PDA

View Full Version : Seek ONE moderate load for .480 Ruger

Naphtali
11-25-2007, 02:45 PM
For my 7.5-inch barrelled Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger, I seek one moderate load, using plain-base hard cast bullets I cast:

1. Plain-base hard cast bullet mold, casting 325-375-grain bullets. I'm flexible since any bullet in this weight range will be acceptable.

2. Muzzle velocity between 1050 and 1150 fps should yield an effective range of up to 80 meters with red dot sight. And this is all I need.
I have identified several loads more potent than what I want, but easy-shooting loads are more difficult to find.

Having no experience casting for this revolver -- I cast for muzzleloaders -- I don't know who makes a plain-based single- or double-cavity bullet mold for my intended result.

I also am uncertain what casting alloy will yield plain-based bullets that will shoot accurately at my intended velocity.

Glen
11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Check out:

http://www.lasc.us/480Ruger.htm

for a few ideas.

Tom W.
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
You may be able to find a mold by Lee or RCBS, I have a 400 gr. single cavity from RCBS. Wheel weights work just fine as a casting alloy, and finding Data for cast bullets is almost impossible.
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/480ruger_052505/

Naphtali
11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Tom: You mention the dearth of data for cast bullets. What would result were I to substitute a hard cast bullet of the same weight ± 10 grains for jacketed bullet, use Starline brass as substitute for any other, and identical primers, powder, and charge?

What I'm asking is not whether the load would be accurate. Rather, would the load be safe? And would the range of powder charge remain safe, to allow me to adjust the charge to create acceptably accurate load?

Tom W.
11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Well, truth be told, I'm having to use jacketed data for the cast bullets, and I'd hazard a guess that I'm not alone here. My bullets are cast from Wheel weights, with a small piece of Babbitt mixed in. I can't give a specific amount, other than to say I add a certain size piece when I replenish my pot. It makes for very hard bullets.
In my Super Redhawk, the loads are running in the 1260 f.p.s. area, with a 400 grain cast plain base bullet. I don't want to shoot a light load in this revolver, I believe that one should play with what you'll be hunting with. Of course, I only have the one mold. I do have some 325 gr. JSP's that I've loaded up, but that's what my son likes to shoot. I haven't tried them yet.

Please do not reduce loads with H110. I'd just start with the minimum listed load and go from there. I still have all of my fingers and haven't blown up a firearm yet.

I'd think if you really wanted a safe and unique load, put a lot of FFg in a few selected cases and seat a bullet on them. Cleaning would be a witch, and your cases would need to be separated from the others, but it would be a white smokey hoot!

freedom475
11-30-2007, 01:11 AM
RCBS 400gr. SWC and Titegroup powder. the powder doesn't take up much space in the case so use caution, don't get a double charge. You can find cast data from Hodgdon. Trail boss is good for light loads. But the Titgroup is moderate and not to loud.