PDA

View Full Version : Safety gear list (N00b question)

manithree
12-19-2013, 11:31 AM
I've been searching and reading stickies for a couple of days now, and I've found mentions of safety gear (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?164675-What-do-you-use-for-flux&highlight=flux+recipe), but not a list of what's absolutely necessary, or what people are using. If there's already a thread on this, I apologize, but I couldn't find it.

I'm hoping to start casting with my son on Christmas day, so I want to have all the gear lined up properly. So here's my preliminary list for discussion purposes:

Welding apron (http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html)
Welding gloves (http://www.harborfreight.com/14-inch-welding-gloves-97033.html)
Face shield (http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-face-shield-46526.html)
Eye protection (glasses or goggles)
Long pants
Long sleeve shirt
Boots
respirator?

I found on another forum a guy who wears a leather jacket when casting. Do most folks use something like leather sleeves (http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-split-leather-sleeves-40206.html), or not?

Is any of that overkill? Am I forgetting anything important?

John Allen
12-19-2013, 11:33 AM
I have a leather welding jacket I wear when I smelt it is heavy but I would rather sweat than burn.

John Allen
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I also wear a welding cap I do not know how well it will handle hot lead but would rather have this over nothing.

BruceB
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Do a search for "tsunami".

The fifth hit that comes up is "The Lead Tsunami" which is a discussion of protective gear.

You may gain some insight on that thread.

A leather apron covers more of one's body than a jacket, particularly if sitting down to cast.

manithree
12-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Do a search for "tsunami".

Why didn't I think of that :-? ? I had actually found that thread searching for "apron" but only read the first page or so. After going back and reading further, it was useful, thank you.

A leather apron covers more of one's body than a jacket, particularly if sitting down to cast.

I believe he wore the jacket with an apron.

I'm definitely getting the apron, and probably the sleeves, too. I've only been re-loading for a few years, but casting scares me more.

FLINTNFIRE
12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I wear a set of coveralls that are supposed to be flame resistant , safety glasses , welding gloves when smelting , cotton pants and cotton long sleeve shirt underneath, pants over the boots . Coveralls add the resistant feature with snaps for quickly getting off ,use caution in how you add to your smelt or to your casting pot , lots of opinions on the site , and different set ups .

Worked in an aluminum smelter when I was younger , have seen what cold metal and moisture does with molten aluminum , some of the stuff you added to the pots you threw in while standing to the side of the access door , wear your glasses , leather cotton or wool were allowed , long sleeves shirts outside of pants , some wore aprons . be safe.

country gent
12-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Always remember saftey first and use the appropriate saftey gear. Long sleeves heavy pants boots (Leather perferably) an Apron is good. I dont wear sleeves but do wear heavy glooves / gauntlets, saftey glasses min face shield is better. Hat or cover. Heat source and casting style will also affect saftey gear needs. Open flame ( propane wood coal under a pot) add a fire extinguisher to the list. Another aspect of saftey is having the casting area set up for ease of use. Being ergonomiacally useable makes for a safer enviroment. Have a flow of air from behind you to outside.

manithree
12-19-2013, 01:55 PM
I have a leather welding jacket I wear when I smelt it is heavy but I would rather sweat than burn.
Hydration is a lot easier than healing from burns, right? Thanks, I didn't know welding jackets (or caps) existed. I'll look into those, too.

manithree
12-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Open flame ( propane wood coal under a pot) add a fire extinguisher to the list.

Ah yes. For my immediate purposes, I don't have a smelting setup. I have 50 lbs. of COWW ingots smelted by my nephew and I'll be casting using a Lee 20lb bottom pour 110V pot.

Thanks for all the input.

Nobody has said anything about respirators yet. Nobody use those for casting? We have ok respirators for powder coating (from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance-free-dual-cartridge-respirator-66554.html)). I dunno if we should use those casting or if they would be worthwhile.

Again, thanks everybody!

snuffy
12-19-2013, 03:28 PM
[quot]Nobody has said anything about respirators yet. Nobody use those for casting? We have ok respirators for powder coating (from Harbor Freight). I dunno if we should use those casting or if they would be worthwhile.

Again, thanks everybody! [quot]

Now you're getting into the controversy of the smoke---fumes---vapor area. Those terms are used interchangeably by many here on this site. Smoke will always be around when you flux. it can smell bad and may not be good for you, but it won't kill you. Fumes, well they can be used to mean the same thing as smoke. Vapor, that's the bad stuff, as in lead vapor. BUT it is not a serious concern for the hobby boolit maker, vapor is only produced at or above 1200 degrees, far above what your Lee pot can get to.

Your initial list leaves out one important item, GLASSES OR GOGGLES! Yeah, I see the face shield there, but if you raise it or take it off, your eyes are exposed. The final defense of your eyes should stay on your face any time you're casting. OR LOADING! I have no choice but to wear glasses, I have since I was 8 Y.O., that was 59 years ago.

dbosman
12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
As to odors, I use a fan. Standard 20" box fan. The fan makes it easier to breath fresh air, and most importantly it helps keep my wife mostly unconcerned about the inevitable smokes coming off the smelting pot. I put it blowing across me, and facing out of the garage. Of course she's the one who warms her van in the garage in Winter and stinks up the family room adjacent to it. Argh!

manithree
12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Your initial list leaves out one important item, GLASSES OR GOGGLES! Yeah, I see the face shield there, but if you raise it or take it off, your eyes are exposed. The final defense of your eyes should stay on your face any time you're casting. OR LOADING! I have no choice but to wear glasses, I have since I was 8 Y.O., that was 59 years ago.

Good point. We already have plenty of those since we religiously use them when shooting or reloading. Since the face shield is easy to flip up, it makes sense to double up so we're always protected (OP edited, also).

dikman
12-20-2013, 12:38 AM
A lot of it could be considered overkill, in my opinion, if you're just casting using a bottom pour pot. Much will depend on your setup, and how you go about it. Me, I wear jeans, longsleeves (always), safety boots, safety glasses and I use Rigger's leather gloves. I have heavy gauntlets, but don't like them because I don't have the feel and control I get with the thinner gloves. I'm starting to cast while sitting, but if there are any problems I stand to sort them out, and also stand (well back) when I top up the pot. Fumes/vapours aren't really an issue while casting (except when I drop in a wax pellet to flux!), but I do all my casting outside, under cover.

btroj
12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
I wear long pants, boots, and glasses when casting. No gloves, apron, or any of that. I cast standing up so the chance of a spill landing in my lap is pretty small.

When smelting I wear the same.

I do keep my head about me and use common sense at all times. I don't cast when tired.

44Vaquero
12-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I fall into the same camp a Btroj with the exception of playing "Michael Jackson" i.e., one glove. There is such a thing as being over prepared.

2wheelDuke
12-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I like the Ove Gloves for casting. I use big welding gloves for smelting, but the Ove gloves give me much better dexterity for casting. At first, I never wore gloves because my dad never did. I experimented with leather garden gloves and welding gloves before going to the nomex gloves.

I do wear safety glasses after a close call with a flying piece of spattered lead. I always wear a hat now after that experience. I always wore jeans and long sleeves. I usually wear boots, but have gotten away with heavier build sneakers. Little splashes of lead were no problem, but if things really went bad, boots would be best.

KYCaster
12-21-2013, 12:13 AM
No synthetics......natural fibers only. Cotton or wool will protect you while synthetics may make the burns worse.

For casting, leather is pretty much over kill. A cotton shop apron or lab coat will protect you from splatters as well as a leather welder's apron. The exception is boots......leather boots with tops high enough that your pants cover the tops.

Jersey gloves allow more dexterity than leather. For 100% cotton gloves check welder's or plumber's suppliers.

Clear escape route......make sure you can get away if you need to.

Good luck and be careful.
Jerry

canyon-ghost
12-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Yes, eye protection is good. I wear glasses and have had them catch lead splatter once when a drop of water hit the lead pot (pop!). I usually don't even wear gloves but, I ladle cast. The only time I pull on a pair of work gloves is to get out more lead for the pot and, to drop it in with. It's all a matter of being careful around heat and keeping one's co-ordination up to par.

Just a welder, Good Luck,
Ron

Bullshop Junior
12-21-2013, 02:11 AM
When I am messing with molten lead, I wear all my welding gear, minus the helmet. It it will put up To molten steel, it will handle lead.

Dan Cash
12-21-2013, 09:10 AM
I wear long sleeves, high temp gloves because I hand open the mould, long cotton pants and sometimes eye protection. That said, if you are afraid of the casting process, don't cast. Your fear will get you hurt.

Dan Cash
12-21-2013, 09:11 AM
I wear long sleeves, high temp gloves because I hand open the mould, long cotton pants and sometimes eye protection. That said, if you are afraid of the casting process, don't cast. Your fear will get you hurt.