PDA

View Full Version : Is lubing before sizing TL bullets necessary?

philthephlier
12-23-2013, 12:38 PM
I have read the reason to do this is to prevent the lube die from leading up. I have read that some don't lube first and have no die leading issue? Please educate me!!

Beagle333
12-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I have never had a die lead up.... but I always tumble very lightly and let that dry, size, then tumble again..... if that's what you're asking. It just makes the sizing go so much more easily, and helps prevent skirts on the boolit if you are sizing down much.

(if you can't just tumble and shoot as-cast...)

seaboltm
12-23-2013, 12:45 PM
I dont lube before sizing and I have not had any problems. Most of the TL bullets drop from my molds needing virtually no sizing. I just do it to make myself feel better. Every once in a while one will push through hard. Seems to happen more with 358 mold than the 430 mold.

geargnasher
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Generally, the boolits need some sort of lube or problems can result. If you use 45/45/10 or Recluse Lube (you can make it or buy it from White Label Lubes), a very light, quick-drying first coat does the trick, just make sure it's DRY or it won't be much of a lube, same with straight liquid Alox.

You can also use dry silicone spray, spritz the boolits with a soapy water mix and let them dry before sizing, roll every third or fourth one on a case lube pad before sizing, etc.

Gear

myg30
12-26-2013, 10:56 PM
I found un lubed boolits got deformed when pushed thru the sizer depending on how much sizing was needed. I size in a lyman 450.
Gear has good advice. Anything better than nothing.

Mike

JWFilips
12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
I have an alternate method that works for me; I drop the "to be sized boolits" on a rag that is saturated with Johnson's Paste wax.
I roll them around a bit, then Run them thru the proper Lee sizer ( either stock or custom ground size) Then once out of that.... they are ready for a bath in Recluse's 45/45/10 formula Then dry & load!

35remington
12-30-2013, 12:17 AM
No lube on the bullets whatsoever when sizing them will eventually get you if the bullets are plainbased. A little is beneficial.

Said by a guy that learned the way that teaches the best lesson......the hard way.