PDA

View Full Version : Misfires with #1 Ruger

keyholer
12-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Using commercial cast bullets, I've been handloading for a couple 99 Savages, a 250 and a 300, and a Ruger #1 30-06. The lever actions go bang with every load. The Ruger sometimes misfires. I use the same equipment to reload 30-06 for two model 70's and have never had a misfire. The Ruger was purchased used but had not been modified. I took it apart to inspect the firing pin, cleaned its recess in the breechblock, lightly lubed the moving parts, etc. The firing pin strike seems puny compared to my other rifles. Is there something to be done for the #1 to make it whack the primer with more authority?

Johnny_V
12-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Sounds like you are oversizing the cases. Get a case gauge from Wilson (http://www.brownells.com/reloading/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/lyman-rifle-case-length-headspace-gauges-prod55081.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-Wilson%20Maximum%20Case%20Gage&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c749003106_d_ 749003101_d_20537&avs|Cartridge_1=CMM_30-06%20Springfield) and check your cases for proper headspace. A case headspace gauge is the only correct way of adjusting your full length dies.

The bolt actions are using the extractor to keep the case tight against the bolt face making a misfire near impossible, whereas the No. 1 relies totally upon the proper headspace (Case shoulder) to keep the case tight against the breech block. If there is too much headspace, the firing pin cannot reach the primer. If this was a rimmed cartridge or a belted magnum, the problem would most likely not present itself, because those cases headspace on the rim and belt respectively.

Just my 2¢

MattOrgan
12-19-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm guessing that the rifle is fine, the No. 1 has a lighter strike than 99s and most bolt guns. Make sure you are seating your primers completely in the primer pocket. The firing pin may be seating the primer completely and not always detonating it. If the rifle fires on the second try, that's probably it. Many rifles will seat the primer fully and have enough force to detonate it as the primer seats fully.

Doc Highwall
12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Your chamber for your Ruger No1 might be longer than your bolt guns causing the misfires. I use the headspace gage made by Stoney Point now made by Hornady to set up my dies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gage-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

Char-Gar
12-19-2013, 01:03 PM
When loading for the Ruger SSs, make up a dummy round with your bullet of choice and ease the bullet down until the round will chamber with light friction on the breech block. The bullet will be in contact with the lands, and the primer held against the firing in hole. Accuracy will also take an uptick.

old oil and grease can and will accumulate inside the breech block softening the firing in blow on the primer. The block need to be disassembled, cleans and put back together. Use graphite or some of dry lube inside the block if you must use lube.

country gent
12-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Is the firing pin hit centered on the primer or low/ Index mark a case and check it. There is a disconector in the mechanisim of the Number 1 if the block isnt raised high enough it wont fire. at times borfderline hieght results in light strikes. Also on older firearms that have been stored cocked for years the striker spring may be weakened slightly. Head space issues can also have this effect allowing the case to seat further into the chamber. Measure a fired case to mid point on the shoulder ( drill a hole half size of neck to body shoulder in a nut place this on shoulders and compare measurement of fired cases to sized cases) RCBS, Moes, Hornady , wilson, sinclair all make gages to measure this also. The nut and a set of calipers gives a useable comparative measurement. There are many things that can cause the light Hits effect. start slow and troubleshoot the rifle.

Harry O
12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
I had the same problem with one of my Ruger #3's. Wolff makes a heavier than normal mainspring for the Ruger #1 / #3. The reason is that the firing pin is at such an angle that any drag on any of the parts is enough to steal enough momentum to prevent it from firing. After I replaced the spring, I did not have any more problems with it failing to fire. The trigger pull is a little heavier, but not objectionable.

keyholer
12-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Many thanks to the knowledgeable shooters who replied to my question about the #1. You've provided some great insights. This is a wonderful forum!

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2013, 07:50 AM
I had one i bought brand new that the firing pin was drilled off center in the block and it would fire about once in 5 times.
Is the firing pin hit centered on the primer or low/ Index mark a case and check it. There is a disconector in the mechanisim of the Number 1 if the block isnt raised high enough it wont fire. at times borfderline hieght results in light strikes. Also on older firearms that have been stored cocked for years the striker spring may be weakened slightly. Head space issues can also have this effect allowing the case to seat further into the chamber. Measure a fired case to mid point on the shoulder ( drill a hole half size of neck to body shoulder in a nut place this on shoulders and compare measurement of fired cases to sized cases) RCBS, Moes, Hornady , wilson, sinclair all make gages to measure this also. The nut and a set of calipers gives a useable comparative measurement. There are many things that can cause the light Hits effect. start slow and troubleshoot the rifle.

rockrat
12-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Lloyd, seems like I have one from the same batch. It only fires about once every 3 times. Sent it back to Ruger, they said things were fine.
I could put a breechblock in, from one of my other #1's and it would shoot every time.

Lloyd Smale
12-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I sent the gun and some fired brass in with it and they replaced the block. I was worried theyd send me another gun as this one has nice wood.

Midnatt264
12-25-2013, 05:25 PM
keyholer - It's another "quirk" in the design of the No 1 - what Harry O said is pretty much dead on, IMHO. I had a No 1 in 6.5x55 that had the occaisonal "double-tap" needed to primers. All the primers from that gun had shallower dings to the primer than most bolters I used.

375RUGER
12-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Only misfires I've ever had on a No1 were from brass that was not sized/shoulder set back enough. I had some brass shot in another rifle with long headspace and when sized was too hard and had a lot of springback. Too much pressure on the block caused misfire.