PDA

View Full Version : S&W snubbie rear sight notch

FergusonTO35
12-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey guys. I've put about 250 rounds through my new S&W 642 so far and have gotten to where I am minute of bad guy at 15 feet with it. The 642 isnt a target gun but I know that I can do better with it. I think the tiny rear sight notch is giving me problems. On all my handguns I look through the notch and focus on the front sight, which usually results in neat clusters. On the 642, the notch is so small that the front sight almost disappears in it. I wonder if there is a way to make the notch a little more deep and wide without making the revolver look hacked up? I dislike doing irreparable mods to my guns but as it is the tiny notch makes shooting difficult. Might S&W be nice enough to do this for me?

rockshooter
12-24-2013, 10:13 PM
I'd check with a local gunsmith- this is a fairly simple task with a milling machine. I had the rear groove on my mod 60 widened- made a big difference for aging eyes.
Loren

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Blacking out the front sight helps a lot. In a pinch I'll use a black felt tip sharpie. It's not ideal because the ink has some gloss to it; but it's cheap & quick. Flat black paint (a little more permanent) or soot (very good contrast but fragile) also work. I've used a sharpie to darken the back notch as well. If you don't like it, a Q-tip and some alcohol will put it back to factory.

FergusonTO35
12-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks. I can see the front just fine, it's the small rear notch that's giving me problems. I sent an e-mail to S&W asking if they could do this for me, instantly received a form e-mail back saying they would reply within 5 business days. Hopefully they will help me out.

bhn22
12-24-2013, 11:46 PM
You could also check availability on a narrower front sight if you want more light around the front blade.

FergusonTO35
12-27-2013, 11:17 AM
S&W responded this morning. They just recommended that I send it in for their inspection and gave me a form for a shipping label. So I guess I'll send it them and hopefully they will open up the notch a little bit for me. I've always heard good things about their service department, hopefully that will be true!