PDA

View Full Version : Small Rifle primers??

750k2
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I have a bunch of Rem 6 1/2's left over from a hornet project and would
Like to know if anyone has used these in their .357 mags with the likes of
H110 and 296??
If so did you adjust your start data?
Any help on this is appreciated.
Tanx

Bullshop
11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Be careful! A rifle primer may ride high in a pistal case and cause an unplaned detonation. iF THEY DONT SEAT AT LEAST FLUSH OR BETTER YET BELOW FLUSH WITH THE BASE OF THE CASE i WOULDNT USE THEM.
Rats! This blasted machine anyway! I aint a gonna typ it again.
BIC/BS

dubber123
11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I worked up a load in a Smith 28 with heavy bullets and used CCI small rifle primers for their thicker cups. This revolver was prone to piercing primers, and the CCI sm rifle primers solved it. I don't know how hard the Rem primers are, but the CCI's will misfire in some revolvers with lighter firing pin strikes. My mod 28 had no problems. This is just my experience. Good luck.

Rick N Bama
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I've used Winchester SR primers in my Smith M686 with no problems. They seemed to help with a load I developed using a J-Word and Power Pistol powder.

18 hits out of 21 shots on clays at 100 yards proved they worked just fine:), YMMV.

Rick

Blammer
11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I'd use em, I don't think they are different heights but a high primer of any sort is something to always watch for.

happy7
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
As far as I know, large rifle primers are longer than large pistol, but small rifle and pistol are same size, just the rifle are thicker.

wiljen
11-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I use SR primers in 357 Max all the time, matter of fact the factory spec was to use them. As best I recall the max was just a stretched Mag. I never heard any reference to having to change the primer pocket to handle the SR primers.

Newtire
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I would use them as long as they seat below the surface like has been mentioned already. I use small rifle primers in my .32-20 pistol but that cartridge was a rifle cartridge to begin with. They fire every time-Ruger Balckhawk.

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 03:43 AM
I ended up with a bunch of CCI Small Rifle primers left over from my .223 days.

I loaded a few hundred into .357Mags I shoot from a Marlin lever action-- no problems.

I've also loaded a thousand or so in .380 for a buddy's Class III 'squirt gun'.
It does have a fixed firing pin and fires from a open bolt, but they work fine in it too.

spurrit
12-02-2007, 03:54 AM
I'd use em, I don't think they are different heights but a high primer of any sort is something to always watch for.

As far as I know, large rifle primers are longer than large pistol, but small rifle and pistol are same size, just the rifle are thicker.

The only issues I've had using large rifle primers in large pistol cartridges was in tight revolvers. The large rifle primers will have to be set in extra deep, or they will cause your gun to hang up when they come into contact with the recoil shield.

Had no problems whatsoever using them in .45 acp.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Ive used them with no trouble other then missfires. So i wouldnt recomend them for anything but plinking. There not going to be reliable enough for hunting loads.

Mugs
12-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I use Rem. 7 1/2's in all my .357's, a carry over from shooting 357 Max. never a problem.
Mugs

Dale53
12-02-2007, 12:14 PM
The .454 Casull loading data specifies small rifle primers... I have never used them in other caliber pistols except in the TC Contender with various cartridges (.22 Hornet, .30 Carbine and other "Rifle" cartridges).

Other than requiring you to work up your loads again, for safety, I see no problem. However, they may or may not be as accurate as small pistol primers in the same application.

Remington 6½'s do not have as heavy a cup as their 7½'s which would be a plus for revolver use.

Dale53

mstarling
12-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Have used 10s and 10s of thousands of WSR primers in hot 38 Super. Cup is tougher and less likely to pierce at higher pressures than the small pistol primer. No problem with fit or function in firearms with enough hammer fall to ignite them.

Must develop load with the primer that you'll actually use as the rifle primer is very likely to be hotter than the pistol primer would be.

Just follow the good sense rules of reloading and workup carefully!