PDA

View Full Version : Won GB Auction: Post War 38/44 Heavy Duty 5"

enfieldphile
12-21-2013, 02:02 AM
I missed an HD in the LGS last week, but I did not let this one get by me! I had run the auction cycle history on this gun. It had ran several X w/ no bidders. There was one bidder this week for the opening bid. I figured he was just going to put in the opening bid and see what happened. I waited until the last 2 minutes and put in a "Take No Prisoners Bid" :wink: It only went from $495.00 opening bid to $511.00 bid I won with. As I though, the first bidder wasn't too serious. If I want, there is a local guy here that does nice re-blueing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=382328310

It looks to have been carried often, shot little. I will pull the grips to check if the grip #'s match the frame and to look for rust under the grips. There is no rush to decide on re-blueing. At first, I'm just gonna enjoy shooting this classic wheelgun.

The only Boolits to grace this revolver will be my own cast lead alloy semi-wadcutters. :cbpour:

Also, the gun was born in either 1955 or 1956. I was born in 1955. As it's almost Christmas AND my birthday is the 28th of December, this is my gift to myself. 8-)

Southern Son
12-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Please don't re-blue that old girl. As she is, she is showing off all her years of service (how many times has some poor copper been in a ituation that was a bit funky, then reached down, felt her butt, and then felt better?). The fact that she can still shoot with the best of them is all that matters. I am getting a heap of grey hairs, and I am not going to die my hair, I know I am getting old. To blue a old revolver like that would just about be enough to make me cry. Shoot her an show her off, as she is. An post a heap more photos of her when she arrives.

enfieldphile
12-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Southern Son,

Yes, I'll post pics, report if the grip serial # matches the frame, trigger pull weight etc.

I like Herco w/ my cast boolits in mid-range loads.

That seems to be the consensus, most of the fellows have said to just clean (especially under the grips) and wax the metal & wood. I use Renaissance Wax. Not cheap, but the can will last you years & years. All the museums use it.

Catsmith
12-21-2013, 10:17 AM
I have one of these. Passed down from my grandmother. Love it.

bob208
12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
put me in the no reblue group. you take a fine old gun that shows its age and start polishing on it. you are just grinding valve off of it. it will never be worth what you paid for it.

I have a prewar .38=44 with 5" barrel. mine likes the 358429 bullet loaded to about 1000 fps.

HeavyMetal
12-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Took a look at the pictures and I agree this has seen a lot of holster wear and little shooting.

Were this mine: the bluing is toast, yes it has character, but the bluing is still toast so I'd do load development then have a good reblue done. This gun looks great in that almost black blue done by a real shop.

Next the grips would go in a zip lock bag for a time capsule, LOL! I never shot an N frame with this style grip that didn't bite the snot out of my hands! Pending your funds a good custom set can be found for a reasonable price.

Pachy's are a good choice for comfort but I think wood would be better in this case.

Looking forward to seeing more pic's soon.

300savage
12-21-2013, 12:40 PM
i second HM

onceabull
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Enfieldphile: You are buying this gun from a dealer I've always found reputable.. That's a good thing because every 38/44 I've seen go in that price range in the last 10 years had a cylinder that was bored out to 357 dimensions..No real problem for a shooter,but a deal killer for the collector trade.. Great find, ENJOY... Onceabull

enfieldphile
12-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Fellows,

Thanks for all your comments.

Looking forward to taking possession of this fine shooting machine! I'll post pics when it arrives.