PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 top punch

MakeMineA10mm
11-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi folks. Throwing this question out there, as I'm being driven nuts. All the top-punches I have are for SWC or RN bullets, and now that I'm sizing RNFPs, the SWC top punches are too sharp at their mouth, and are leaving a circumferential line around the nose of the bullet.

What I would like is a top punch that fits the Lyman 450, that is just flat at the bottom. Maybe something they make for a WC? Anybody know the top punch number for a flat Lyman Top Punch, probably for a .357" caliber bullet, as this will work for 38s, 10mms, 44s and 45s (basically all the calibers I may load flat-pointed bullets in)?

floodgate
11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
10mm:

Look through the Lyman / Ideal bullet charts on CASTPICS; they show the bullet shapes and list the matching top punch numbers. Buckshot made me a set of flat-faced TP's in the various standard calibers (you can use, say, a .41 or .44 TP OK in a .45), but he's pretty loaded up right now. If you've got a spare TP, you can file or turn it flat, or fill the hollow with epoxy and trim it flat - easily removed later with heat if needed. Actually, if the "ring" is even and well centered, it won't hurt a thing, except maybe at long ranges where it will drop the ballistic coefficient a tad.

floodgate

GP100man
11-25-2007, 08:40 PM
what youre looking for is top punch#495 then cut the ring off of it .
i took a 1/4 inch bolt & rounded the head a little to go in the big bores, then cut it to length.
the 495 will work for 38rnfp from lee

GP100man

:cbpour:

mooman76
11-25-2007, 09:09 PM
344 is what you want. It is flat all the way across with no ring!

MakeMineA10mm
11-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks guys, especially moonman. I'll check 344 on Castpics and order it up immediately... Shoulda done this years ago... :groner:

johnly
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Apply a thin coat of lube to the nose of one of your bullets, and take a nose punch that is of the same diameter and put a dap of 5 minute epoxy in it and run it about half way into your sizing die and let it set for 10 minutes.

Bingo. A perfectly fitting nose punch. If you want to remove the epoxy, a little heat from a propane torch, and the epoxy can be removed.

John

MakeMineA10mm
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
You guys with your epoxy idea - That's a great suggestion, and I needed it, because my "Slippery" 9mm bullet group buy mould won't have an easily-found perfect fit for the Lyman 450, so I'm going to use y'all's suggestion for that one.

For my flat-point bullets, though, I'm getting that 344. Found one on the net for about $10, shipping included, so that's reasonable. I'll be able to put that 344 in the 450 and size four different 44-cal bullets, two 357 bullets, and a 10mm bullet, all without changing the top punch.

Thanks everyone!

johnly
11-27-2007, 01:10 AM
I just machine nose punch blanks and then make a special punch for each mold. Yes, I'm spoiled.:-D

John

hotwheelz
12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
For my flat-point bullets, though, I'm getting that 344. Found one on the net for about $10, shipping included, so that's reasonable. I'll be able to put that 344 in the 450 and size four different 44-cal bullets, two 357 bullets, and a 10mm bullet, all without changing the top punch.

Thanks everyone!

Where did you find it I have looked threw my midway catalog and tried rcbs and lyman site I dont see a top punch # 344? I really need one of these thanks

TCFAN
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Where did you find it I have looked threw my midway catalog and tried rcbs and lyman site I dont see a top punch # 344? I really need one of these thanks

hotwheelz

Try here for a #344
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-344-Top-Punch-For-Lubrisizer-2786714_W0QQitemZ180136301404QQihZ008QQcategoryZ71 118QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Terry

MakeMineA10mm
12-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Yep, DNR Sports is where I ordered mine from. Cost me $15 w/ shipping, and without going through Evil-Bay. I did a search in Google for DNR sports in Pennsylvania and found their phone number that way.

I think Lyman has discontinued that top punch (and bullet mould?), so it is no longer an item "in the pipeline". Better get them while you can.

hotwheelz
12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
TCFAN

Thanks for the link I just bought one, I have treid 3 diff. top punches on my Lee bullets .45 rnfp they allways leave a ring is now it will work the way it should. Thanks :castmine:

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Just remember that a flat top punch without a cavity won't be able to aid in starting the bullet concentric with the case. This can be a real problem, especially with bevel base bullets, which will start entering the case on an angle. The opposite situation from where the bevel normally aids in entering in cases that have little or no mouth expansion.
Morgan

Bad Water Bill
12-13-2007, 04:53 AM
That last seller on evil bay isnt making monet on the 344 punches but he WILL get rich on the shipping. Would you believe $8.00 for less than a 1 oz item BWB :castmine:

Morgan Astorbilt
12-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry for my last post, I must have been having a "Senior Moment":confused:
The same caution holds true for the sizing die, the recess in the top punch is to align the bullet with the sizing die. Having the bullet enter the die on an angle, really plays H+ll with the accuracy. It's common knowledge among the schuetzen crowd, that sizing bullets, while improving them cosmetically, actually magnifies any defects already there from casting. That's why we either pan lube, or use a Pope-style luber which doesn't size. This also allows us to use tapered, or multi- diameter bullets.
Morgan