PDA

View Full Version : Any Nissan Auto trans mechanics out there????

abunaitoo
12-20-2013, 06:30 PM
We have such a diverse group on this forum. Hoping someone can give a hand.

Have my Fathers 1990 Maxina.
When cold, it takes a long time to shift into 3rd. Once warmed up, it's fine.
Reverse is fine.
I've flushed the fluid. Adjusted the band. Cleaned the valve body.
Also have a spare parts car. 1990 Maxima.
Trans takes a few seconds to go into forward. Reverse is fine.
Once in forward, it slips bad.
Haven't touched this one.
I'm probably going to have to rebuild.
Any ideas on what I might try brfore rebuild????

labradigger1
12-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Are there shift selonoids on the trans? I had to rebuild a nissan pathfinder transmission several years ago, not hard to rebuild but boy was it hard to get out and in. Iirc rebuild kit and bands were about 300.00

rockrat
12-20-2013, 07:44 PM
New filter? Wondering if you might be restricting fluid to the pump, by a clogged, dirty filter.

gtgeorge
12-20-2013, 07:54 PM
The most common fail point would be the solenoid pack that would eventually cause a slip in 4th and eventually 3rd. I doubt it would be the solenoid pack/PCS since it shifts when hot but is possible. It also has a temp sensor and will not shift to 4th until warm. Servicing fluid and or changing filters are maintenance and not a fix for any problem. Is this a delay going to 4th or a delay going to 3rd?

If you had the pan off, what did you find? Any fine metal that looks like glitter in the sunlight?

Bullshop Junior
12-20-2013, 08:38 PM
on a slow shift when cold, new fluid and filer will sometimes help. Ive heard that sea foam trans tune stuff works really well, but I have never tried it.

abunaitoo
12-20-2013, 09:07 PM
The pan on this trans in on the top. Filter is on the bottom.
The filter cannot be changed unless the trans is taken apart. It's only a screen anyway. Never seen a screen type filter clogg.
This one has a self diagnosis for the electrical sensors and solenoids. It test all good.
Once it warms up, it shifts normal. I don't push it because it will probably slip if I do.
I did change the fluid 11Qt. Added a bottle of Lucas trans treatment. Adjusted the band.
Just hoping someone might know something that might help.
Overhual kit runs around $300 with the band.
I'd rather spend it on powder or a rifle.