PDA

View Full Version : Miss Minnie Schenck, you were way ahead of your times.

ohland
12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
It is an old saying that women are easier to train how to shoot, because they don't have bad habits to unlearn. YMMV.

The Breech-Loading Single-Shot Rifle, MAJ Ned Roberts and Ken Waters, page 297. ISBN: 0-935632-42-5

"Miss Minnie Schenck was a pupil and protege of John D. Kelley, and in a comparatively short time became so skillful in rest shooting at 200 yards that she often made smaller 10-shot groups than her instructor. She made many 10-shot groups at 200 yards rest with Kelly's Pope-Ballard that were perfect scores on the Standard American 200-yard Rest target, being one of the few women who have made such scores."

:coffeecom

ohland
12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Shooting and Fishing, Vol 38, No. 2, page 33. John Taylor Humphrey, ed.

Snippet-

Rest Rifle Shooting
John D. Kelley, of Williamsport, PA., who has obtained remarkable results in rifle shooting at rest, writes as follows:

"These targets were made with my .38 caliber Stevens-Pope-Ballard rifle and telescope sight at 200 yards from a Pope machine rest. Miss Minnie Schenck shot target No. 1, and William Everett No. 2, the others being made by myself.

Length of barrel of the rifle is 32 inches, the complete arm weighing 16 pounds. The weight of bullets was 330 grains, 1 to 16, Leopold's No. 6 lubricant, and were loaded in the barrel with Pope's latest lever starter. The shell used was the .38-72 Winchester, 69 grains FG Hazard, and 3 grains No. 1 Du Pont Rifle Smokeless, and was primed with U. M. C. 7 1/2 primers.

The wind flags were placed 50, 100, and 150 yards from the firing point, nine feet long, balloon shape, six inches in diameter, with rings about one foot apart on inside, and set about eight feet from line of fire. This is the method of flagging taught me by Horace Warner.

:coffeecom

ohland
12-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Kutztown Patriot, No. 1491, Dec 13, 1902. page 1. (Kutztown, Berks County, Pa.)

- Miss Minnie Schenck, of Williamsport, is declared to be the champion woman rifle shot of the world, having just established a record of twenty consecutive bullseyes at two hundred yards. Miss Schenck, who uses a thirty-two calibre rifle, is a terror to sparrows. Out of fifty-six shots she did not miss one, using a thirty-two calibre rifle.

[sparrows? Varmiter? ed.]

waksupi
12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I remember years ago at the old Virginia City Mt. Buffler Runner shoots, a couple guys were complaining that a woman (Irene LaGeose) won the 1000 yard shoot. I told them that was easy to solve, just shoot better than she did next time. They acted all huffy about that.

ohland
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Pity, Google has this in snippet form only.

Miss Minnie Schenck, another protege, has for ten years been an inmate of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Kelley, and is known as the greatest female target shot in the world, a fact which, notwithstanding Miss Schenck's shrinking from notoriety, the ...

Looking at an old "Boyd's Williamsport City Directory, 1899, page 479, there is a "John D. Kelley" at 325 Campbell Street.

"The father of John D. Kelley, of Williamsport, was David Kelley. who was born in Ireland and emigrated to the United States. He settled in ..."

Born in Towanda, Bradford, Pennsylvania, USA to David Kelly and Mary Donacher