PDA

View Full Version : purdiest boolits i ever made

labradigger1
12-25-2013, 10:31 AM
As many of you already know consistiency is the key to casting good boolits.
I got up @ 4:30 this morning and it was 8° outside. Most of my family is dead so Christmas does'nt meen as much anymore around here.
I drank my usual pot of coffee, filled the wood stove up in the house, let the doggies out to potty and headed to the reloading room to cast some 429244's to feed my ever hungry super redhawk and my rossi 92.
I filled up the old lyman 61 with my usual mix of smelted ingots made of 48.5% lino, 48.5% of soft and 3% of 50/50 bar soldier. This mix usually test with my cabin tree DP tester right after casting @ 22 bhn.
I tried something different today in my technique however, instead of letting the pot get low and constantly adjusting the thermostat i would let the pot get about 2lbs low and place a fresh hot ingot from on top of the baseboard heater into the mix, wait about 2 minuites and flux. While waiting i would lay my dc mould on a 1" thick plate of aluminum i mount my lubesizers to act as a heat sink so the mold would not get to hot. Now, i usually get some pretty bullets as the mold comes up to temp but today was different. Every singke boolit came from the blocks looking just perfect. Shiny and good fillout. Usually some nice then mr. Frosty or mr. Wrinkle shows up to visit. I cast about 10 lbs then called it good.
I do not use a pid or casting thermometer. I think i may have finally found what works for me and i have been casting for years now. I cannot post pics with this tablet and usually suck at it w/ the i phone too. I could however email pics to someone if they would like to post them.
Good day thus far. I've got to load a few hundred rnds after i get them sized, gas checked and lubed with the bens red i made the other night. Merry Christmas everyone.
Lab

kevmc
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Merry Christmas Lab!!!
Sounds like you have the day off to a fine start!!

The 244 looks like a 421 with a GC, should be a pretty fine bullet!!!

Bzcraig
12-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Merry Christmas Lab! Sounds like you got a great present, great casting success!

labradigger1
12-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Merry Christmas Lab!!!
Sounds like you have the day off to a fine start!!

The 244 looks like a 421 with a GC, should be a pretty fine bullet!!!

Yep, the 244 does look like a 421 w/ gas check. I have a dc44-245 kt rcbs mold that cast just a horrible boolit! It casts a fin all the way around the nose and udersized @ the lowest driving band. I wish it cast well as i dont like being tied down to a gc design. I can use it w/o checks but when i lube/size it coats the bottom of the boolit. I have tried the meat tray trick and wiping but usually just "check" it.
Lab

MtGun44
12-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Send that mold back to RCBS, they will replace, most likely. That is one of the best of the
Keith clones, if the mold is right.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

labradigger1
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Send that mold back to RCBS, they will replace, most likely. That is one of the best of the
Keith clones, if the mold is right.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Not sure they would take it back,
used mold, i think it has been bubba'd
No receipt.
Probably voids any warranty
Lab

DLCTEX
12-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I'll bet RCBS will replace it even if it's bubbaed.

JSnover
12-26-2013, 10:48 AM
I do not use a pid or casting thermometer.

I don't use mine as much as I used to. You can tell if you're too hot or too cold. As you described, it's all about controlling the temp: pre-heating or cooling as needed and never running the pot low.

GLL
12-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Lab:

Look around for a 44-250KT. I like the full width bands and for some reason it just shoots better for me than the 44-245KT.
http://www.fototime.com/2CB4022C53F7A88/orig.jpg

Jerry

labradigger1
12-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Now that is a good looking boolit, i would actually prefer a heavier boolit.
I think i will try to return the 44-245 kt i have now and keep my eye out for the 250