PDA

View Full Version : Being a DIY'er really sucks sometimes

TXGunNut
12-22-2013, 01:03 PM
I live in a rural subdivision, have two acres with a manufactured home, a few outbuildings and an on-site sewage facility to maintain. OSSF is an aerobic system and I've gotten very familiar with it's operation over the past several years. Repair calls invariably run $500 or more so I've learned to repair it myself. Yesterday the malfunction alarm went off, luckily after I'd gotten most of my laundry done. Slogged out there in the cold mud-we had 2-3 inches of rain Friday night-and pulled the cover to check the pump and wiring. Concrete cover broke; item #1 on materials list.
Wiring checked out good so had to pull the pump. Screen was clogged but cleaning it didn't help. Motor was trying to come on but was locked up. Disassembled pump from motor; pump was free, motor is toast. No local retail source for the pump (Saturday afternoon) so I ordered one from a nearby company, expecting delivery Tuesday. I've done business with them before, good prices and they carry the components my system uses. Headed out for electrical supplies and the concrete cover to do the re-install and maybe replace some ugly splices. Groundwater is seeping into one of the tanks so considering buying a temporary pump to drain the third chamber.
I'm saving $200-300 but seems I'm earning every penny of it. Good thing I know how to take a "bath" in a 2-quart saucepan, lol.

Wayne Smith
12-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Life is difficult when things don't work. If you live alone it is one thing, if you have a wife and kids it is totally another. Then again, I grew up having one bath a week, no bathroom and running water in the kitchen only. Hot water was in the wood burning kitchen range (15 gal) and the bath tub came out Saturday evening. It is our expectations that make a difference.

oneokie
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Be thankful you have the ability and knowledge to make the repairs yourself.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
I hear you on the do it yourself stuff. Every time I hear about the aerobic sewer systems, I am glad I have a septic tank with laterals. I just flush a box of RID-X once in a while and have no problems, probably don't even need the RID-X, but its cheap.

I had an eight inch limb come down from one of my old Locust trees in the yard last night; I am going to wait until the ice is off before I even start to mess with the chainsaw.

Robert

starmac
12-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Sure makes a plain old septic system sound good. I have never had anything to do with the fancy systems, so would be lost.

TXGunNut
12-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Developers nowadays think an OSSF must be aerobic but a traditional septic system works just fine in most cases. I'm single and run the dishwasher 1-2 times a week and 2-4 loads of laundry, a traditional system would work just fine. Many homes in my area use them but repairs are cheaper than pulling out the aerobic system and installing a traditional system. I do like to shower daily but I'll survive.
And yes, oneokie, I'm thankful that I can usually repair things that I understand. I'm hopeful that I can remember how to reassemble everything, won't know until I get the new pump here and get everything assembled again. I don't like testing electrical components while standing in water but I understand how to do it safely, just don't much care for having to do it.

454PB
12-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I use to run 3 extended aeration systems. Pump failures were relatively rare, but when they did happen, it was a nasty repair.

We had no choice, our effluent was discharged into the Missouri River and had to be nearly "drinking quality".

The most important thing I learned was that there's no such thing as over aeration, keep the PH under control, and minimize disinfecting things like purex and pinesol, so those little bugs stay healthy.

TXGunNut
12-22-2013, 11:59 PM
I wimped out and got a utility pump to get me by, probably won't be the last time I use it. Old pump is about 6-7 years old and yes, we have the keep those bacteria happy...until they go into the last tank anyway. I think my chlorine system needs a little work, last tank is a bit mucky.
Ran the utility pump 2-3 hrs while I did laundry & such. Hot shower will feel good in the morning.

WILCO
12-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Life is difficult when things don't work.

That's the truth!

Pb2au
12-23-2013, 01:41 PM
My wife is found of saying;
"It gets really expensive when you don't know how to do anything."
I believe it to be true. Even the simple stuff like changing oil, brakes, swapping out the igniter on a furnace adds up to savings. One of my coworkers went without hot water for 3 days to find out his breaker had tripped.

Pb2au
12-23-2013, 01:42 PM
And remember, there are three things to remember about plumbing.
Don't lick your fingers, excrement rolls down hill and payday is on Friday.

Postalpaul
12-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I think most counties require a aerobic system now??
The fella here in Kaufman county don't play around!

mrvmax
12-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Normally when I complete those DIY tasks that save a lot of money I remind my wife how much I am saving us. It helps to keep that in her mind the next time I purchase things to support my "hobby".

Garyshome
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Just remember It Could ALWAYS Be Worse!!!!! Always...Always...Always...Always...

imashooter2
12-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Just remember It Could ALWAYS Be Worse!!!!! Always...Always...Always...Always...

Yep. I've never seen it so bad it couldn't be worse.

km101
12-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Yep, it always looks easy in the instruction book. And the TV shows make it look so simple, but when you have to tackle it yourself it's a different story. The job always seems to require a tool that you don't have or a part that is not available unless it is shipped by air!

And I usually run into the same thing you did.........you have to fix a problem before you can fix the problem that you started on. Sometimes two or three!

Glad that you got things going as it has been too cold and nasty to be playing in the water outside!

762 shooter
12-23-2013, 07:45 PM
A hot shower is the only thing that separates us higher beings from the lower life forms.

bbs70
12-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Life is difficult when things don't work. If you live alone it is one thing, if you have a wife and kids it is totally another. Then again, I grew up having one bath a week, no bathroom and running water in the kitchen only. Hot water was in the wood burning kitchen range (15 gal) and the bath tub came out Saturday evening. It is our expectations that make a difference.

Reading that took me back to my childhood days.
We took 2 baths a week, in winter they were taken behind the coal stove that was in the kitchen so we could stay somewhat warm.
Running water in kitchen only, had an outhouse, no water heater, water was heated on the stove for baths and laundry.

10x
12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Spent 4 hours on Friday last at minus 30C fixing a septic tank pump out and resetting the alarm.
Then spent an hour putting chains on the Tundra to get back to the road.

Superfly
12-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Oh so much fun NOT been there done that, It always happens at the wors possible time to.

bearcove
12-24-2013, 11:47 PM
Doit yourself always will take 2nd place too watching someone else DOIT!

Crawdaddy
12-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Yep. I've never seen it so bad it couldn't be worse.

One time I was told to cheer up that things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough things got worse! :)

TxGN
I hope the repair goes smoothly