PDA

View Full Version : Okay Buckshot..762mm-130-SPL in .30 Carbine Ruger

beagle
08-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Well Rick, at your request. Today I tried fifty of the 762mm-130-SPL RCBS bullets in the .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

Bullet weight: 139.3 grains
Overall length: 1.750"
WW cases
2400 10.5 grains
Sized .311

Average velocity was 1314 FPS. Might be some wiggle room to move up but not much.

Accuracy was good for plinking at 100 yards and I detected no unexplained flyers.

There is no room for extending the overall length in my gun so that's what I'm stuck with. Just barley inside the cylinder.

If you have this mould, it will work in the .30 Carbine Ruger but I wouldn't go out and buy one specifically for this purpose. Due to the shape, it would be best for plinking. I like the 3118/311008 HP much better for my normal load.

But, I had to try it and there it is./beagle

nighthunter
08-29-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm glad to read this post. I've been considering a mold for a .30 carbine ruger. I was thinking something in the 115 to 120 grain weight. I'd prefer a blunt nose to make up for the lower velocities. Anyone care to make suggestions?

Buckshot
08-29-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm glad to read this post. I've been considering a mold for a .30 carbine ruger. I was thinking something in the 115 to 120 grain weight. I'd prefer a blunt nose to make up for the lower velocities. Anyone care to make suggestions?

Sure :D The Lee soup can. Otherwise known as the C309-113F. Basicly it's Lee's 30 cal bullet drive band section with the bore riding nose missing. Has a nice flat nose. A body hit on a ground squirrel will give you a really super dust halo in the afternoon sun accompanied by a nice, whap!

.............Beagle, thanks very much. Was it blasty 8-). I've gotten about 1250 fps or so with the PB Ly 311410, I think it was 11.5grs H4227. My cylinder mouths are .308" BTW. I size to .309". I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Jack rabbits, or ground squirrels. I'll bet it has an impressive BC and SD for a revolver boolit, eh?

.............Buckshot

beagle
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
nighthunter...IMHO, the Lyman 311008 is the ultimate bullet for the .30 Blackhawk Ruger. Works for small game with the wide meplat and is accurate enough for bouncing a can at 100 yards as that's our game in bad weather and when the rifle barrels are cooling at our range.

If you're inclined toward GC bullets in a pistol, the 311316 works mighty fine but that's added expense.

The 762mm-130-SPL is designed for the 7.62 X 39mm SKS. I picked up a mould and we were wondering if it would shoot in the .30 Carbine Ruger and it does, but, not my choice of bullets for this little gem./beagle

beagle
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Rick..it was pretty blasty for a fact. I'd say you could easily wring 1500 FPS out of it but I'm not a speed demon.

Looks like the BC causes it to retain plenty of downrange velocity. Shaped like a long javelin so the BC's got to be pretty high.

Small game? I don't know. It was slightly wet when I was shooting and I had a hard time spotting hits so I'm assuming it wasn't opening at all and probably not expanding much at all. Would be good for ground squirrels I expect.

Sure :D The Lee soup can. Otherwise known as the C309-113F. Basicly it's Lee's 30 cal bullet drive band section with the bore riding nose missing. Has a nice flat nose. A body hit on a ground squirrel will give you a really super dust halo in the afternoon sun accompanied by a nice, whap!

.............Beagle, thanks very much. Was it blasty 8-). I've gotten about 1250 fps or so with the PB Ly 311410, I think it was 11.5grs H4227. My cylinder mouths are .308" BTW. I size to .309". I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Jack rabbits, or ground squirrels. I'll bet it has an impressive BC and SD for a revolver boolit, eh?

.............Buckshot