PDA

View Full Version : Electric melting pot

Boaz
12-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Just starting to reload would thank you for an opinion on an electric melting pot . I will not be doing high production and mainly using wheel weights . Thanks

JASON4X4
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I use a turkey fryer and home made pot to smelt then a lee 20 lb bottom pour to cast. You don't want to smelt the weights in the same container you cast from. A lot of people use a camp stove to do both with different pans.

ACrowe25
12-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I use a turkey fryer and home made pot to smelt then a lee 20 lb bottom pour to cast. You don't want to smelt the weights in the same container you cast from. A lot of people use a camp stove to do both with different pans.

Similar to mine except I use a Dutch oven from Salvation Army, and a 10lb pot (don't make my mistake go 20+lb).

Boaz
12-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info , I'v decided to go with the Lee pot as you advised . Thanks !

Pereira
12-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi guys, new here and new to the whole casting thing. So if you would bear with me a while I may ask a few silly questions for time to time. First question; Why do you not want to smelt and cast out of the same pot?

Mike W1
12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi guys, new here and new to the whole casting thing. So if you would bear with me a while I may ask a few silly questions for time to time. First question; Why do you not want to smelt and cast out of the same pot?

In the first place it's a very inefficient way to do it due to small size and slow heating. More importantly if you don't put any metal in it that's not clean you'll not foul the spout and have a lot fewer drips.