PDA

View Full Version : Texan

EMC45
11-26-2007, 09:15 AM
I have recently got a "new" scale. It is a Texan with black wrinkle paint and it is in new condition. My question is this: What type of oil should I use for the reservoir that the "paddle" swings in? also I would like to get a check weight for this thing for balancing it for accuracy. It is a very nice scale and I plan to use it. Thanks, Evan.:-D

montana_charlie
11-26-2007, 01:47 PM
My question is this: What type of oil should I use...
OH, NO! NEVER put those seven words together in that sequence!

You will draw the lube designers out of their laboratories, and they will have you doing everything from squeezing peanuts to killing whales.

I'm guessing an oil that is commonly found around a house would be a reasonable choice for the maker. I would try mineral oil, for that reason.
CM

floodgate
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
EMC45:

Just about any light oil (try Singer sewing machine oil, if your wife has some). But be aware that over time, it will creep out of the well and get all over things, so put it on a sheet of waxed paper or plastic.

You can get check weight sets from RCBS or Lyman that will do the job - but they are PRICEY! (Try MidSouth or Midway.) I wanted to make up a "correct" set for the old Pacific substitution balance, and had to buy four or five sets to get a complete original weight set. The extras all went to "good homes", though.

Ken Neeld, aka "Mr Herter" (who doesn't post here, but you can see him on the ARTCA Messages Board <www.antiquereloadingtools.org/messages/20th-Century tools...> or e-mail <Herters@netins.net>) can help you identify these and get some hstory - he is DEEP into scales just now.

Doug

454PB
11-27-2007, 02:10 AM
My buddy had one of those Herter oil dampened scales many years ago. Do yourself a favor and consider it a "collector's item". Buy a good magnetically dampened scale, you'll grow old waiting for an oil dampened scale to stop swinging.

Ben
11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I have an oil dampened scale that I use on a daily basis.
The balance beam works great on mine. Much quicker than a magnetic dampened scale.

Ben

EMC45
11-27-2007, 09:45 AM
I do have a RCBS 505. It works great!

Swagerman
11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
I have one of those old relic oil dampened scales, mine is slower than snake oil flowing up a flag pole when it comes to finish bobbing up and down.

But in time the oil does a real good job creeping out over the top of its reservoir and flowing down the sides to make a big a$$ mess.

Relegate it to collector status and use a more modern scale. :mrgreen:

Jim

Single Shot
11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
My Grandfather used 90 weight gear oil. I think he used it mainly because he had it in a squeeze bottle for the outboard motor.

With this thick oil the scale settled down quickly.

I don't recall exactly but I think he tapped the arm slightly each time he put a charge in the pan. Maybe the oil was too thick to start swinging with a small charge?

"You will draw the lube designers out of their laboratories, and they will have you doing everything from squeezing peanuts to killing whales."

And Grampa would have used Whale Oil if he had it.:drinks: