PDA

View Full Version : Maine weather

jeepyj
12-22-2013, 06:23 PM
We are getting the raw end of the weather stick. We are on the third day of freezing rain, sleet, and the we hole shebang. Many around us are without power hopefully not as long as the last time. Several inches of mealy, heavy snow. Advisory posted until mid day tomorrow. We're just hoping our power stays on through the night. Even the 3/4 ton plow truck is having a hard time with this one.
Jeepy

plmitch
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Boy I don't miss that. Nice a warm here.

gray wolf
12-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Bad here also in the mountains of Maine, very bad, ice all over the place and it ain't stopped yet.

FISH4BUGS
12-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Inland from Portsmouth NH about 25 miles....it just started to freeze @ about 6 pm Eastern....about 1/8" of ice now. Slated for a half an inch or more of ice.
Bring it on......generator fueled up, 50 gallons of backup fuel, freezer full of food, 7 cords of wood.......I made sure the casting pots were wired into the circuit for the generator backup....I can cast when the power is out.....what a treat!
Bring it on........:grin:

jeepyj
12-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Just got back from plowing another round ......WOW rough going. I can't wait until this one passes
Jeepyj

Beau Cassidy
12-22-2013, 11:47 PM
I spent a few months up in Farmington, Maine a little over a year ago. I can imagine it gets mighty cold there. I left 2 days before thanksiving, 2012 and it was 16 degrees! I hope all of you guys don't have too many problems.

bangerjim
12-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I spend almost 2 hours shoveling sunshine yesterday to get the car out of the driveway to go to church. :bigsmyl2:

Sorry guys! Been there.....done that........for most of my life. AZ winters are like a balmy spring day in your area.

banger

jeepyj
12-23-2013, 02:28 PM
I spend almost 2 hours shoveling sunshine yesterday to get the car out of the driveway to go to church. :bigsmyl2:

Sorry guys! Been there.....done that........for most of my life. AZ winters are like a balmy spring day in your area.

banger

If it wasn't for the family I think AZ would be where I would relocate
Jeepyj

Iowa Fox
12-23-2013, 02:45 PM
We got the ice here on Friday into Saturday about 1/8-3/16 of hard slick shinny ice. Saturday night we got 7-8 inches of fluffy snow on top of it. I barely got the driveway cleared off as I couldn't stay standing. I need to get some of those ice grippers that strap to the bottom of your boots. Sun is out today but cold, hope it evaporates some of the ice. I'm only going out for the mail and to bring wood in today.

FISH4BUGS
12-23-2013, 04:24 PM

banger
True....but it is those 120 degree days that make the winters here in New England tolerable.
The is no suich thing as bad weather....it is just under dressed people!

sundog
12-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Close to a half inch of ice here from 12/21 storm and 28dF today. Lot's of tree damage, everything covered. Roads are okay as ground was warm during storm. Electric is on here, but not for many neighbors.

Oh yeah, meant to mention that I lived in Belgrade Lakes years ago. I remember snow, and lot's of it. And cold, all the way down to ambient -42dF.

square butte
12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I have a feeing there will be a bunch more trees available for firewood

felix
12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
This time, nothing here, Corky! Last time, about 10-15 days ago, we got the 1/2 inch of ice plus 5.5 inches snow. Streets were absolutely clear after a couple hours of sun. ... felix

762 shooter
12-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Summer Today, 67 degrees this morning, 85 degrees and sunny. It's going to be Fall tomorrow, 46 degrees in the AM high of 55. It's going to be Winter on Christmas Day, 26 in the AM high of 47.

gray wolf
12-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Bad here also in the mountains of Maine, very bad, ice all over the place and it ain't stopped yet.

UP-date----still ain't stopped

Riverpigusmc
12-23-2013, 09:58 PM
it only got to 81 here today...winter has arrived :)

bangerjim
12-23-2013, 10:27 PM
True....but it is those 120 degree days that make the winters here in New England tolerable.
The is no suich thing as bad weather....it is just under dressed people!

Those "under-dressed" gals, when it is 120, make it all worth it!!!!!!! :drinks:

banger

Col4570
12-24-2013, 03:00 AM
At present the UK is undergoing a battering from storms from the south west,Trees are being uprooted and structural damage has been reported in many areas.I keep looking at my Roof with fingers crossed,so far things are OK.A small taste of what you folks endure on the Great Plains.

Col4570
12-24-2013, 04:10 AM
Further,during the night rescue services have been out rescueing people from vehicles trapped in floods.Railway tracks have been damaged and Trees are across tracks.Channel Ferries have been kept in due to heavy seas.A realy wild night last night.Flights have been canceled at many airports.

beezapilot
12-24-2013, 05:33 AM
I lived up there in Maine for 6 years, they used to tell me "If you can't stand the winters, you don't deserve the summers", so moved to a state that says "If you like the winters, you'll dodge hurricanes in the summers".

Col4570
12-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Our country is only as big as some of your states so the weather conditions are similar in all counties.As I write this the wind has dropped and there is some blue sky showing through the Clouds but there is still cause for concern in the South East.I live 200 miles north of the present problems but last night here was noisy.

quilbilly
12-24-2013, 08:08 PM
We are getting the raw end of the weather stick. We are on the third day of freezing rain, sleet, and the we hole shebang. Many around us are without power hopefully not as long as the last time. Several inches of mealy, heavy snow. Advisory posted until mid day tomorrow. We're just hoping our power stays on through the night. Even the 3/4 ton plow truck is having a hard time with this one.
Jeepy Now I know who stole our weather! Send it back! We are in a drought.

bangerjim
12-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Further,during the night rescue services have been out rescueing people from vehicles trapped in floods.Railway tracks have been damaged and Trees are across tracks.Channel Ferries have been kept in due to heavy seas.A realy wild night last night.Flights have been canceled at many airports.

I feel for you! We were over there several years ago and drove from Wales to Oxford on the motorway. OMG! There was one of those storms that came ashore and hit right where we were. Driving was almost impossible. We had a luggage rack with 4 suitcases up there! I was waiting for the wind to take off the car roof. Rain was horizontal.

Made it thru OK............

My linen did not! Ha.......ha! worst driving I have had other than in Wyoming snowstorms!

bangerjim

Hickory
12-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Haven't you guy's heard that global warming has been over for 15 years.
You just forgot what the "good ol' days" were like. This might last for a while.
Algore is thinking up another dodge for the turn around, you can count on it.

jeepyj
12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Update... Many Many still without power. Tonight the temperature is going to dip in the single numbers this is bad new for our hole area. Our trees are full of ice and the wind is going to blow in which means more outages. I had been in a plow truck for 3 days straight for more hours than I care to count and when I got home last night it was evident as I was driving along the last couple miles I was one of those without power. About that time as I started to hop out of the 3/4 ton my feet never even slowed down and I obtained a good sized bump on the side of my head as well as a knee and elbow. Just one of those days I don't care if I ever repeat. Left again today at 5:00 am and finished making it safe for the folks that rent from our company by 1:00pm. Another one in the history books at least from the plowing / Sanding side. Now we just got get the power lines back up. Marry Christmas my friends here at Cast Boolits.
Jeepyj

Col4570
12-25-2013, 03:17 AM
bangerjim,it can be quite nice here but when those offshore storms come in it can catch you by surprise.One day you can be bathing in bright sunlight the next you can be struggling through water.

AkMike
12-25-2013, 04:09 AM
If you guys think the weathers bad there.. Loo at Starmac's thread ,"Let it Snow"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224437-Let-it-snow

You'll be thankful for what you've got.