PDA

View Full Version : I shot my first .45 Colt and .38 Special PC'ed bullets today.

C. Latch
12-24-2013, 09:14 PM
I did some shooting today; I had PC'ed some lee 358-158-tl bullets with HF red and loaded them over 4 grains of 700-x.

They shot horribly out of my 6" 686 (4" at 25 yards) but not bad out of a 4" Colt Official Police (2" at 25 yards). I wasn't thrilled with either group, but keep in mind that these bullets are mainly cast for practice with my J-frames, not formal shooting with larger revolvers. I don't cull much of anything when casting these. After today I think I'll make an effort to cast some with a bit more care and try them again.

I then shot some of my 305-grain flat points out of my .45 colt Ruger Bisley 5.5".

Previously I had loaded this bullet over 20.0 grains of N110 for 1045 fps and 22.0 grains for 1255'. I figured that 21.0 grains would split the difference and put me right at 1150', which is sort of where I want to 'land' with this bullet.

It didn't happen that way. I shot a handful over the chronograph and they averaged ~1025'. That's over 100' slower than I expected (I shot a few of the 22.0 grain load to check, and they were within the variation I'd previously seen out of that load, so there's no problem with the chrony).

Anyway, at 50 yards the 21.0 grain load put five into ~4.5". Not the worst group ever, but this bullet has been shooting into 3" at 50 yards with 22.0 grains (and did today also!).

So I lost a lot of velocity and a bit of accuracy with this bullet PC'ed.

When I loaded them, they were so much easier to seat (and size) and crimp, that I am sort of curious as to whether my crimp wasn't strong enough to hold the bullet for firm ignition. N110 isn't as hard to ignite consistently as H110 or other powders, but I'm wondering if maybe the PC is so much more slippery that I need to crimp harder. Add that to the list of stuff I still have to figure out.

VHoward
12-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I had to tighten my crimp on the 45 acp I load for when I changed to powder coating. Not much though.

el34
12-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Range reports have been a little sketchy so far and tend to say the same as you, but a few have had good results. I've shot many but only in a plinking environment with no way to see grouping so reports like yours are of great interest.

But hey- congratulations on going full circle, seems like just days ago you said you were interested in trying PC.

C. Latch
12-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I had to tighten my crimp on the 45 acp I load for when I changed to powder coating. Not much though.

You mentioned that in another thread the other day and it crossed my mind while I was shooting today. I'm probably going to try and tighten these up a bit.

C. Latch
12-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I loaded up another dozen rounds of the .45 load to try again tomorrow. I did two things differently (I know, I know, if I had endless time I'd change one variable at a time....). First, these bullets are cast from a COWW/SOWW/1% Pewter mix instead of COWW+1%.

Second, I adjusted my crimp die another 1/3 of a turn or so (with corresponding loosening of the seater, of course). I could definitely tell a difference in seating and crimping, both in feel and in looks; this ammo has a more pronounced crimp, these are ~0.003" shorter (despite the thickness of the coating).

I do NOT like heavy crimps - my theory is that less is better as long as you have 'just enough'. We'll see what these do, though.