PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 38/357 makes meat

JSH
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
gravy and biscuts too I hope. I will just say it has been many moooooons since the last time I did an actual squirrel hunt. Well, the marshes were froze and the son gets board waiting on ducks to fly in. I tried to tell him it was just like fishing, fellow has to have patience once in a while. I had mentioned that I always thought squirrel hunting took a lot of good woodsman skills. He was itching to get out of the house this long weekend, so I touched base with a few old connectiosn and we were off. Didn't score big, but if we had used scatter guns I think we would have loaded up pretty good. Never did think it was very sporting shooting tree rats with a scatter gun.
It was a hard choice to make of what to pack in to shoot at the little tree vermin with. Ended up he wanted the old 10/22 and I was either going to take the GP100 of James, that has yet to be gotten back to him, or the marlin. I grabbed both and a box of 38's that I had loaded up some of the little Lee TC nose.
Did a short hunt on Sat. as it was still over cast and cold, got one with the Marlin. Then Sun. looked to be a nice day. Ended up with three of the beast.
I had told the son, don't shoot e'm in the guts, head or neck no further back than the front shoulders. We walked into one honey hole and the little devils was all over the place. He shot at one tice and missed. I drew a bead on the same one and tumbled him head over heels with one of the lite 38 loads. Walked over there and gone. Next thing I knwo there is one acting kinda goofy about 20 yards away. I had just clipped his front leg.
We decided to sit a while and wait and see if there were any dumb ones left. We waited a bit and I tried to postion him so he would get the best shooting. We sat about 20 minutes and he cuts loose a couple of rounds with the 22, missed. Well we sat a bit longer and danged if they didn't come out again. He shot and missed again. I handed him the marlin and said shot him in the head. Pop, went over and danged if the kid didn't drill him in on eye and out the other.

After dressing all of these,4 total, nary a mushed up one. I am curious as to how a wad cutter rs SWC will work. Have a few odds and ends I want to use up.
Now ya'll can laugh but I ain't cleaned a squirrel for 20 years, suffering from CRS too. Them boar squirrels got a pecker like a coon? I had the damndest time splitting the pelvis on them boars. Got my scissors for the next batch though.
Only reason I ask, is the kid needs a toothpick, if any of ya are coon hunters ya will follow my drift. I got sevral coon "picks" in my box of treasures.

I don't know if am going to parboil and fry these or make gumbo out of them. Two are nice young ones and two are old tough ones.

BTW, this was the first meat the "kid" has made with cast. Damn, come to think of it, the oldmans too.
Thanks for all the help in the past, and in the future guys. Makes for the memories I suppose.
Jeff

Bass Ackward
11-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Wish I had better squirrel hunting these days. Didn't appreciate it when I was a kid. The older I get the better they look simply because you can shoot and then pickem up and move on. These danged deer are a lot of work.

warriorsociologist
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Wish I had better squirrel hunting these days. Didn't appreciate it when I was a kid. The older I get the better they look simply because you can shoot and then pickem up and move on. These danged deer are a lot of work.

LOL. You read my mind. :drinks: