PDA

View Full Version : 9MM loads using Lee 124 TCTL boolit...

catman81056
12-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Looking for load data for this particular boolit.

Bzcraig
12-22-2013, 12:35 PM
You can use data from any manual using any 124/125 gr boolit of which there are many.

catman81056
12-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks, didn't know if there were any of those "magic" loads for this Boolit.

bedbugbilly
12-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm not using that particular Lee but I am using the 356-120-TC. They drop from my mold about .358 (I'm using range lead) and I'm sizing them to .357. Like any lead slug, they vary in weight and I've had some as high as 126 gr. These don't have the tumble lube groove - they have the traditional lube groove. However, I'm tumble lubing them in Alox/Paste Wax (heating the slug with a hair dryer then lubing). I'm using 3.5 gr. of Bullseye and I seat them with the top of the case mouth at the top of the lube groove then a moderate taper crimp. COAL is about 1.052 on the brass I'm using. I'm shooting them out of my SR9 and they work great - no problems cycling, feeding, etc. and a good target/plinking load. A member here suggested this load as he had luck with it out of his SR9c. I haven't had any issues with leading - knock on wood.

I believe that the one you are using is just a tad longer but looking at the picture of it in Lee's catalog, You don't say what pistol you are using them in but you'd want to probably load a couple of dummy rounds to make sure that they fit your magazine O.K. and then try hand cycling them in your pistol. I have a 9mm "cartridge gauge" that I check each individual cartridge in as it comes off of my Lee turret press. I'm using "range brass" and every once in a while, I run across one that even though it has gone all the way into the sizing die, it is just big enough above the ejector groove that it won't slide in to the gauge. Those just get "canned".

I was a little skeptic of the Lee tumble lubes but I got one for a SWC for my 38s. I use Alox/Paste Wax and they work great in my 38s and I love how easy they are to seat. On the 38s, I just lightly roll crimp in to the top lube groove. I'd like to hear back on how the slug you have shoots and what you think of it. I'm considering getting a mold to try.

MT Gianni
12-22-2013, 11:26 PM
If you find anything that consistently groups in a pie plate @ 25 yards i would be glad to hear it. Lee has some good designs but I despise this one.

catman81056
12-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Well I did load a few with 3.5grs of bullseye, took them out in 22* weather, (wind chill= numb hands in 2 mins) but I just had to know. 15yrd group (with shaking hands) an honest 4". I'm going to go ahead and load a few 100 for warmer weather. These were lubed with 45/45/10. Next time I'll try to chrono them just for fun.
The gun is a S&W SD9VE, Truglo Tritium sights, Apex spring kit, Wolf full length guide rod/stock weight spring.

bedbugbilly
12-23-2013, 10:31 PM
catman - well that's a good starting point! You didn't mention but it sounds like they cycled fine. I shot my first loads in just about the same weather - wasn't going for a tight group as I was more interested in making sure they would cycle in my SR9 - it was COLD, snowy-rain and a wind that would blow right through you (I hate winter weather!). However, I was shooting at about the same distance - 15 yards - and I had a decent grouping - probably around 5 inches and my hands were cold and it wasn't the best condition to shoot for accuracy.

Mine are the 120 gr. regular lube groove. That said, if there is one thing I've learned in the various reload forums - everyone has their likes and dislikes. I'm "old school" - not to mention being an "old fart" - and I had my opinions on the tumble lubed bullets as well - but the SWC TL that I'm using in my 38s changed my mind. I'm a firm believer that a person needs to try a variety of styles, with an open mind, and see what works. Everybody is different and everybody's handgun is different as well. I have a feeling that once you do some playing around with your loads and that TL bullet, you will be pleasantly surprised. If, in your experimentation, you think you might want to try a similar one with a regular lube groove - you can always buy a couple of hundred and give them a try before you get a mold.

Like you, I've loaded up several hundred with the 3.5 gr. of BE. I'm headed to AZ this Friday and out there, will be able to shoot in warmer weather and play with it to see how my load works as far as accuracy and then fine tune it - and be warm while doing it!

Glad the load worked for you - as I said, it gives you a starting point and you can work it out from there! Good luck and thanks for posting your results!

FergusonTO35
12-23-2013, 11:48 PM
The Lee 356-120-TC is my favorite 9mm boolit. It seems to work with most powders but Bullseye does the best for me. 3.5 grains produces a consistent 1,000 fps out of my Ruger SR9c and Kahr CW9 and is accurate and easy to shoot.

aspangler
12-24-2013, 12:03 AM
I use 3.9 gr red dot. 2" groups at 25yds. Works fer me, ya'll.