PDA

View Full Version : Grrr. . . Gonna be a long winter

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I posted in the fishin forum the other day, about my first ice trip of the year (pun intended).
I in fact, took a dive on the ice, and hurt my knee. X-rays showed no broken bones on Thursday,
but the MRI on Monday was reviewed today and its full of bad news.
I managed to tear a medium/small tear into the meniscus, small tear on my PCL,
and my ACL is completely disconnected at each end. Physical therapy starts tomorrow, surgery likely in Late January.
The ACL is gonna have to be replaced with a cadaver donor.
Looks like a long winter coming up for me, so you boys keep the stories coming so I got something to read:lol:

MOcaster
12-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Sorry to hear that. But I guess we will see you next fall. Sorry. I couldn't resist. Get well soon.

MaryB
12-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I have a torn ACL in both knees, doc won't bother fixing it, says I will need new knees soon enough. No fun with the pain! Have fun with physical torture, had mine today on my wrist(not bad) and neck(hurt like H**L). She also found that I probably cracked my collar bone and it is mostly healed. Neck pain hid it.

Miller
12-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Good luck with the recovery!

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Sorry to hear that. But I guess we will see you next fall. Sorry. I couldn't resist. Get well soon.

Cool :)

Mk42gunner
12-19-2013, 02:02 AM
I know it is a PITA to do all the physical therapy they will want you to do, but do it anyway. If you don't, all the limping around you will do will result in a loss of muscle tone in your leg, mostly in the muscles right above your knee.

Ask me how do I know this? The VA docs here spent three years telling me they couldn't find anything wrong with my right knee, despite the fact that it buckled with every step I took. I finally got fed up and went to a civilian doctor and he actually listened, He grabbed my leg moved it around a bit and pronounced a torn ligament.

I had surgery last year; but my right leg is still at least an inch smaller than the left, and when I get tired it doesn't work right.

Good luck,

Robert

waksupi
12-19-2013, 02:38 AM
After fishing McWennegars slough yesterday, and doing a three hundred yard ice dance, I'm surprised we won't be sharing a room! Man, it was slick.
Let us know if you go down hill. I will apply the Montana Blue Sky law, and put you out of your misery.

BruceB
12-19-2013, 05:59 AM
When spring comes 'way up north in the Territories, lakes will have as much as six FEET (or more) of "hard water".

The snow melts-off first, leaving plenty of ice that's perfectly safe for vehicles, and hence very easy access to ice fishing. Ever drive to your fishing hole at over 100 mph? I have.

So....one fine day, I was driving my F250 on the twenty-mile lake in front of our house, and I saw a familiar-looking vehicle parked on the ice a mile or so off . I drove over, and sure enough, it was a truck belonging to a friend from work at the mine.

There were four of my acquaintances in that crewcab, and they'd cut a fishing hole on each side of the truck.

Apparently they'd brought a goodly amount of beer along, and they got so tired (with fishing and beer) that they ALL fell asleep... just a little siesta, you know? Beautiful day, sunshine, blue sky, fresh air....zzzzzz.

Here's the good part.....they had hooked a line into each hole from the windshield wipers.... and while they snoozed happily, the wipers were going and "jigging" with whatever was on the ends of those lines!

That lake contains lake trout and pike up to the forty-pound class or even bigger.... if one of THOSE had latched-on, it would have been time for new wiper blades, for sure!

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks Ric, but I dont think that will be necessary. I might even be able to get a few more times out, as
friends with ATV's have volunteered to pack my carcass out on the ice :)
If nothing else, I can sit on my stool and pour boolits all winter, wonder if winter is enough time to pour
2700 pounds of lead into boolits :)

Dean D.
12-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Here's wishing you a successful surgery and a full recovery Jim.

If you can make it out to the Marion Spring shoot it would be great to meet ya.

nvbirdman
12-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you're looking forward to a lot of dead time. Pun intended.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Here's wishing you a successful surgery and a full recovery Jim.

If you can make it out to the Marion Spring shoot it would be great to meet ya.

I'm not into the mountain man thing as far as all the garb and such, but I do love the mentality and appreciate the people.
If Rick remembers to remind me, I love to come for spell.

Dean D.
12-20-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm not into the mountain man thing as far as all the garb and such, but I do love the mentality and appreciate the people.
If Rick remembers to remind me, I love to come for spell.

Not to worry Jim. You don't have to dress up to come out and visit or even shoot. Its all about having fun.

popper
12-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Get well soon, Jim. The furlough will allow the fish to grow a bit larger for you.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Get well soon, Jim. The furlough will allow the fish to grow a bit larger for you.

we have plenty big fish popper :)

snowwolfe
12-20-2013, 01:19 PM
A torn ACL is not the end of the world. Ripped mine when jumping off a ladder after cleaning the windows on our RV. One day after surgery I was off crutches and going to PT. Within a month you can be able to walk at least a mile or so.
My suggestion is to push for an earlier surgery date. Sooner the surgery, sooner you will be 100%.
Good luck.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-20-2013, 04:57 PM
they have me doing physical therapy for 5 weeks pre surgery, to build muscle tone and strength.
supposed to help reduce atrophy immediately after the surgery.I dont really mind the therapy,
as my legs have been junked for quite a while. This should help me a bunch, plus the
little girl working me out is the cutest thing I've seen for a while, 'ceptin the wedding ring:bigsmyl2:

Long as I'm cleared and able to fish the river by July 4, I'll be very happy

MT Gianni
12-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I hope that you heal quickly Jim. I bought a cheap set of ice cleats last year and need to remember to use them.

Idaho Mule
12-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I hope you get better soon, it's no fun being on the injured reserve, I say with my arm in a sling after shoulder surgery. JW

popper
12-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Jim - be sure to get some cramp-ons for the walker.
This should cheer you up, if you remember RedGreen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=niegc7QcilM

Col4570
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Jim,I had two new Knees fitted in 1995,six months between each operation.I have been a new man since then.After recovery the sense of well being will get you out on that lake to fish to your hearts content.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-21-2013, 04:05 PM
the worse part of this is I DID have ice cleats on!
Just a bad set of coincidences, snow pack in the cleats, drill a hole,
splash water, turn ice surface and cleats into a skating rink.

Just over a week later, hardly any pain in the knee, able to go up stairs
almost able to go down stair steps. Huge metal brace on my leg,
I can go fishing up to surgery time as long as I don't bite it again. :)

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-28-2013, 04:59 PM
I can go fishing up to surgery time as long as I don't bite it again. :)

And go I did :)
Today- only fish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/PC284320_zpsfc56793c.jpg

cbrick
12-28-2013, 05:11 PM
So Jim, why are ya showin off the bait? Where's the fish? :mrgreen:

Rick