PDA

View Full Version : Horizontally swinging safeties - M1903 and M1896/98 Krag

Naphtali
12-24-2013, 02:19 PM
I think I detect a strong similarity between the cocking piece-striker-firing pin assemblies of M1903 and US Krags. I understand that after-market horizontally swinging safeties, similar to pre-64 Winchester M70s, have been available for M1903s. Perhaps with minor adjusting, would any of those after-market safety assemblies fit and function correctly on Krags?

John Taylor
12-24-2013, 02:51 PM
There is a slight difference in the safety for the 03 and 98, not sure if one could be made to fit the Krag. There is machine work required to install the safety although you can buy a bolt shroud with safety for the 98.

gnoahhh
12-26-2013, 03:18 PM
A tricky machinist could probably make one work on a Krag, but I gotta ask why. If low scope mounting is the goal, remember that a Krag ejects straight up and such a scope mounting isn't too hot for that reason. If the goal is merely to have a cool safety for on the Krag, then that's a different matter. If you pull it off, I for one would be interested in seeing it!

I love Krag sporters. When I'm on 'deer sniper' duty I like to sit with the safety flag straight up so it blocks my view through the receiver sights my Krags wear, as a reminder that the safety is on so I don't try pulling the trigger without first taking care of that small detail.