PDA

View Full Version : Lyman de-capping pin

3jimbo3
12-24-2013, 04:19 PM
I was wondering if someone can help me out with something?

I have a set of Lyman dies for my 6.5 carcano and I fooled around and broke the de-capping pin and ended up with a stuck case as well. I have removed the case and the broken de-capper. The rod for the de-capping pin is similar to an RCBS,(it threaded all the way up). Both the rod and pin suffered unrepairable damage in the extracting of the stuck case.The die itself is unharmed in any way. My problem is the rod and pin. I can't find a replacement for the 6.5 carcano, I can find plenty of 6.5's but none are for the carcano. I am told that it takes a specific pin, is this true? I have looked on the Lyman website, on RCBS, even eBay. I have had several from eBay tell me they don't see why it wouldn't work, but they are also trying to sell their stuff. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for this die? If I don't find one soon I may have to buy another set of dies, I really don't want to do that, I would rather fix what I have already got. Thanks guys, Merry Christmas!

Hardcast416taylor
12-24-2013, 05:43 PM
If the decap die is from an older set, chances are it took a "headed" decap pin. I don`t know where you might find any of these short of contacting Lyman. I had such a problem as yours with an old set of .308 dies. I dug around the barn till I found some brad nails that had a head of the right size. I cut the point off the brad so it was still long enough and put it in the die rod holder. The nail trick worked for quite awhile, if it broke or bent I just put another nail in eventually I found a newer die set and retired the old set.Robert

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I would contact Lyman. Or check the threads and see if one from a RCBS will work, or try one of the newer ones. RCBS only has two length, so idk why Lyman would be any different.

Mod42
12-24-2013, 07:10 PM
This should help.
I had the same problem with a set of Lyman dies, and found what I needed at midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294846309&newcategorydimensionid=12760&searchscope=all

Le Loup Solitaire
12-24-2013, 09:34 PM
You might try making one (or more) from a size 4 finishing nail...with or without the head. Cut it to length, heat cherry red and quench in cold water to harden it. I've made several and they work fine. Dull the pointy end if you have one on the pin as it will punch through the spent primer. You can always cut the head of the nail off if you don't need it. LLS

Pavogrande
12-26-2013, 03:36 AM
I am a mite confused -- are we talking decap pin, decap rod, or expanding plug
or perhaps all three?
Lyman decap pins are headed and should be obtainable from several sources -
decap rods are 10-32 on the upper end but have a 6/48 thread for the expander ball and/or decap pin nut.
rcbs exp balls will not fit a lyman rod --

Pepe Ray
12-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Parvogrande (post#6) has the correct answers here.
The only possible exception would be if Lyman has changed the design of there dies reciently. I wouldn't know that as I havn't bought a set of Lymans (new) in several years.
I do have a supply of their headed pins and could spare a few. (Contact me )
Another point which may or may not be relevant is the contention that the Carcano may be unique in the 6.5mm family of cartridges.
Since they require a larger bullet (see Hornady product list) it's possible that the expander button, which retains the decapping pin,
could be of a larger O.D. This will have no bearing on its ability to punch out the primers, only in neck expansion.
FWIW
Pepe Ray