PDA

View Full Version : What do I do now?

exdxgxe4life
12-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I found these boolits from a guy online at a really good price and had to buy them. He normally molly coats them, but said it wouldn't be a problem to wax lube them. Well they came in the mail today, and this is what I got.

While I know that it's boolit lube, it looks like they fell in the mud. Are these still ready to go or should I strip the wax off and redo it myself?

Thanks everyone!

PS If they are good to go, I'll provide the link because they were around $55 for 1000, which again I thought was a good deal.

dbosman
12-21-2013, 04:29 PM
That is why commercial casters usually use hard lube. It doesn't shift ni shipping like soft lube does.
While ugly, if you are going to keep them under 1000 fps, they will probably be ok.

I'd be inclined to tumble lube them before using them.

sirgknight
12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I definitely wouldn't load them as they are. Can't really tell about the overall condition of the bullets for the messed up waxing, so I would clean them and inspect for condition and then re-lube them before loading.

bhn22
12-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Heat them up with a heat gun and wipe 'em off. Then relube with tumble lube if you don't have any other way to do it. You could also set them in an aluminum pan, then pour boiling water over them. The wax should melt off and float to the surface. You can remove the lube after it cools a bit and hardens. Then relube as above.

leadman
12-21-2013, 05:01 PM
A soak in paint thinner removes this easily. Or if you have some boolit lube you could tumble them some more. Mix the boolit lube with some paint thinner (mineral spirits) to thin it. I would warm the boolits up by whatever means you have available to soften the existing lube and put them in a container like a paint can with lid and add your lube. A screen of hardware cloth works good to air cool them, or wax paper.
Liquid Alox would help and might be easier for you to do. I have 6 bottles of the Lee Alox I am going to list here for sale so if you want to buy one PM me.

exdxgxe4life
12-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone!

I put them in boiling water, with little success. But then added the paint thinner, and it all came right off. The updated picture doesn't do it justice (and reminded me that I forgot to put the three old ones in), but they're pretty much all wiped clean.

So my follow up is, is tumble lubing fine? I've got enough paint thinner and lee alox to get the job done. I was just under the assumption that with this lube groove I shouldn't tumble lube and that I needed to pan lube, or get a lubri-sizer (spelling?)

Thanks again!!!

dbosman
12-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Any boolit can be tumbled lubed. At least according to Lee Precision. ;-)

aspangler
12-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I tumble lube all my boolits. Works fine for me.

blikseme300
12-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone!

I put them in boiling water, with little success. But then added the paint thinner, and it all came right off. The updated picture doesn't do it justice (and reminded me that I forgot to put the three old ones in), but they're pretty much all wiped clean.

So my follow up is, is tumble lubing fine? I've got enough paint thinner and lee alox to get the job done. I was just under the assumption that with this lube groove I shouldn't tumble lube and that I needed to pan lube, or get a lubri-sizer (spelling?)

Thanks again!!!

Tumble lube should work fine if the boolits are sized correctly for your pistol. I use the 45-45-10 lube for my 30-30 rifles with good results.

I have never bought commercial boolits and have heard too many negative things about size and lube to be tempted in doing so. I really recommend casting and lubing your own for success.

Trelan
12-21-2013, 08:52 PM
And the supplier is?