PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the T/C Pro Hunter?

mrvmax
12-23-2013, 12:00 AM
I just ordered the TC Pro Hunter frame and a 500 S&W barrel. If it turns out to be a decent shooter I will buy other barrels. I was originally going to buy the H&R Handi rifle but I thought this would be a better option. After reading a little about it I see people have had issues. I guess I will find out soon enough.

35 shooter
12-23-2013, 12:47 AM
I've got the pro hunter in 35 whelen and my brother has one in the h&r. Both shoot great with j words and cast boolits. You'll see complaints about both type guns if you stay on the internet enough. Since you have the pro hunter Bellm's TC's is one place that can fix or tell you how to fix any potential problems that occur. I'll make a bet that you won't have any tho.

I had plans for other bbls. for my encore but the whelen has proved so versatile it's still the only one i have.:-D Good luck with yours, betcha love it......35shooter

AlaskanGuy
12-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I WANT one... I have always wanted one.. I dont care what is said about them.. I want one...

How much did you have to pay for that sweetie???

wlc
12-23-2013, 05:05 AM
I've got a prohunter with 20 inch 500 barrel in stainless. Can't remember what they call it something with a "K". Haven't got to shoot it a whole lot, but so far like it. I'm about to order a custom 357 Max barrel with a 1:12 twist from MGM so I can shoot up to 300 grain cast in it through a suppressor. Ought to be fun.

mrvmax
12-23-2013, 09:13 AM
I WANT one... I have always wanted one.. I dont care what is said about them.. I want one...

How much did you have to pay for that sweetie???
My hobby is selling firearms (I have an FFL but do not make enough to live off of so I have a full time job) so I get it wholesale. I think it was about $580 for it.

mrvmax
12-23-2013, 09:17 AM
I've got a prohunter with 20 inch 500 barrel in stainless. Can't remember what they call it something with a "K". Haven't got to shoot it a whole lot, but so far like it. I'm about to order a custom 357 Max barrel with a 1:12 twist from MGM so I can shoot up to 300 grain cast in it through a suppressor. Ought to be fun.
It's called KATAHDIN CARBINE , I cannot tell if there is a difference or if all the 500's are KATAHDIN CARBINE . All I know is that I got the 20" ss fluted barrell.

Doc_Stihl
12-23-2013, 09:19 AM
I have a 500 S&W encore barrel. I've had a couple others in the past. They've all shot well. The Pro-Hunter Katahdin barrels handle and balance REALLY well in my opinion. I really like using the Lee hollow base improved minnies over trail boss or unique. Makes for a low recoil high impact load.

Encores offer alot of options. Between good deals on used barrels and the good custom barrels available they'll do just about anything.

wlc
12-23-2013, 04:18 PM
It's called KATAHDIN CARBINE , I cannot tell if there is a difference or if all the 500's are KATAHDIN CARBINE . All I know is that I got the 20" ss fluted barrell.

That's it. Thanks!! I had brain lock and was too lazy to go look in the safe.

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 12:55 AM
I have had several T/C guns, and the NEF/H&R is a better platform..

Superduty
12-24-2013, 09:20 AM
I have a pro hunter with several barrels. My most used barrel is a 22" 45/70 that's blue it looks great on the ss frame I carry it for my go to hunting rifle.

TCTex
12-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I have a SS Pro Hunter I bought with a 460 S&W barrel. I haven't had any problems with to date and I shoot more than average.

The hammer is a little harder to cock compared to the standard model FWIW. But the lock time is very fast.

Duane

bearcove
12-24-2013, 11:22 PM
T/C's are great! Some quirks to be learned about. BUT! 1 frame will do everything from a 22lr pistol to 458 win mag rifle. Some have even done .600 nitro express.

mrvmax
12-25-2013, 12:07 AM
I went to the website 35shooter mentioned and ordered a few things to make sure it shoots well. Thanks for the input.

35 shooter
12-25-2013, 12:46 AM
mrvmax you're very weicome. I don't have any problems with mine and the bbl. i have, but i think i'm gonna order a headspace gauge from him just in case i buy more bbls. That one thing is the main thing i like about the Encores and Contenders , adjustable headspace via shims behind the firing pin.

Crawdaddy
12-25-2013, 01:13 AM
I thought I had one for about an hour. I answered an add in the local newspaper and met the guy in the parking lot of the Sportsmans Warehouse. I didn't look very close because we were in public.

I get home to admire it and what I had was a Hunter, not a Pro Hunter. It is the first version from years back and in mint condition. I went back to the ad to see whose mistake it was and it was mine. I am happy with it but barrel availability is limited.

I will live vicariously through others until I get one.

Post pics.

35 shooter
12-25-2013, 03:32 AM
I thought I had one for about an hour. I answered an add in the local newspaper and met the guy in the parking lot of the Sportsmans Warehouse. I didn't look very close because we were in public.

I get home to admire it and what I had was a Hunter, not a Pro Hunter. It is the first version from years back and in mint condition. I went back to the ad to see whose mistake it was and it was mine. I am happy with it but barrel availability is limited.

I will live vicariously through others until I get one.

Post pics.

I only know about the pro hunters so i'm just asking, a pro hunter bbl. won't fit your frame?

mrvmax
12-25-2013, 07:10 AM
I bought the whole kit he offers, the tune up kit which includes the headspace tools, springs, hing pins etc.

grampa243
12-25-2013, 09:27 AM
I only know about the pro hunters so i'm just asking, a pro hunter bbl. won't fit your frame?

all Encore barrels will fit the same frame.. but may not fit the forend.

grampa243
12-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I have the The Pro-Hunter Katahdin 45-70 barrel

and a The Pro-Hunter 28'' 243win barrel.

both shoot cast bullets very well for me..

and i'm looking to find a 30 cal barrel in a cast friendly caliber next :)
(really wish they made a 30-30win)

TCFAN
12-25-2013, 10:53 AM

They did make some rifle barrels for the Encore in 30-30. I have a 24 inch blue bought from Midway several years ago. I have also seen some stainless steel barrels in 30-30 on the Midway web site. ......Terry

TCTex
12-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Ya, that was about the time TC moved there plant and the custom shop liquidated all the barrels they had. I ended up a few barrels like a 15in 414 SM and 15in 338-06 in the Encore that are just treasures!

leadman
12-26-2013, 05:01 AM
I have a Pro Hunter with several barrels. It came with the 28" 7mm Rem Mag barrel. Like most any single shot they can suffer from excessive headspace due to varying clearance from the breech face to the back of the barrel.
The Bellm headspace gauge is not necessary, even though I have one. I just use an automotive feeler gauge between the case head and breech now. I fireform my 7mm brass as the distance from the front of the rim to the shoulder on new brass is way short. 20gr of Unique, fill with COW, wax plug, fire. I set the headspace a .0015" using the feeler gauge and adjusting the sizer die.
Was talking with T/C right after they were bought by S&W and the subject of spring came up for these. Seems if they find aftermarket spring in the gun they might void the warranty. Don't know if this is changed or not.
I bought a couple of the Custom Shop unmarked barrels from a sporting goods store in Minnesota. One is a 15" stainless 6PPC, the other is a 16" 243 Win,blued. The 6PPC will shoot abouut 4" to 5" at 485 yards.

crappie-hunter
12-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Have two Encore frames and two contender frames, and a safe full of barrels. I hate the Encore's there heavy ,ugly, bulky, and I can't make them shoot. The contenders on the other hand are light easy handling look much better than the encore better triggers and shoot rings around the Encores I have, but you are limited with caliber options for the contender.

Just my opinion, I have been trying to get someone to trade me a contender frame for an encore frame but so far no takers.

Crawdaddy
12-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Ya know, I never checked that out. I dont really want to buy one to find out, I need to find someone close that has one to check it out. I'll try Google, maybe there is something out there.

It is also called a TCR 87 Hunter.

35 shooter
12-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Ya know, I never checked that out. I dont really want to buy one to find out, I need to find someone close that has one to check it out. I'll try Google, maybe there is something out there.

Crawdaddy just give TC (smith&wesson) a call. As posted above i think it just requires a different fore stock. Hope it works for you.

Crawdaddy
12-27-2013, 11:52 PM
I will do it monday morning. Thanks!

TCFAN
12-28-2013, 12:40 AM

The TCR 87 Hunter will not take a Encore barrel. The 87 was not made for very many years and they have their own barrels that fit only that style rifle. At least that is what I have been told in the past...............Terry

bdicki
12-31-2013, 09:46 AM

http://www.eabco.com/barels01.html

bdicki
12-31-2013, 09:49 AM

TCR 87 is not an Encore platform, Encore barrels will not fit.