targets and go again.

I have many directories and subdirectories:
Groups
------Rifles
----------Milsurp
------------------US
------------------Foreign
--------------------------Rem RB 7x57
--------------------------------------cast
--------------------------------------jacketed
--------------------------Rem RB 43 Span
-------------------------Rem RB 50-70
-------------------------No4 Mk1
------------------------SMLE
------------------------Mauser 95 DWM 7x57
------------------------Mauser 95 Loewe 7x57
----------Commercial
--------------------Bolt
--------------------Lever
--------------------------Win 94 30-30 451
--------------------------Win 94 30-30 675
--------------------------Win 94 38-55
--------------------------Win 94 44 mag
--------------------------Brn 92 44 mag
----------------------Semiauto

-------Handguns
---------------Revolvers
---------------Semiautos

Sorry - had to add the dashes, the board software smashes out leading spaces.

OK you get the idea. I try to add subdirectories when ever it gets
to where I won't know which one to look in for some particular gun
and load combo. I have several W94s in 30-30, so the subdir has the last 3 digits of
the SN to keep things straight.

One added benefit, I can post groups here and have many to choose from without any
extra effort, just my normal range stuff.

As far as old . . . . well, I'm retiring in a few months, so I must be old. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

Oh,yeah, an iPad is like a laptop only without a keyboard or any good way to hold it up, and with
a really fascist set of commands - my way or the highway - easy to do what the fascists think is
'normal' almost entirely impossible to do what the fascists never thought of or think is abnormal.
Looking at "content" is NORMAL for an iPad. Creating "content" is abnormal for an iPad.

LowPE
12-26-2013, 01:46 PM
I have done a little bit of all the above, plus one not mentioned. I write, all over the place, in one of my Lymans reloading book. And that is the info that gets looked at most often because it is easy, fast and somewhat cryptic looking.

youngda9
12-26-2013, 03:28 PM
I bring my secretary with me to the range.

dverna
12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Great Thread!!!!

I really like the way MtGun44 does it. I like to see the groups and I would rather write data on a Postit Note than enter data into a spreadsheet. Taking a picture is easy and by using subdirectories you can quickly find the information you want.

One could have multiple main categories instead of just listing rifles like Bill does. it might be useful to have another based on bullet/mold if the same bullet/mold is used for different guns. I can see having another for powder so you can quickly look up where you used say 4198 successfully if you find a buy and wonder if you should stock up.

I am getting a new "smart" phone in a couple of weeks and I can see doing this with it. I can back up the data as well as print it out. It beats the scattered system of notes I use now.

Don Verna

Beau Cassidy
12-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I just keep the targets with rifle, scope, load data, and conditions on it. I have folders for each rifle. It sure makes for a lot of paperwork but there is just something about having the actual target in front of you. Many times I will take several different loads and lay their targets out to look at characteristics of each load. I need to start scanning them in. A house fire is more likely than an electromagnetic pulse which would render everyone back to pen and paper.

ShooterAZ
12-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I use the spiral notebooks, one for each caliber i load for. I put in all the pertinent data, and store them with my reloading manuals. I used to save targets, but no longer do.

beppe
12-26-2013, 04:45 PM
I use lyman data log :wink:9165191652

Crawdaddy
12-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Yikes, I am seriously lacking in this department. I better get with the times. When I find a load I like I write it down and stick it in the cartridge container. Most of my loads haven't changed in 20 years.

When I run short of ammo, I look inside the box, get load data and then go to it.

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Yikes, I am seriously lacking in this department. I better get with the times. When I find a load I like I write it down and stick it in the cartridge container. Most of my loads haven't changed in 20 years.

When I run short of ammo, I look inside the box, get load data and then go to it.

I dothatwith everybox of ammo, just so I know whats in it.

Recluse
12-27-2013, 05:09 PM
I dothatwith everybox of ammo, just so I know whats in it.

Same here. I've got reloads with dates on them going back to the 70's that if I hadn't labeled them, I'd have no earthly idea what they were other than the caliber and projectile type--wouldn't know the weight of the projectile, but would know if it was lead, HP, JHP, SWC, WC, etc.

:coffee:

smokeywolf
12-27-2013, 06:56 PM
In addition to making a ledger entry for each load, variation and result. I apply a length of camera tape to the cartridge container that notes boolit/weight, powder/charge, primer and date loaded.

smokeywolf

cbrick
12-27-2013, 08:27 PM
For those that posted they only keep notes on the loads they are happy with that is a big mistake. There is as much or more to learn going over your notes and seeing what didn't work as there is in what did, plus if you don't keep notes on all loads tested you are doomed a year or 5 years from now repeating the loads that didn't work.

Sure wish I could post a document here but I've tried & it just doesn't seem to be working.

Like Bill I have everything on the computer but I learned my lesson about 15 years or so ago, transferred everything to the computer. Of course it crashed and I lost 20-25 years of loading notes, poof, gone. Now it's all on two computers plus a backup external hard drive AND I have Carbonite.

I have a folder for each firearm, in this folder is another folder for each powder used in that firearm. In the powder folder is a page for each test done in that firearm with that powder, a page for each boolit tested, a page for any and all changes such as primer, COL, lube. Each page has chrono results and all details of the load, temp, humidity, date, any special combination of dies that may have been used such as the spud for the "M" die - Everything. Each main folder for the firearm has what I call a cover sheet for the firearm with a complete description of the gun including serial number, sights, twist rate, barrel length etc.

An Example:

<Folder> 308 Winchester TCR 26"
<folder> W748 - A separate page for every test done using 748 in this rifle
<folder> N-135 - A page for every test with N-135

<Folder> FA 357 9"
<folder H-110 - A page for every test
<folder> N-110 - A page for every test
<folder> 296 - A page for every test

<Folder> Ruger New Model Blackhawk 30 Carbine
<folder> SR 4759 - A page for every test
<folder> H-110 - A page for every test

And so on for every gun, every powder. All of these folders are in a main folder called Load Data. I click on "Load Data" which opens the list of all firearms, scroll down the list to the firearm I want & click on it which opens up the folders for each powder tested in that gun. Then click on the powder and a list of all loads with that powder opens.

It's really a lot simpler than trying to explain it, wish I could post a document. :(

And all ammo boxes are labeled with date, boolit, alloy, primer, powder & charge, COL

Rick

taiden
12-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I spent two days making this spreadsheet, sent my girlfriend right up the wall!

It's still a work in progress, and I haven't done many loads since I'm so new to this.

It takes your purchasing and loading data and creates a short report that allows you to see what your statistics are at a glance. It's very much evolving, who knows what features it will have in the future! I'm going to add more case data (cases in circulation, case reloadibility (reloads per case), range loss rate, etc) and allow it to handle different calibers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23865811/Photos/reloading/reload-ss-1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23865811/Photos/reloading/reload-ss-2.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23865811/Photos/reloading/reload-ss-3.png

Love Life
12-27-2013, 08:56 PM
On target is a great program as well.

Jailer
12-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I just use a basic excel spreadsheet to keep data. I like to keep targets too so I can see what the group looked like so I scan them and save them in a separate folder. My spreadsheet has a column for group size. I create a link there to the scan for the group so all I have to do is click on the group size and the scanned target pops up in a separate window. I do the same for the notes by creating a text file so I can keep all kind of detailed notes and still keep the basic excel page clutter free.

Bzcraig
12-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Embrase the future old farts... He he I resemble that remark!

JimP.
01-02-2014, 12:18 AM
i wrote my own loading manual and saved it in my computer with a backup copy on a zip drive. it is also printed out and kept in a large binder. every time i shoot new loads, the data is entered electronically in the load manual and is also saved on the zip drive. in jan i print a new manual and replace the manual in the binder. any time i need data, i can look in the binder or the load manual in the computer. JimP.

MT Gianni
01-02-2014, 12:23 AM
3 ring binders and spiral notebooks to the range. I lost some data on 5 1/4" floppies I would like to get back.

guncheese
01-02-2014, 10:11 PM
use Google docs for records (spreadsheets)
and i take lots of pix with the phone (the county range i shoot at has wifi so the pix are auto uploaded before i get home)
so all of my data is with me wherever i go
and then ill get silly and add notes to the pix
and either keep those in the cloud or on my own remote server
yup im a geek with guns

geargnasher
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
What? All that technology and targets are still generated MANUALLY? What gives? :kidding:

Gear

btroj
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
My best targets are produced electronically.

AlaskanGuy
01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
My Ipad prints out a near perfect paper plate.... Complete with ridges and everything.... But still cant seem to print the big black dote exactly in the middle....

:kidding:

btroj
01-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Hey AG, try the new target ap. It looks nice but seems to crash after one shot......

geargnasher
01-02-2014, 10:48 PM
My best targets are produced electronically.

Mine too, I just download one from the MyTargets site, slap it in Paint, click the "1/2-inch group" button, select number of holes and caliber from the drop-down menu, and past it in the image.

Gear

btroj
01-02-2014, 10:56 PM
1/2 groups are for sissies, you a sissy?

I use the .001 inch group size.

guncheese
01-03-2014, 01:33 AM
you know how much that crappy printer ink costs?
i used to use paper plates
but a fat sharpie and some copy paper works wonders

mrvmax
01-03-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a three ring binder where I print out my loads from Quickload, that has all the data I need to keep track of. I make any notes about how the load performed on the page I printed out. I also have a small notebook in the three ring binder to log any additional info.

Cherokee
01-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I started keeping records back in late 50's when I started loading for my 30/06. It has taken sevral forms over the ears but when PC's came out, I converted to PC records. I converted to WORD when it became available. I keep a data sheet for each load by cartridge and have the usual important data plus a record of chron, load history and performance history. Minor variations are noted on the record; if I change bullet or powder, I make a new record for that load. All loaded ammo is ID's by the cartridge and load number. I also number and keep the actual targets, storing them separately. Here is a copy of the basic page:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/DCS44256/Reloading/ReloadRecord.jpg

fishboy
01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I am a huge fan of paperless data. Loose leaf papers drive me crazy, especially when I am in a hurry to find something quickly.

It didn't take me long to make up my spreadsheet in Excel. I made a list of all of the info I wanted to collect and tailored my spreadsheet to have only what I wanted to record (it also only takes a few seconds to modify or add something to it later down the road.

It also allows me to keep my data nice and neat and if I wanted to ever print it out or share it with someone, it's extremely simple and easy to do. I also like to plot velocity graphs to show velocity curves. It's much easier to look at then just a bunch of numbers on a sheet of paper. My chrono also exports my data in an Excel format so I can just copy and paste the data without worrying if I fat fingered some numbers. Excel also let's me add pictures to my spreadsheets so I can have reference photos for my data. The greatest thing of all... If the formula doesn't already exist in Excel, all I have to do is create it one time and then just copy it to other cells for the information I want. Excel takes almost (notice the word almost) all of the human error out.

Here are a few screen shots of some of my data.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/gkiester/ChronoGraphs_zpsbbbf4305.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/gkiester/media/ChronoGraphs_zpsbbbf4305.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/gkiester/9mmloaddata_zps40faaadb.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/gkiester/media/9mmloaddata_zps40faaadb.jpg.html)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/gkiester/Capture_zpsfd2e4ada.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/user/gkiester/media/Capture_zpsfd2e4ada.jpg.html)

Anyways, this is what I do. It's simple to input my data once I formatted everything and set it up to do what I wanted it to do. All I have to do now is just copy and paste and let Excel do the work for me.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help out.

Greg

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 12:31 AM
cbrick is dead on. The advantage of having your development groups photographed is
to avoid doing the same worthless load over and over again every few years when you
forget that you already did it. Also, if you want to try out a new gun, look and see what
did well in a similar one and try some in that gun, or if you just need to load up some
ammo for a particular gun that you haven't shot in a while, go look at what was a good
one from previous testing.

I DO have all the groups backed up to several locations, esp to DVD AND to backup
hard drive and to SD card. I do not want to lose that data.

Also, it is pretty nice when somebody asks about a particular boolit and powder combo,
I can see if I have tested it and whether it worked for me, then post an image of
a real group.

Bill

dragon813gt
01-04-2014, 08:16 AM
you know how much that crappy printer ink costs?
i used to use paper plates
but a fat sharpie and some copy paper works wonders

Yep, that ink is expensive. That's why I use the copier at work and print them out a few hundred at a time :)

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I had to start keeping much better notes after getting into casting, just too much to remember.
Currently my "system" is a spiral bound note book for each weapon. Bore and chamber dimensions
as well as a drawing of same, on the inside of front cover. Loads, thoughts, ideas recorded.
When I load ammo for the range, I write down what it was, leaving room for range notes, like velocities,
condition etc. and leaving room at the right for the cut outs from the actual targets to get taped in the book.

fatnhappy
01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Count me among the excel users. It's extremely useful if you know a thing or two about statistics.

WestDivide
01-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Well, hello folks! I'm pretty new here, registered awhile ago, but haven't done much towards casting. Been reloading since 1973 tho', my first set up was from Herter's, I was shooting reloads for three ctgs for $53, sigh.....

Anyway, I developed what I consider a pretty good record system. I started with one big (8 x 11) hardbound note book from a chem lab, and every loading episode got recorded. I also defined and keep track of brass in that book. In recent years, I have a hardbound note book ($3 -$5 at Barnes & Noble) for each rifle. Handgun loading still recorded in the big note book. Then, each load gets a label on the box (20, 50, 100 rd), depending on rounds in a given lot. I make sheets of labels using WORD, and each lot is uniquely numbered, with a suffix number denoting times reloaded. Lots are also kept unique to each gun. I also keep targets, in large envelopes for each gun. Have a file cabinet with targets and sundry gun info in it. System has worked pretty well, and I know both what I'm loading now and what I did in the past. Data goes back to the 70's as noted.
Just FYI, -West

CGT80
01-06-2014, 03:54 AM
I made a simple sheet in excel that has data for 6 loads on one page. I fill in the gun at the top and each load has the basic info needed with comments to the right. I started to fill in the SD, ES, AVG, etc. numbers from my chrono into the comments part. I have new sheets for each gun. I make more sheets if I go over 6 loads. I should probably just use one sheet that has multiple pages. I forgot that I can print just what I need.

I print blank sheets for my 3 ring binder and hand write new loads. Evey once in a while I will put those into excel and then print them and put them in the folder. This gives me a hard copy to work from when at my load bench and a copy on the computer. It doesn't put all my eggs in one basket and I can flip through pages or just use a mouse.

I made my own label template for a 2"x4" sticker for my ammo boxes. I hand write on the labels but should probably just print the data for my high volume loads. I find that the pre-made load sheets and labels have too much info listed and they vary. Mine are simple and all look the same, not to mention cheap and always available.

I have a Mini 14 Target Model and an AR 15, so I write the gun in the name section. Sometimes I will put a note to chrono and check accuracy in that spot, or a name, as I load for other family members. 9mm ammo for my mom's XD and my XD only varies a bit in length, but my dad's 9mm is loaded very hot for an open gun. I would hate to mix up ammo when we are all at the range, or when it is just finished and sitting with my ammo. A name is much faster to pick out than a particular load, when reaching for a box of ammo.

I either barrel gauge or case gauge my competition ammo for pistol use and like to mark that it has been checked.