PDA

View Full Version : muzzle cover for Lee-Enfield?

Allemark
12-24-2013, 04:06 AM
Anyone can help with the identification of this copper cap with a British stamp? I think that is to protect the muzzle for the Lee-Enfield rifle (Mk.I or № 4 Mk.I), but not sure - I can't find this cup on the photo or scheme... Inner diameter - 16.5 mm.
http://savepic.su/3954848m.jpg (http://savepic.su/3954848.htm) http://savepic.su/3942560m.jpg (http://savepic.su/3942560.htm) http://savepic.su/3945632m.jpg (http://savepic.su/3945632.htm)
Line in the image in mm.

Sorry for google-English and thanks for your help :)

303Guy
12-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Allemark. So you're in Russia. That's interesting, I'm not aware of anyone else from your parts. Good to have you with us.

Nickle
12-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Alex, on the swaging sub forum is from around there. Both of you seem like nice guys.

Outpost75
12-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I have seen these in yellow brass, WW2 era, for the No.4 rifle. They may have been made in copper for the older Long Lee-Enfield, aka Lee Metford, which may gave been sent to Russia prior to your 1917 revolution The Short Magazine Lee Enfield has very little of the muzzle protruding from the nosecap, and I am not aware of a muzzle cap being made for it.

My condolences for the passing of your country's hero Kalashnikov. It was my great pleasure to meet him when he was a guest in our country. He was an honorable old soldier who loved his country and represented your great people with dignity and honor. We toasted together the war dead of the Allies who defeated Hitler's Germany.

The great peoples of Russia and America are more alike than we are dfferent.

Merry Christmas to you and Peace on earth. You are welcome here.

Multigunner
12-25-2013, 12:49 AM
I have seen these in yellow brass, WW2 era, for the No.4 rifle. They may have been made in copper for the older Long Lee-Enfield, aka Lee Metford, which may gave been sent to Russia prior to your 1917 revolution The Short Magazine Lee Enfield has very little of the muzzle protruding from the nosecap, and I am not aware of a muzzle cap being made for it.

The SMLE had several designs of muzzle covers. None were caps like this for obvious reasons.
One I found very interesting was a hinged sheet metal flap affixed to the nose cap.
IIRC there were canvas or leather bucket like contraptions as well.

Never heard of a muzzle cap for a No.4. Seems logical that there would be something of the sort. If that's what this is its an interesting find.

Allemark
12-25-2013, 04:22 AM
Thank you all responded,

Death of Mikhail Kalashnikov has Bereavement ... He is a great man. He was a communist , even after 1992: "I - a communist since 1952. In a country ruled by communists , I - the seventeenth child of a peasant family - could become a designer of small arms , to rise to the heights of professional excellence . Under the leadership of the Communist Party won my generation in a terrible war , built a powerful state , paving the way mankind into space, created the world's best examples of the art. this great Soviet legacy we live today. today Russian communists - it is a creative force that is aimed at reviving the greatness of our country. I'm communists not let you down!"
When asked whether he regretted that not amassed much wealth, Kalashnikov said:" You can not measure everything with money. For me, the most expensive , when people say:" Your weapon has saved my life!" Why me millions ? I live and so good "...

Allemark
12-25-2013, 04:42 AM

My condolences for the passing of your country's hero Kalashnikov. It was my great pleasure to meet him when he was a guest in our country. He was an honorable old soldier who loved his country and represented your great people with dignity and honor. We toasted together the war dead of the Allies who defeated Hitler's Germany.

The great peoples of Russia and America are more alike than we are dfferent.

Merry Christmas to you and Peace on earth. You are welcome here.
Thanks for your help,

In the area of ​​the hero-city of Novorossiysk in the 20th century there were fights of the Civil War in 1918-20 and throughout the year there were fights with the Nazis and Romanians in 1942-43 ... So find weapons of imperial purchases abroad to World War I and weapons obtained through Lend-Lease ...

To remove the last doubts, please tell me where I can find the outer diameter of the muzzle of rifles Lee-Enfield number 4 and Lee-Metford?

Thanks you for your concern :)

Allemark
12-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Oh, sorry, All a Merry Christmas!
In Russia celebrates Christmas on January 7 :)

Dan Cash
12-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Allemark,
Welcome and Merry Christmas.
I will measure the muzzle of one of my #4 rifles as soon as I finish feeding cattle- about 4 hours from now- and let you know the diameter.
Dan

Allemark
12-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Allemark,
Welcome and Merry Christmas.
I will measure the muzzle of one of my #4 rifles as soon as I finish feeding cattle- about 4 hours from now- and let you know the diameter.
Dan

Thanks Dan, it would be very helpful.
I found the schemes of Lee-Metford rifle, her muzzle cap has an another form for protecting the muzzle and open front sight at the same time...

andy h
12-26-2013, 12:13 PM
The outer diameter of my 1944 no 4 is .595" or 15.1mm.

Allemark
12-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks Andy!
Now I have no version ... difference of 1.4 mm is too much for muzzle cap :(
Perhaps it is something else. Does anyone know which plant put the stamp number 8?

BruceB
12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Allemark, a very warm welcome to you!

When I was issued #4 Rifles in the Canadian Army, there were NO muzzle covers with the rifles, nor did I ever hear or see of such a beast during my service. (There was also no muzzle cover issued for the later FN FAL rifles in Canadian service, either.)

The #4 came with a pull-through, an oil bottle, and a webbing breech cover, which could be snapped-on to protect the entire action/magazine area of the rifle.

That was it....

I realize this item has the British Broad Arrow mark, but the Canadian Army tended to follow British examples rather slavishly in such matters, and I never did see anything resembling the cover in question.

How would it be held on?

Allemark
12-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks Bruce,
Version muzzle cap is not tenable.
Maybe it's a detonator cap for artillery shell or mine, I am looking for information which of them we have received in WWI and lend-lease. I have found very few objects with stamps, especially the British ...
If I correctly understood, the stigma put on all British military equipment, even in wartime. On the other hand, usually do not represent the crown on garbage, I guess :)

john hayslip
12-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Allemark, Just reading an article on the Royal Armories. Perhaps they will answer your question.
www.royalarmouries.org.uk
or
nfcenquiries@armouries.org.uk
Note the extra "u" in the British spelling.

Allemark
12-29-2013, 05:09 AM
John, thank you for the great link!
I apologize for the lack of spelling, I translate from Russian using Google and intuition. It is a pity that they fail me, I'll apologize more :)

Nickle
12-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Allemark, you're doing just fine.

The spelling and translation might not be perfect, but it's actually better than what some people say anyways. And their native language is English already.

Interesting subject, by the way.

Allemark
01-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Thank you all for your patience!
Happiness, health and good luck to all in the New Year!