PDA

View Full Version : Lee molds How to remove the handels

exblaster
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
How do you all remove the pins that hold the handles for Lee single and double cavity molds? I am sure this was posted before but the search function has eluded me so far. Thank you for all help

Exblaster

mooman76
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Knock the pins out but first you have to remove the crimp or dimple they put in it that holds the pin. If I remember right I used a punch to move the dimple back!

dubber123
11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Are you trying to save the moulds, or do you just want the handles? If you are just after the handles, you can easily tap the pins right out through the top, (sprue plate side), with a punch and hammer. The pins are only about 1/8" below the surface. I'm not sure how to remove them and save the mould. Maybe tap the pins in a little, drill the peened area at the end of the pins out, and use inertia to work them loose?

Morgan Astorbilt
11-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Exblaster,
Measure carefully, or eyeball if you can, and drill down from the top with a 1/16" or 3/32" drill, and tap them out through the bottom with a pin punch. You can then replace them without having to "upset" the top with a punch to hold them. I do this all the time, the only Lee molds I own, are the ones I use as "blanks" to lathe turn custom bullets.
Morgan

exblaster
11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Thank you for the help. I am trying to do some modifications on a Lee mold and was not sure how to remove the pins.
Exblaster

Buckshot
11-28-2007, 03:58 AM
...............Lottsa times they'll fall out on their own when you're casting :-). Not much help I know, sorry.

..............Buckshot

eka
11-28-2007, 07:39 PM
...............Lottsa times they'll fall out on their own when you're casting :-). Not much help I know, sorry.

..............Buckshot

:) Not long after I began casting, a pin came out of one side of my 8mm Lee Dbl. cavity. One side of the mould fell into my water bucket. I was sure that sucker was ruined. To my amazment, it was fine and has since gone on to cast many nice bullets. I have since drilled and tapped the block and put in a set screws.

Keith

Ricochet
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I had the handles slip off of a 6-cavity while I was knocking the boolits out into a water bucket. The hot mould, open, fell right into the cold water. Put the handles back on, warmed the mould back up, and went on casting. Couldn't find any problem with it.

exblaster
11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Well I removed the pins from my mold but I must have that one exception that makes the rule. I had to beat the tar out of the pins to get them out. I bent two hard drift punches in the process. How ever I now have a set of handles on my H&G two cavity mold and thy work very well. I did make shim washers to tighten up the fit but it was no big deal. While I was fooling around I threaded the Lee blocks and put screws in them.
Thanks to all of you who replied with advice.
Exblaster