PDA

View Full Version : I got a new toy for Christmas!

IROCZ
12-25-2013, 12:14 AM
From my friends and hunting buddies! A 1858 Uberti! I have lusted after this piece for months, couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

IROCZ
12-25-2013, 12:21 AM
First 6 at 15 yards. Its a .451 RB cast of plumbers lead and 30 grains of 3f. I settled on 35 grains of 3f Geox for about 850 fps and still excellent accuracy. It was in the 20's and I was shooting with gloves on! The shot that went left was my first shot and I know I pulled it!

Dean D.
12-25-2013, 01:19 AM
It sounds like you have some great friends. Enjoy your new "toy", it sure looks like lots of fun to me!

prsman23
12-25-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm going to need to start hanging out with your friends!

Hellgate
12-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship.

Driver man
12-25-2013, 08:55 PM
The Uberti 1858 remington is a beautiful revolver. I own one and shoot it every week. I use a .457 ball pushed by 23 grains of fff with a semolina fill between powder and ball. I put a daub of grease over the ball and cap with CCI no 11. Accuracy is excellent . Everyone takes notice when she goes off.

IROCZ
12-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks Guys, my friends are some of the greatest guys in the world. The accuracy is astounding. I have been shooting my 70's vintage Colt clones. This thing is a charcoal powered death ray! I fired 30 shots and the groups made me grin. If it was warmer out I would have stayed until I ran out of powder and ball! I cast the balls (.451) with a Lee aluminum mold, a late model one, about 3 months old. The balls didn't even look that great but they worked. I spent 2 cylinders full popping a gateraid bottle around at 35 yards with nary a miss! I used a "Revolver seal" that T.O.W. sent me by mistake when I ordered wads. They are like .44 caliber beeswax disks, I used them between the powder and the ball. I will order some proper wads or maybe a wad punch with my Christmas cash. Driver, why a .457 ball? Does it make for better accuracy? How hard is it to ram into the cylinder? I started with CCI #11s but they kept blowing off the unfired nipples, I switched to some antique Navy Arms caps and they stuck on just fine. Thanks again guys, this has been a great Christmas for me!

IROCZ
12-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Looks like the start of a beautiful relationship.

I believe you are correct on that one! I see more of these things in my future, maybe a 5 1/2 incher? Hmmmmm.

Driver man
12-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks Guys, my friends are some of the greatest guys in the world. The accuracy is astounding. I have been shooting my 70's vintage Colt clones. This thing is a charcoal powered death ray! I fired 30 shots and the groups made me grin. If it was warmer out I would have stayed until I ran out of powder and ball! I cast the balls (.451) with a Lee aluminum mold, a late model one, about 3 months old. The balls didn't even look that great but they worked. I spent 2 cylinders full popping a gateraid bottle around at 35 yards with nary a miss! I used a "Revolver seal" that T.O.W. sent me by mistake when I ordered wads. They are like .44 caliber beeswax disks, I used them between the powder and the ball. I will order some proper wads or maybe a wad punch with my Christmas cash. Driver, why a .457 ball? Does it make for better accuracy? How hard is it to ram into the cylinder? I started with CCI #11s but they kept blowing off the unfired nipples, I switched to some antique Navy Arms caps and they stuck on just fine. Thanks again guys, this has been a great Christmas for me!
Loading a .457 shaves a small ring but is not hard to ram. I have tried all size balls but get best accuracy with .457. I pinch the no 11 caps to get a good fit without losing any. I shoot about 2000 rounds a year . Where i live no 11 caps are all i can get and the cost is $14nz per 100. Powder is about $55.00 a 1lb can. Casting your own balls is about the only savings you can make. Using semolina keeps the bore clean and pressure up. I make my own lube mix and like to generate a bit of smoke, all part of the fun.

GunSlingerNM
12-26-2013, 01:14 PM
My experience has been that Uberti cylinders take 454 balls to seat properly, 451 in my Uberti guns will move around and even fall out. 457 balls work fine if they are pure lead (soft) as when they are being seated will cut off the excess and properly seal. As far as caps depends on the nipples and even brand of caps. #10 seem to work best but depending on availability #11 may be all one can find. It that is the case pinch them down.
After reading what you fellows in New Zealand are paying for powder and caps I guess I will not complain about cost of such here in New Mexico.

GunSlingerNM
12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I was at a local shop and he had several spare Uberti 1858 cylinders. I'm debating as to whether or not I should buy one or not....$55 each.
Wow, that is a good price. If you could PM me his contact email or phone # cuz I would love to buy one at that price.

IROCZ
12-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Driver, any idea on the velocity of your load. At $55 a pound I see why you want to save on the powder! And yes $55 a cylinder is a great price! I would love to get one myself!

Dustinxxx
01-01-2014, 03:42 PM
i got the same thing for christmas from my grandpa.. never owned a black powder before.. they are a blast to shoot.. kinda takes ya back in time lol

dragonrider
01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
You have some good friends. Sound like you have a really nice piece to play with. Have fun with it.

IROCZ
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
i got the same thing for christmas from my grandpa.. never owned a black powder before.. they are a blast to shoot.. kinda takes ya back in time lol

Your a lucky guy too Dustin!

IROCZ
01-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Will do Dragon, My friends are the best people in the world.

George Tucker
01-07-2014, 01:58 AM
The 1858 is my favorite black powder Revolver.

IROCZ
01-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Mine too Mr. Tucker. How can you not have deep affection for something that makes groups that make you look that good on the range! Thanks.

Captain*Kirk
01-18-2014, 02:13 AM
The Uberti Remmies are exceptional pieces.....congrats on a great find and some damn good friends!