PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 1200 DPS Upgrade

454PB
11-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I've owned a Lyman 1200 DPS for a couple of years now, but I seldom use it because it's SOOOOO slow! I load for .338 and .300 Win. mag., and I'm usually throwing a charge of anywhere from 70 to 80 grains. I can darn near cast some boolits between charges. To speed things up, I've taken to using the biggest Lee powder scoop to start the charge, then letting the dispenser finish it up. There's just something wrong with having to use a plastic powder scoop to speed up a high tech, $230 piece of reloading gear.

Recently, Lyman came out with a newer, faster version (I think RCBS was eating them alive), and even sell an "update" for the older versions.

Has anyone here had any experience with the upgrade?

testhop
11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
no i havent but i am getting ready to buy one and your information made my choice i am going rcbs thanks

MT Gianni
11-26-2007, 01:14 AM
I have a 1200 and believe that the upgrade was in memory. You could keep 100 or more loads vs 20. As I use mine regularly and have never entered a charge in memory I saw no need for it. Mine gets used with powders that don' measure well and on a Lee turret press. By the time the cartridge is around to the fill point the measure is full. Most loads run about 1/2 you powder though. I believe that the RCBS has a faster electronic program not a faster dispense time. Gianni

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Great head to head test of the Lyman, PACT, and RCBS on www.6mmbr.com recently.

I ain't giving up the ending...you need to go see for yourself.

Rich

pumpguy
11-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Idaho,

I guess I have a case of the stupids this morning. Where on that website is the article about the test?

scrapcan
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
here are the two articles that I found

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html

pumpguy
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks Manleyjt. I have one of the Lyman units and it is ok. It is a pain to clean and it isn't what I would call exactly fast. I think I will get the upgrade and see if that helps the speed. I guess I can't complain. I bought it in the Cabelas bargain room for about half of normal retail.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Manleyjt,

beat me to it...

It's really handy when you are throwing 125-140grains of H335, N160/165, and AA3100.
550 Gibbs Magnum.

Rich

Cayoot
11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
My biggest complaint with the Lyman 1200 DPS (I got mine for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago) is that it leaks powder like a sive! Sometimes so much powder leaks into the electronics that it shorts out. When I move it after having used it a few times I always have a layer of powder under the scale. It seems to come out of every small oriface.

I think that maybe the powder comes out both ends of my trickle tube

Looking at Midways picture of the upgrade, it seems to be a new tub and trickle tube. Also, the whole tub can be brought out for emptying.

I am thinking that maybe this will help reduce the leaking.

Does anybody else have this problem?

SwedeNelson
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Got the upgrade for mine about a month ago.
It makes it a lot easier to clean or change powder.
As to speed I haven't used it enough to tell.

The new model has a option that starts to fill
the pan as soon as you put it back on the scale
That could be good.

Swede Nelson

Cayoot
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey Swede, Did you ever have a problem with powder leaking like I have? If so, has the upgrade helped to alieveate it?

SwedeNelson
11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Cayoot

No leaks but always made a mess changing powders.
It has helped with that.

Swede Nelson