PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Lyman (Ideal) Bullet dipper (Carver Bullet Ladle)

ohland
12-19-2013, 04:40 PM
The Breech-Loading Single-Shot Rifle, MAJ Ned Roberts and Ken L. Waters, Wolfe Publishing Co, 1987, ISBN 0-935632-42-5, page 198.

"The first good bullet dipper shooters had was invented and patented in 1885 by James W. Carver, the ingenious Vermont Yankee and expert rifleman, then of Pawlet, Vermont, who also invented and manufactured several other practical accessories for riflemen. The Carver Bullet Ladle, or bullet dipper, of similar design to the present Ideal dipper, was made in two sizes, the No. 1 being of somewhat larger capacity than the No. 2, which was practically the same size as the Ideal dipper now on the market. When John H. Barlow started business under the name of the Ideal manufacturing Company, he bought Carver's patent rights for the bullet dipper and placed the smaller one on the market as the Ideal Bullet Dipper, now produced by the Lyman Gunsight Company, which is the best in production".

Hmm, finally the name of Carver shows up.

:coffeecom

bhn22
12-19-2013, 05:20 PM
You seem to be able to get more information about Ideal that Lyman does. It does no good to call them about anything they can't read out of the current catalog.

ohland
12-19-2013, 05:55 PM
You seem to be able to get more information about Ideal that Lyman does. It does no good to call them about anything they can't read out of the current catalog.

Anyone with a desire and some old books can do the same. I was looking through this book, and I noticed Carver, and I remembered the 360xxx (?) boolit, the Carver 330.

ohland
12-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Anyone with a desire and some old books can do the same. I was looking through this book, and I noticed Carver, and I remembered the 360xxx (?) boolit, the Carver 330.