PDA

View Full Version : Ruger customer service is top notch

12-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I bought a Ruger old Vaquero in .44 mag. it is the one with the simulated case hardened frame. The gun had been abused some before I picked it up. Never cleaned, had some small pits in the frame. Some honest bluing wear on the barrel and frame. The front sight was bent to the side before I got it. So I when I tried to straighten it, it broke off. I boxed it up with the repair number Ruger gave me and sent it back. In the note I expressed that I damaged the gun and it was no fault of Ruger's at all. I received a call today asking for permission to set the trigger back to factory specs. I asked if they would fix the gun if I said no and they said they would be happy to return it to me without repairing anything. So I said to go ahead. They said that they would re-blue the gun at no charge. Although they don't offer the case hardening anymore. And that they would rebarrel it for free also. Don't think I have anything to be upset about with this deal.

contender1
12-19-2013, 11:12 PM
With the sheer number of firearms they have made in just the last few years, occasionally they have an issue or two. BUT,, they do have a great service dept! And, they will go "above & beyond!"
I'm sure you'll be pleased when the gun arrives.

GP100man
12-21-2013, 09:43 AM
This is why almost all my revolvers & a few rifles are changing to Rugers !

I`ll support a company that supports it`s customers & products , period !

I Thank God & corporate management they`re still on American soil!!!

44MAG#1
12-21-2013, 01:44 PM
My experience with them a 2 years ago or so wasn't good. My Blackhawk 45 Colt was gone over 2 months. The first time they sent it back to me they didn't do anything to it.
Then they tried to argue with me on what was wrong with it.

BK7saum
12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm waiting on a 77/22 hornet to come back from Ruger right now. I bought it used and the trigger/sear were bubba'd up pretty bad. All the engagement surfaces were rounded and rough where they were filed/dremelled. I contacted Ruger about getting the damaged parts replaced. I told them I bought it in this condition and needed to find out how much it was going to cost before I sent it in. They sent a call tag through UPS and the parts are supposed to be free. In a note, I told them I was pleased with the bolt lockup and headspace, just address the trigger/sear issue. The bolt lockup was nice and tight which is why I bought this rifle in the first place and paid a little more than I should have.

Well, since it was a little past the time the repair should be completed, I called Ruger. They said the rifle was waiting to be proof tested. WHAT!? WHY? Since the only repair should have been a change out of trigger and sear. They needed to proof test it because they lapped the bolt lugs due to uneven lug engagement.

I know Ruger has taken liberties with converting 3-screw to New model transfer bar safeties with revolvers. I do appreciate them going through the rifle. But shouldn't I have been consulted since I specifically asked them not to do anything to the bolt/action other than the trigger/sear repair?

The 2-piece ruger bolts can be finicky, with shimming of the bolt halves helping with accuracy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my 1/2 moa hornet doesn't come back as a 2-3 moa shooter. I'm just going to have to wait and see. If the rifle comes back and shoots poor due to looser tolerances from lapping the lugs, then I would have been better off having bought $100 in parts and installing them myself.

More kudos to Ruger:

The hornet came with #5 high rings. The #5s are a little taller than I need, so I asked Ruger about it. They confirmed that #5s did ship with the hornet, instead of the #4s I wanted/needed. Customer service first gave me the part numbers for #4s. This last time I talked to customer service I was told that the repair tech was going to ship a pair of #4 rings back with the rifle for free.

Ruger has gone above and beyond to help me get the rifle repaired. They have paid shipping, replaced parts, and provided a new free set of rings. However, they did something I specifically asked them not to do. I just hope they didn't go too far with the lapping of the bolt lugs and the bolt lockup is still really tight.

yotatrd4x4
12-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I also can say Ruger is amazing at customer service. I have had 4 dealings with them. First was a old Ruger M77 I got on trade that had the rear sight screw broken off and the actions were a little boogered. I thought no big deal then I got the gun home and looked and had forgot that thy have a middle screw under the floor plate. Anyhow it was gone. Called ruger told them I got it used and found those 2 problems and wanted to buy a screw set and a rear sight screw. They refused to sell me one and mailed all the items free. The lady said it was non sense to buy this screws when they can just send me some free. Ok the next time was a 416 ruger Alaskan that wouldn't feed. They paid return shipping and fixed the rifle but I guess I just didn't trust it. I sold it and bought a used 375 ruger Alaskan and sent it back because the rear sight base was mounted off to one side or maybe the front sight was off. I had to move the rear way left to hit POA at 50yds. They said well we already drilled the holes so we will rebarrel it. They fixed it free again. Next was an old single six that is a 3 screw. It's my wife's grand fathers old gun and he went a little off near the end and etched his name all over the grip frame. I told them I wanted to keep it just because its gonna be my sons soon and it has sentimental value. I knew they would convert it to transfer bar which is fine as its safer to use for my son. They also reblued it free and put on a new ejector housing. Lastly I have a discontinued ruger blackhawk 45 colt stainless that was a little loose after lots of hot loads. They said to return it and they would see what they could do. It came back nice and tight and I just wanted them to make sure it was in spec which I guess it was t or they felt that they could make it better and did. I will have to say I may never buy another remington rifle and I know I will only buy ruger revolvers. I don't think even the custom gun makers have a better customer service than ruger does.

BK7saum
01-23-2014, 05:53 AM
A little update regarding my 22 hornet post above.

Because Ruger cannot get proof ammo, they are sending me a brand new 22 hornet rifle. I just hope this one shoots as well as my old one.

altheating
01-23-2014, 07:23 AM
If not send it out to CPC http://www.ct-precision.com Have it reamed to K Hornet and have the bolt tightened. They will make it a shooter for $189.00 They took mine from shooting patterns to a tack driver.

cbrick
01-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Yep, top notch customer service. They only had my New Model BH for a year. Got it back with a new cylinder, all new internals and even new wood but geez . . . A year.

Rick

bobthenailer
01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
MY past experince with RUGER rifles a #3 and a M77 both in 22 hornet was disappointing ! both were bought new by me . #3 shot excellent but had headspace problems , action would close on a no go guage and still close with a few thousands extra using a feelers guage. was told by RUGER within spec!!
The M77 refused to shoot , i tried many bullets & powders , 2 known good scopes a 2.5x10 AO & a 6.5x20 leupold and used bussiness cards in various places up down the stock to find a sweet spot to no avail . returned to RUGER 3 times for repair they did some things but never fixed the accuracy issues , the best load I came up with was a inch at 50 yards, i gave up and sold it & bought a contender pistol which shot 1" at 100 yards with almost the first load tried