PDA

View Full Version : brass characteristics

buggybuilder
12-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I shoot at an outdoor range, so due to the fact it's too darn cold to shoot outside, I'm processing about 800 .38 Spc'l cases. My question is: Some of the brass casings depending on the brand have one or two dotted lines going around the circumfrance of the case. What are these for?

bugs
12-21-2013, 02:47 PM
this a crimp the factory puts around bottom of bullet to keep it from pushing deeper into the case

Pepe Ray
12-21-2013, 04:33 PM
In general, the cases w/2 crimp marks were found in target ammo using Wadcutters. These will have thinner case walls as the W.C.s
neeeded more room inside to prevent extra sizing of the bullet.
Something to look out for if your concerned w/uniformity of loads. Plinkers need not concern themselves.
Pepe Ray

bedbugbilly
12-22-2013, 07:05 PM
I started using some "range brass" that I purchased from a fella on here and I've run across a number of what you are talking about. I'm just a "plinker" - nothing serious in terms of competition. I'm loading WC, SWC and RN lead slugs that I cast and those with the double lines all work just fine.

TXGunNut
12-22-2013, 11:34 PM
One problem with mixing .38 spl brass is the slight difference in length and the resulting difference in roll crimps. Sometimes sorting will produce a lot of uniform lengths, I found that a taper crimp was a good "equalizer" for plinker or practice ammo.