PDA

View Full Version : Leatherwood / HiLux "Sniper" Scope Mounts....A Review

rbertalotto
12-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I finally got around to writing a quick review on some very inexpensive Unertl type external scope mounts being offered from Leatherwood / HiLux Optics Co.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/rvb1001rbertalotto/William%20Malcolm%20Scope%20Mounts/534283_zps942f5176.jpg

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/rvb1001rbertalotto/Stevens%2044/DSC_5593_zpsaf631649.jpg

You can read the review with tons of pictures here:

www.rvbprecision.com

L Ross
12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you Roy. I have two of the 3X Malcolms and one 6X but I did not know about the improved mount.

Duke

Keith Andersen
12-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Thank you Roy.
I been looking for a scope for my failing eyes, just can't read the long range number boards and the black dot is getting hard to see also.
The question I have for you is; the mounts, what is the max on elevation you can get with that short scope??

Keith

Don McDowell
12-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Keith the elevation available will depend on the mount spacing. But looking at the picture of those mounts they don't look to be very handy to run.
BACO sells the leatherwood Malcolm scope with a set of Dan Zimmerman's Unertl mounts that are very dependable and repeatable, and will with the 7.2 inch spacing get a 1000 yd zero.
But to tell the truth after messing with that setup, best bet in the end is go with MVA, or keep checking with DZ Arms, as they are in the process of offering their own complete bpcr scope.
Just looked those mounts up on Optics planet, they are click adjustable, that makes them ineligible for bpcr competiton , unless you declick them, and also they say there's only 125 minutes of elevation possible, that might get by for sillouette, but may leave a person hanging in Creedmoor.

rbertalotto
12-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi Keith,

What Don said........125 MOA elevation...Depending on cartridge ballistics and scope block spacing....You'll need to do some math. With a 38-55 I have no problem at my 500 yd range, scope blocks are 7.25" apart.

Like all things in life......it's all about Cost VS Performance. If I was flying across the country with a multi-thousand dollar rifle to compete in an important competition......would I use these mounts? Of course not! I'd spend the $1000+ for MVA or some other top quality set up. But for Sunday Morning target shooting and local "Buffalo" matches, these rings and scope are perfect.

The mount I built using micrometers is superior to any mount I've yet had the opportunity to use. But with my prototype shop time at $150 an hour.....They become stupid expensive to produce.

Good Luck and good shooting with what you decide!

Merry Christmas!

Don McDowell
12-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Person really needs to do the comparative shopping thing before hurling around costvsperformance.
MVA Winchester b5 scope with the #2/unertl type mount, 650$
Leatherwood usmc sniper scope 545$
Leatherwood Malcolm scope + their unertl mounts going to crowd 600$
Leatherwood with the DZ arms unertl mounts, 699$
No cheap way to go.

country gent
12-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I just recieved the Montana Vintage arms malcomn scope a week ago I ordered it with the creedmoor mounts and moa knobs. I also ordered 3 set of blocks, I will drill and tap all my bpcr rifles now when weather warms up some and this scope will be able to be used on all of them easily. I got the 6X model and am mounting it on 17" centers. I have it taped on the hepburn with correct eye relief right now and its treally a good looking set up. I may eventually oder taller rear blocks to put some elevation into the mounts and out of the adjustments.

Keith Andersen
12-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Thank you guys.

I learned long ago to get the best you can afford and don't look back. Especially for glass.
I wont need the scope for a few months till the match seasons start again

Don McDowell
12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Shooting these Malcolm scopes is quite a bit different than putting a set of weaver mounts and a bushnel scope on a modern gun. Lots of things to be mindful of, and a good bit of time spent learning the thing before launching into the match season will be time well spent.

ohland
12-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Looking at a few sites, so far about $240.

Leatherwood Hi-Lux 17-Inch Short Scope Mount Set with 1/2-Inch Bases M334MT Interesting, the turrets look... period...

Don McDowell
12-24-2013, 11:15 AM
ohland, there is not reference point on those standard mounts that come with the short Malcolm scopes. They're sort of alright if you're going to zero in one load at one range and forget about it,, but if you want to be able to change things and come back to a certain zero, then you'll need better mounts, and so there goes another hunk of change.

country gent
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Don Im hoping to get mine mounted up next week on the 2 rifles here, I have the blocks and access to a bridgeport with digital readout at a friends. Ive read the instructions in the MVA owners manual and so am ready. Ive looked at several in person and in pictures also. One thing unique to these scopes is the front ring / stop is what sets the eye relief. The back is placed at the applicable ring spacing and is there for adjustments only. My creedmoor mounts also have windage front and back. I plan on setting uo of centerline of bore with pins and swinging center in with an indicator on the pin in the same fashion as a jig grinder/ jig bore. The big issue will be getting everything shimed straight and true On the tapered octagon barrel. Im pretty sure after 35 years as a tool and die maker I can do this. (the local shop qouted a min 120.00 for the 4 holes). The sharps will be easier since its half octogons barrels round section is straight . Im hoping just after the 1st of the year to do it.

Don McDowell
12-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Getting the bases squared up with the bore will be the biggest thing so that a true mechanical windage zero can be set.
Nice thing about the MVA's over the Leatherwood is the abilitly to focus the scope at any yardage and correct the parallax.
I found out quite by accident/hardway, with the Leatherwood, you don't want to switch eyeglasses from one day to the next, it will change your elevation zero by several minutes..That doesn't do much to help your two day total...

Jon K
12-24-2013, 11:11 PM
The Leatherwood reticle is not centered in the tube...sort of like an egg.
I mounted them(2) in MVA,DZ,Unertl mounts...to no satisfaction.
Don is right on set it up for one range...

Jon

ohland
12-25-2013, 02:24 PM
They're sort of alright if you're going to zero in one load at one range and forget about it

My dad said the "vintage" mounts are a bit fiddley to tighten down without messing up the adjustment you just dialed in.

Don McDowell
12-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes and if you have to change that adjustment, and then try to come back to it your screwed.
The DZ mounts are a big help, but then add considerable cost to those leatherwoods, so that in the end an MVA or used lyman or unertl etc much less trouble, and only spending the money once....