PDA

View Full Version : Annealing Question

catmandu
12-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I was reading thru some of the old American Rifleman (from the 50's) and one gentleman suggested he had good results annealing his brass by dipping them into his lead pot. He said he could control the depth of how far down the neck and because the melt didn't get too hot (not compaired to brass) he did not have to worry about over treating.
I know this sounds unlikely but he reported good results and I have always tried to "Not argue with success" even if I did not understand why.
Any input from the board?

Paul in WNY

jmorris
12-20-2013, 06:37 PM
It doesn't get the base too hot because you are holding the base of the case with your fingers. You won't be able to hold it any longer before you anneal the case too much.

Springfield
12-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Worked for me. I had some used 44-40 that were splitting 2 outa 5. Dipped the case heads in some 750 deg. lead for a count of 10. After that only 1 in 10 split, I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

blixen
12-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Interesting--I'm planning on annealing some .303 cases this weekend. I usually do it with a hand drill, propane torch and bucket of water. This seems simpler--details please.

john hayslip
12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
I tried it once and got lead on the 30-06 cases I was using and couldn't get lead off so gave up on the idea. Just hold the case in your fingers and turn it while you let a propane torch heat the neck. when It gets too hot to hold let go and drop it into a pail of water below you. As long as you avoid the little white flame in at the beginning you'll have no problem. If you get into that inner white core of flame you'll have a dead soft copper colored spot and you can throw the case away.

.30/30 Guy
12-20-2013, 08:06 PM
I tried dipping cases in my lead pot. Spent hours getting the lead off the case necks.

Maven
12-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I tried dipping cases in my lead pot. Spent hours getting the lead off the case necks.

Yep, that happens unless you polish the necks and coat them with something like ATF or Johnson's Paste Wax, and even then it's not 100% effective.

.30/30 Guy
12-20-2013, 08:54 PM
I tried coating the necks with several things and it did not seem to help much. Dirty necks attracted less lead.

Horace
12-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Tried the case neck dipping in lead method and like turning the cases in the properly sized socket method better.

Horace

country gent
12-20-2013, 09:42 PM
I have seriously thought about using a casting thermometor, sand and a lee pot to anneal. Any non flamable material that can transfer heat effectivly shoud work The thermostat control on the lee pot will make temp easy the thremometer will allow me to know what temp Im at. Then its just finding the correct "soak" time to use.

KYCaster
12-21-2013, 12:22 AM
I have seriously thought about using a casting thermometor, sand and a lee pot to anneal. Any non flamable material that can transfer heat effectivly shoud work The thermostat control on the lee pot will make temp easy the thremometer will allow me to know what temp Im at. Then its just finding the correct "soak" time to use.

That's an excellent idea. I have glass bead blasting media, I'll give it a try.

I learn something every time I come here. Thanks Country Gent.

Jerry

wrench
12-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Count me as another one who gave up on the whole 'dipping the neck of the cases in the lead pot' idea. Huge irritant getting all the lead off of the cases.
Like lots of others, I use a properly sized socket spun in a drill, and a propane torch. Count of four and they're perfect. I drop them into water to cool, and let them dry overnight.

catmandu
12-21-2013, 09:58 PM
From the responses - I am glad I asked.

Not every idea is a good idea.

Paul in WNY

mikeym1a
12-22-2013, 01:38 AM
everyone has their one method. I use some scrap aluminum wire that I wrapped around the base of the case quite thickly to make a heat sink. I hold the heat sink with a pair of vise grips to protect the fingers. I use the propane torch, and look for the color change, and then dip them in water, and set them aside. I have to dip the heat sink itself about every 5th case. Takes about 15-20 sec/case. Works for me.

MtGun44
12-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I tried it a while, didn't like the occasionally tinning of the
cases, so stopped. Rolling in my fingers in a candle flame
until it have to drop it due to heat is perfect for me. I recently
bought a Hornady kit with case spinners and some Tempilacq
but have not had time to try it yet. Some put a bolt down into
a deepwell socket then a nut to lock in place, and chuck the
bolt threads in a drill. This spinner holds the case as the drill
rotates it, hold the neck a few seconds in a propane flame.
Calibration is key, this is where the Tempilacq comes in.

Water dropping is NOT necessary for the process, some
consider it convenient, I don't like messing with water around
my casting and reloading gear.

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I tried it a while, didn't like the occasionally tinning of the
cases, so stopped. Rolling in my fingers in a candle flame
until it have to drop it due to heat is perfect for me. I recently
bought a Hornady kit with case spinners and some Tempilacq
but have not had time to try it yet. Some put a bolt down into
a deepwell socket then a nut to lock in place, and chuck the
bolt threads in a drill. This spinner holds the case as the drill
rotates it, hold the neck a few seconds in a propane flame.
Calibration is key, this is where the Tempilacq comes in.

Water dropping is NOT necessary for the process, some
consider it convenient, I don't like messing with water around
my casting and reloading gear.

Bill

I would be more concerned with having a propane torch going around my loading set up. That`s why I do the torch annealing job out in my pole barn.Robert