PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

oldred
12-20-2013, 12:45 PM
From reading posts I get the impression a lot of folks here have Netfix service as do I (discs, not streaming), any of you notice any shortages lately or is it just me? It seems that in recent weeks/months that we are seeing more and more "short wait", "long wait" or "availability unknown" and we are not receiving any discs due to all of them in our queue being on the wait list. Are they maybe phasing out disc service in spite of what we're being told? To their credit they do send us free extra discs in addition to our account contract but that's little consolation for times of none at all due to everything we have requested being on the wait list, we have had Netflix for several years without this kind of problem but it seems as if it has changed drastically in the last six months or so.

Airman Basic
12-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Yes, they are phasing out mail delivery.
http://news.investors.com/technology-click/072313-664804-nflx-letting-dvd-business-wither.htm

imashooter2
12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Well then they are going to go out of business, because their selection of streaming movies is poor at best. I won't keep the service if I can't get DVDs.

Garyshome
12-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Yes see Reds 2 it's good!

dragonrider
12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I have using Netflix for several years, streaming and dvd delivery, never had a problem.

Bullshop Junior
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Ive never tried them with the DVD delievery since I live in ak, seems like a waste of time. I had the streaming deal for acouople months last year and it sucked to say the least. No good shows or movies. Just all the junk no one wants to watch.

Bulldogger
12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I've had trouble with slow streaming lately, I think it might be because more folks are using it due to holidays. I'm not looking forward to disc delivery going out, for the reasons already mentioned. Sometimes I cannot find a single thing worth watching on the live streaming list. If/when they phase it out totally, I will probably quit afore long.
Bulldogger

bangerjim
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Netflix is a "filler" program source for my DirecTV service which is all the premium channels. I only watch FOXNEWS and USA otherwise!

Netflix offers older and weird stuff you cannot normally find. Problem is, you find something you like and a few months later they take it down! That I do NOT like. But for ~$9/mo, it is worth it. NOT the DVD shipping hassle. I have 35-40M streaming data so both Netflix and VideoOnDemand satellite are flawless.

Love those movies!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

dragon813gt
12-20-2013, 03:31 PM
It might be from people like me. I have discs from a year ago that I haven't sent back. Yeah I pay for the DVD service. But for how many I watch it's easier to go Redbox and rent movies that are new releases. Netflix made a bad decision to wait on DVDs so they could get a reduced price on them. Redbox is paying the premium and reaping the profit. I know Redbox doesn't work for people in remote areas. But for those that have it, it's a better option for newer movies.

Netflix isn't going anywhere if they kill the DVD service. Their main business is streaming content. And for this they are the best service w/ the best selection. I'm a Amazon Prime member and rarely use the streaming content. Downloads are slow. The menu isn't nearly as intuitive. And my biggest complaint is that they have SD/HD separate instead of going to HD if your connection allows. I do like that you can pay to stream movies that aren't part of the Prime subscription. If they lowered the price to $1 they would sell a lot more. I'm not paying what the DVD costs to stream it. Especially when I can have the DVD in two days. And Hulu has no content. I've tired them all and Netflix comes out as the winner for me.

waksupi
12-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I think the distribution system broke down. Not many rent-a-movie stores anymore, and that is where the movies usually came from. When I still subscribed, my movies came from Butte, Mt.

OBIII
12-20-2013, 07:24 PM
If Netflix is discontinuing mail service, they will be losing me. I am on a Sat connection and can in no way stream or even download
a video.
OB

texassako
12-20-2013, 08:13 PM
We use Netflix, but only the streaming video anymore even though we have the option for a single DVD. The decent streaming content seems spread pretty thin these days with all the competition. I have a DVD somewhere around here from a few months ago and have not even watched it yet. There was an article a while back that the mail DVDs were a pretty small part of their business, even though a lot of their movies were only available that way. We still like them because they picked up a lot of the PBS kid show rights that our daughter likes.

wlc
12-20-2013, 10:04 PM
If the DVD's go away, I'll stop using them. We tried streaming a couple of times before and it took three hours to watch an hour and a half movie. I did away with that pronto, now its DVD's only. I like them as they do have some older and not easily found anywhere else stuff from time to time.

dragon813gt
12-20-2013, 10:38 PM
If the DVD's go away, I'll stop using them. We tried streaming a couple of times before and it took three hours to watch an hour and a half movie.

That is a problem w/ your ISP, not Netflix. How many Mbps are you pulling. That will tell you where your problem is. I travel all over the east coast and use Netflix everywhere. Any streaming problems are always caused by the ISP and not Netflix.

imashooter2
12-20-2013, 11:12 PM
I get plenty of speed. I won't stay because the available streaming movies are dung.

MrWolf
12-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Dropped them when they pulled the price increase fiasco a few years ago and never looked back. Redbox works great for me - just watched one of their rentals a few minutes ago.