PDA

View Full Version : Lake City brass

Taylor
12-20-2013, 08:12 AM
I have been given about 60 pieces in 223.I noticed the primer crimp was different,in that it had 4 punch marks.Like foriegn brass.Surely LC isn't out sourcing.Anyone else came on this? Think it might change it's durability?

GRUMPA
12-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I've run across those and for me they're actually easier to work with. This type of question pops up from time to time on different boards. Why they decided to change the crimp nobody knows for sure. But when I get brass in they aren't all like that but just a few and process them the same way I've done all the rest.

If you process them as usual they'll turn out just like the other LC brass cases with the usual crimped primer.

Steve Steven
12-21-2013, 03:30 AM
I have a friend who is a riflesmith, he made a crimping tool to add crimps to his HOT 223 loads to keep the primer in the case, his loads were so hot the primer fell out and jammed the action. He would not retrieve his crimped brass, said it was deformed to much to reuse.

I think he was using a two-pronged tool and got a two point crimp.

Steve

Steve Steven
12-21-2013, 03:31 AM
I have a friend who is a riflesmith, he made a crimping tool to add crimps to his HOT 223 loads to keep the primer in the case, his loads were so hot the primer fell out and jammed the action. He would not retrieve his crimped brass, said it was deformed to much to reuse.

I think he was using a two-pronged tool and got a two point crimp.

Steve

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2013, 07:06 AM
Any COMPETENT riflesmith would know that there are many folks that will gladly clean up the mess left behind by a slob.

Many new reloaders will not be aware of all of the hazards caused by your friend leaving his DANGEROUS brass behind.

He should clean up his mess and take it back to his shop where it can be properly DESTROYED before HIS brass can injure blind or possibly kill someone.

btroj
12-21-2013, 08:38 AM
A competent rifle smith wouldn't use loads hot enough to require crimping the primer in place.
Yikes, wonder how many "followers" he has.

waksupi
12-21-2013, 10:15 AM
That "gunsmith" sounds like one who would never touch any of my firearms.