PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop Junior report thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

kayak1
06-03-2014, 09:56 PM
It sounds like Bullshop Junior needs a locker for his truck and it's needed for him to get a welding job. Is anybody putting together a paypal fund like the one we had to get him to TX?

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
No. I'll Handle it.

DougGuy
06-04-2014, 09:16 AM
I spent all of the 70s in Texas, along the coast, working in shipyards, refineries and chemical plants and building oil rigs. It was a lot of fun, the money was great, I left the year before the oil went boom.

I remember once in Houston, gf wouldn't let me out of the house, err bedroom, to make work on time. I thought man, if I got to listen to a bunch of crying and b*tching for being late, I'm gonna make it a good one. Stopped in a Winchell's Donuts, got me some coffee and 2 donuts, and a handful of dimes. Put the coffee and donuts on top of the pay phone, opened the book to the oilfield equipment and suppliers section, and started dropping dimes in the phone. Had another job to go to that morning, for more money, before I finished those donuts. Went to the new job that day, told the boss I had to be late the next day to go get my tools from the other job, so I stayed late an extra hour with the gf the next morning too!

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 12:26 PM
I have a complete rear end sitting under a truck right now It is a 97 z71 with 373 gears and the locker works just fine. I am probably going to scrap the truck out as the tranny is shot.

Did you find parts ?????

Does your truck have disk or drum brakes? Mine is the eight and five eights unit with the disk brakes.

starmac
06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Doug guy, in Houston in the 70's I think it was impossible to quit a job and not have another one before you could even get home. lol

sparky45
06-04-2014, 01:03 PM
NOT a very CLASSY comment kayak1. OR, you're just the man to lead the fund drive.

It sounds like Bullshop Junior needs a locker for his truck and it's needed for him to get a welding job. Is anybody putting together a paypal fund like the one we had to get him to TX?

w5pv
06-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Weigh the cost of fixinfg against the cost of car/truck notes.

DougGuy
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Weigh the cost of fixinfg against the cost of car/truck notes.

Exactly. What I do is this.. I never buy a new car, I have two 1994 Chevrolet vehicles now. I buy a used vehicle, I add up the cost of the vehicle plus major maintenance which includes tires, brakes, and parts, and I divide that by the number of years I drove it, and I try to get it down to driving it a whole year for what I would pay for ONE month's note on a new or newer vehicle. I try to get under $500/yr if I can, and usually succeed.

The 94 Cavalier wagon had 82k on it when I bought it for $1500 in 2010. I tore down the top end of the engine to fix a leaking intake manifold gasket which the 3.1L V6 is well known for. Cost was less than $60. Shops wanted $1,100+ to do it. I put tires on it, $340 and brakes on the front, $90 and eventually an ignition lock cylinder and a better steering wheel, ebayed a whole steering column for $110 shipping included. So far $2100 invested and almost 4yrs of driving it daily. Gotta love it..

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 03:10 PM
This truck is usually pretty dependable. I'm stuck with it either way so I might as well fix it and drive it.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Last week I showed y'all one of the places that I like in Texas. Now one of the places I hate.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/ehedy9as.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/05/saqa5uve.jpg

starmac
06-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I can't think of any part of Alaska that resembles that, I haven't been to every village though. lol

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 07:43 PM
That's central San Antonio. That town has a larger population then the entire state of Alaska.

starmac
06-04-2014, 07:56 PM
See saavy, I have been to San Antonio many times. lol I even have relatives there that never comes to visit. lol

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 07:57 PM
I hate the place.

starmac
06-04-2014, 08:09 PM
LOL I try not to hate, but I do a pretty good job of not going there either. If it helps any I have been to many places that would make you compare SA to Delta junction. lol

osteodoc08
06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't forget the Alamo!

I was quite disappointed when I actually went to the Alamo. I was expecting bigger and more glamorous. Walking down river walk was fun though. Best steak I ever had was at Bohannon's in SA.

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2014, 09:15 PM
LOL I try not to hate, but I do a pretty good job of not going there either. If it helps any I have been to many places that would make you compare SA to Delta junction. lol

:bigsmyl2: Try the Chiraq "EXPRESSWAYS" during rush hour and you will never complain about S A again EVER.

kayak1
06-04-2014, 09:24 PM
NOT a very CLASSY comment kayak1. OR, you're just the man to lead the fund drive.

I rather the money go directly to Daniel or at least someone that he knows. I know he doesn't want the help, if he was asking for the funds I would have to think about it. It's the right thing to do, I am good for $100 to get the fund started.

1989toddm
06-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Don't forget the Alamo!

I was quite disappointed when I actually went to the Alamo. I was expecting bigger and more glamorous. Walking down river walk was fun though. Best steak I ever had was at Bohannon's in SA.

The Alamo is a awesome piece of history, I have great respect for the men who fought and died there. Proves what Americans could do if we stuck together.

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I havn't been up there yet. I live in Gonzales where I believe the first battle was fought.

osteodoc08
06-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I went back and reread my post. It sounded a little flippant. I didnt say I couldnt appreciate it or have respect for it, but most of the garrison and structure have been lost to the sands of time. I wish there would/could have been more of the original structure left. The history of it is fantastic. I was strictly referring to the remains in particular. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

1989toddm
06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
I didnt say I couldnt appreciate it or have respect for it, but most of the garrison and structure have been lost to the sands of time. I wish there would/could have been more of the original structure left. The history of it is fantastic. I was strictly referring to the remains in particular. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

I was not in any way degrading you or your comments, only commenting. 😊 I've been there too and it surely didn't look as big as the stories and pictures I remembered.

osteodoc08
06-05-2014, 02:42 PM
I was not in any way degrading you or your comments, only commenting. �� I've been there too and it surely didn't look as big as the stories and pictures I remembered.

Sorry. todays been a bad day. I went back and reread my post and updated the page realizing my comment was almost flippant and possibly miscontstrued as unappreciative for the brave men and women there at the time.

I really didnt take your comment that way (was just springboarding off it) and realized it could have sounded that way (taking it negatively) and went back and revised it. My apologies Sir.

1989toddm
06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Sorry. todays been a bad day. I went back and reread my post and updated the page realizing my comment was almost flippant and possibly miscontstrued as unappreciative for the brave men and women there at the time.

I really didnt take your comment that way (was just springboarding off it) and realized it could have sounded that way (taking it negatively) and went back and revised it. My apologies Sir.

No harm done, God Bless you and yours.

Bullshop Junior
06-05-2014, 09:03 PM
^^^^^that is what I like to see.

Bullshop Junior
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Incase no one has ever seen a blown locker.

These parts all fell out when I pulled the cover. As said before I don't know how I drove it home like that.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/zugaduty.jpg

Every single piece inside of the carrier was pretty much destroyed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/by6aqa9y.jpg

Least the ring gear is still good. So all I need is the locker assembly, inner bearings and seals.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/yha4yry5.jpg

Bad Water Bill
06-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Just be glad it happened in warm sunny Texas instead of on a mountain road driving down from ALAZKA

Bullshop Junior
06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
This is true. But it is difficult to not have my truck. I finally did find a fair source for a remanufactured locker unit. Still, even a reman is gonna run me $400+ after shipping, bearings and seals.

waksupi
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM
That truck is a money pit. May as well get a boat, too.

Bullshop Junior
06-06-2014, 11:07 AM
All vehicles are money pits if they are used the way I have used mine. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Superfly
06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Dan I belive the center is the Same on all them there Diffs. This a 1500 short bed 3 door Not sure if disc or drum in the rear. I will Look and get back to you.

Bullshop Junior
06-06-2014, 04:18 PM
The inner bearing are different. The 88-99 had a smaller bearing and even though it is basicly the same is a 8.5" and the one with disk brakes with the larger inner bearings is a 8.6". I have seen a few older model trucks with disk brakes though and if it has disk brakes it will work in mine. .

1989toddm
06-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Daniel I am planning on picking up a 99 chevy 1500 2wd for the engine and wiring harness. It has somewhere between 200 and 300K miles, if you are interested in the carrier from it I will open the pumpkin to see what's in there. I don't know the life span of these, but it may be on its last leg and it may run for awhile.

Bullshop Junior
06-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I think the 99 still had the drum brakes....

They usually last a good bit though. If it is the right one how
Much would you want for it?

1989toddm
06-07-2014, 12:44 AM
Oh ok. I will have to check but won't be till Monday now. Do the brakes make a difference with the center carrier and spiders? I don't know..whatever seems fair to you. I haven't priced a used one.

Bullshop Junior
06-07-2014, 12:58 AM
H eh heh......used ones are about $300. Where in lays the problem since I don't have that much to spend for awhile.

The older drum brake units have a smaller shaft diameter and smaller bearing.

Gotta love google and youtube. A week ago I knew nothing about rear ends and now I'm nearly a expert lol.

1989toddm
06-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Ah good to know. Yep youtube and forums are where I learn my mechanicin' info if I'm tackling something new. Let me check the axle out and get back to ya..but again it will be Monday till I can. How's the job workin out?

DCP
06-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Who thinks this should be a STICKY

Beagle333
06-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Sticky!!!!!!!! [smilie=w:

Bullshop Junior
06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Sticky??

Love Life
06-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Who thinks this should be a STICKY

Nobody would read it.

Bad Water Bill
06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
STINKY might be better a better description.:bigsmyl2:

DCP
06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
No Quarter given here is there

w5pv
06-07-2014, 01:04 PM
If any of you go visit the Alamo,it is a short walk from the Hotel/Board walk.This person that I worked with along with his wife went to see the Alamo and got a taxi to take them there the cabby rode them around for a few minutes and let them out at the Alamo.Ater the visit they walked out and was going to catch another cab when his wife looked up and said to him there is a car over there with LA plates that looks just like our car.After closer inspection they realized that the cabby took them for a twenty dollar ride plus the tip.

TXGunNut
06-07-2014, 08:45 PM
If any of you go visit the Alamo,it is a short walk from the Hotel/Board walk.This person that I worked with along with his wife went to see the Alamo and got a taxi to take them there the cabby rode them around for a few minutes and let them out at the Alamo.Ater the visit they walked out and was going to catch another cab when his wife looked up and said to him there is a car over there with LA plates that looks just like our car.After closer inspection they realized that the cabby took them for a twenty dollar ride plus the tip.

Horse-drawn carriage ride didn't cost much more than that last time I was down there. Started outside the Menger Hotel bar and pretty much went around the Alamo and surrounding areas. Actually, IIRC you can see the Alamo from the Menger.

Superfly
06-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Dan it had drum brakes it is a no go.

Bullshop Junior
06-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Aw well. Thanks for looking.

osteodoc08
06-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Thats why you need a smart phone and tell them, I see it is x miles from here......

Bullshop Junior
06-11-2014, 02:51 PM
For those of you who know this stuff, which unit is better?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261497747728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261498600616

1989toddm
06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Dan this truck has disc brakes on the rear. 10 bolt cover. Anything else I should check? I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Bullshop Junior
06-12-2014, 07:07 PM
That one should work....I already ordered a new one though

Bullshop Junior
06-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Vanessa and Cory are now engaged.

1989toddm
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't blame ya, new is better.

Bullshop Junior
06-12-2014, 11:45 PM
I would have bought a used one if I had found one for a decent price. But I need my truck fixed and don't have time to keep looking.

Bullshop Junior
06-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Parts for the rear end should be here tomorrow. I fixed the power steering today and am ordering the other parts it needs to get it to pass inspection.

On the other hand, the Tercel is running great, and passed the inspection today.

MBTcustom
06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
We should call this thread "the saga of Daniel and his Chevy".
I tell you what, another Texan trying to get his Chevy running. Isn't that some sort of cliche?

Soon as you get right side up again, see if you can trade that truck to a Texan for a Ford. You could probably get a nice late model with less than 50,000 miles!

:kidding:

Bullshop Junior
06-19-2014, 01:06 PM
It's not a chevy. It is a GMC. There is a difference. I don't know what it is. But they are different.

searcher4851
06-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I think the difference is Chevy just has a name, but GMC is kinda snooty, and uses a monogram.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I thought this was interesting...

GMC Models Cost More Than Chevy: Why, And Which Is Better?

"If you're out cross-shopping full-size SUVs or pickups—or if you've done so in recent years—you might be familiar with an interesting showroom discrepancy: You can go to a Chevrolet dealership, then into a GMC dealership, and see two virtually identical trucks—same engine, same equipment, even same sheetmetal—only the one at the GMC dealership has a sticker price that's up to several thousand dollars more than that of the Chevy."

"“GMC traditionally has been targeted to professionals while Chevy goes for the mass market,” said Jesse Toprak, vice president of market intelligence" ...more at link

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1076875_gmc-models-cost-more-than-chevy-why-and-which-is-better

MBTcustom
06-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Well of course theirs a difference! One has a bowtie, and the other has Government Motors Inc. On the grill!
My very first truck was a GMC 3/4 ton long bed. It was a complete, unadulterated hunk of junk (I think a Texan must have been the previous owner). LOL!

Bullshop Junior
06-19-2014, 02:24 PM
In my experience the GMC is a little cheaper. It has a few changes that make it easier to work on yourself. This is the best truck I have ever owned, I just need to take better care of it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Dang Daniel,

I feel bad for you, but you and my buddy here have about the same luck with the GMC trucks. His was a rag by 125K miles. Like you, he's had to do all kinds of stuff to that thing.

I've got 140K on my both my Ford F150's and they both pretty much runs like they did when I first got them. The only things I've done to both of them is change oil, spark plugs, filters, tires and brakes. I did have one coil pack fail on the 4 door crew cab, but that's been it as far as non maintenance items.

My 81 Chevy C10, on the other hand, was truly a piece of junk from day one.

rockrat
06-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Man, my '87 chevy c2500 crew cab was a great truck. Moved to Colorado and needed 4wd, otherwise I would have kept it.

Had an '81 chevy diesel suburban. Sold it to a friend of mine when it had 139K on it. He wanted a refund when it gave up at 398K:)

My Toyota has been good , except for the tranny(TU @ 80K) and my Duramax so far is running well.

Bullshop Junior
06-20-2014, 11:12 PM
I wanna get a duramax for my next truck. My ford was a huge hunk of junk. I left a 03 ford in Alaska. Ive had three dodges that all had issues. My Chevys have been good to me.

jmort
06-20-2014, 11:27 PM
My crews had excellent performance from the Chevy/GMC 2500 6.0 gas. Those trucks took severe use in desert conditions, with poor maintenance, heavy towing/hauling, and kept right on going.

MaryB
06-21-2014, 10:32 PM
I flogged a 79 GMC Jimmy to over 700k miles. Finally got rid of it because the body was falling off the frame. I did go through 2 engines and 3 transfer case chains but that thing was also my deer hunting truck and it did a lot of rough off road driving. Minnesota rust got it in the end, still was running fine. Rust was all the way up the sides to the fiberglass top...

lka
02-04-2015, 12:02 AM
I've always had ford trucks.. Just got a raptor f150 thingy a couple months ago with the 6.2.. I've never owned a GM product. Hell I don't think I've ever driven one lol..

tryNto
02-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Maybe this Thread could be locked, so as not to bring bad memories up.