PDA

View Full Version : I have started tracking my progress in sillhouette

GARD72977
12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I almost practice exclusively with the silhouette now. I started a spread sheet to keep track of the percentages of hits. I am only shooting rams for now. I want to get my other silhouettes set up this weekend. Then I will track them as 40 shot matches. Im at 27.5% since I have been tracking (120 shots). Not sure what would be good for the RWS 350 Magnum. Its not a very good gun for silhouettes. It sure puts a smack down on the rams at 45yds. It is carrying 11+FPE when it hits the rams. These are small targets for that range. Im excited to keep the record because when I tune the gun or change guns I will be able to see the exact impact on my shooting.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Gard: You'll also have to evaluate pellets in your new endeavor. Since there are only about 11 million different ones out there it should keep you busy.

I have found that the H&N Barakuda at 22 gr works best in my R1 and HW77 for longer distances. My Airgun shooting of Silhouettes has been confined to shooting paper targets at 10M, and for that I use the H&N Match or now they have a cheaper version of the same pellet called Sport. These are wadcutters and work well at the short distance.

More homework for you, I just keep piling it on!

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
12-21-2013, 10:18 PM
http://www.onlinesilhouetteshoot.com/

i have been printing them and doing this as well.I am averaging 19 of 40 so far.I thought i was better than that!

BCB
12-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I assume those silhouette targets are shot off-hand at 10 meters?...

I have a Benjamin PCP and it will hit 2" square spinner targets at 75 yards with great consistency--from a sandbag rest of course...

I've only been into the airgun stuff for about 6 months and it is interesting to say the least...

Good-luck...BCB

GARD72977
12-22-2013, 02:29 PM
That's a great site. I joined and will be shooting steel and paper.

GARD72977
12-24-2013, 07:16 PM
I hit a string of 7 in a row. I hit 1-5 on the bank then hit 1 and 2 on the second bank. I really thought I was going to go 10 for 10. I did hit 19 out of 40 rams today. Things are getting better. This was the best I have ever done.

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Me too! Good way to stay connected and I think I'll shoot my first match on Christmas Day.

I shoot Rimfire Silhouette once a month at my club. My best score this year was 32/40 I haven't been able to get beyond 25 since and last Sat I shot 20/40 which I felt,,, sucked. I missed way too many chickens and pigs.. I am shooting open sights at these shoots and get to shoot at the larger targets as opposed to the smaller ones intended for optic equipped rifles.

Pretty sure I won the division this year as not only did I have the high score, but I also showed up more times than anyone else.

I really like the game.

Next years season begins in January and I will be shooting my newly acquired Springfield M2 with a Lyman receiver sight. I may have to shoot at the smaller targets but the gun holds better than my Mauser as it is muzzle heavy and just seems to hang steadier.

We'll see if I do good.

I have never came remotely close to that shooting at the 10M distance in my garage. 8-10 is a good day.

I will be mostly shooting my HW35 in .177 since it has the peep sight on it like the M2 does. the idea is to practice with the airgun frequently and once a week is way more than I've been shooting for practice as it sits.

I'd love to shoot outdoors are steel targets and you get more instant gratification when you hit one of those and see it fall over. You can also remember the sight picture better like that..

I know last month after the shoot I managed to shoot the R1 at the Rimfire targets. Chickens at 40 yards sent them flying. Pigs at 50 yards no problem. Turkey fell when I hit it in the tail at 75 yds. took three shots to hit that one, and I held off the target 1 mil left and 1.5 mils high. With the sun at my back you could see the path of the pellet which looked like a Sandy Kofax curveball.

Great fun!

Randy

GARD72977
12-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Sounds like you are really enjoying your shooting. If you have a place to shoot 45yds then ebay is a great place to buy 1/10 scale targets. Glad to hear someone else shooting open sights. Its just more fun.

HARRYMPOPE
12-25-2013, 01:44 AM
So 45 is the official distance for the 1/10 scale?I may have to buy some of those.

GARD72977
12-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Yes 45 yds is a long way for that little ram. I got mine off ebay for 63.00 shipped for the set of 20. Im going to build small berms at all the distances so I can shoot a complete match. I need to buy another set so I have all 40. There is nothing more gratifying than seeing the target fall.

GARD72977
12-28-2013, 12:49 AM
I made a big mistake. When I measured the 45 yds for the rams some how I ended up at 40 yds. I found the mistake today when I was setting up the other targets. It is only 15 feet but it really has me rattled. Im just having trouble hitting them now. Have to practice more!!

W.R.Buchanan
12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Shot my first online match last night. 10/40 which considering the size of the targets is not bad. They are definitely smaller than even the Small Rimfire targets for outdoors. Very challenging to hit a target that small with iron sights. Still by the time I got to the pigs I had the sight picture down and got 5 of them.

I used my HW35 with the Williams Receiver Sight on it and a post reticle in the front sight.

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
They are challenging.I did as well with irons as scope.maybe not seeing my wobbles calms me down!

GARD72977
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I shot a whopping score of ......... 7 . Then in all the excitement I entered it in the pistol class. Im starting off right!

HARRYMPOPE
01-03-2014, 12:11 AM
I shot a whopping score of ......... 7 . Then in all the excitement I entered it in the pistol class. Im starting off right!

Its better than not shooting match and telling people how good you are! That's 7 out of 10 correct?<G>
I tried the pistol one and gave up after missing every one on the first 20 go around.

GARD72977
01-03-2014, 02:06 AM
I am ashamed to say that is 7 out of 40. I have been struggling with the extra 15 ft on the rams. I just have not shot the other targets to get a good sight picture.

W.R.Buchanan
01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Gard: Let me tell you something,,, hitting any of these targets is a accomplishment worthy of note.

I have several Long range silhouette scores of ZERO/40 and believe me this is not hard to do!

I do lots better on the Rimfire Silhouette game simply because the targets are much bigger! I can predictably hold on the bottom edge of the body on all four targets and get hits.

With the paper silhouettes I can't even make out the difference in the shape of the types of targets. They are all just blackish spots. I was starting to get dialed in after about 30 shots, but still I couldn't call where I hit a target. With the Rimfire targets I can tell you exactly where I hit on the target nearly every time.

Another thing to consider is that a Paper Target with scaled spots yields a smaller hit zone than a Steel Target placed at 45 yards. With .177 pellets the pellet is 25% the size of the target. A steel target is much larger in comparison to the pellet so the pellet has a much larger area to hit. I know it doesn't sound like it should be any different but it certainly is in reality.

My personal best in Rimfire Silhouette is 32/40, 10/40 is the best I've ever shot in my garage. So chew on that.

So don't beat yourself up a whole lot. My scores could go to ship in one week easily. Yours should get better and they certainly will the more you shoot.

Look at it this way.. If you shoot a zero you can only improve the next time out.

Randy

GARD72977
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Gard: Let me tell you something,,, hitting any of these targets is a accomplishment worthy of note.

I have several Long range silhouette scores of ZERO/40 and believe me this is not hard to do!

I do lots better on the Rimfire Silhouette game simply because the targets are much bigger! I can predictably hold on the bottom edge of the body on all four targets and get hits.

With the paper silhouettes I can't even make out the difference in the shape of the types of targets. They are all just blackish spots. I was starting to get dialed in after about 30 shots, but still I couldn't call where I hit a target. With the Rimfire targets I can tell you exactly where I hit on the target nearly every time.

Another thing to consider is that a Paper Target with scaled spots yields a smaller hit zone than a Steel Target placed at 45 yards. With .177 pellets the pellet is 25% the size of the target. A steel target is much larger in comparison to the pellet so the pellet has a much larger area to hit. I know it doesn't sound like it should be any different but it certainly is in reality.

My personal best in Rimfire Silhouette is 32/40, 10/40 is the best I've ever shot in my garage. So chew on that.

So don't beat yourself up a whole lot. My scores could go to ship in one week easily. Yours should get better and they certainly will the more you shoot.

Look at it this way.. If you shoot a zero you can only improve the next time out.

Randy

Thanks for the words or encouragement but Im shooting real steel targets. Im a little let down because I was doing very well with the rams but found out I had set them 5yds short! Im not really unhappy with the score of 7. I was hoping for a 10. If I move up to 8 then that would be a 20% hit ratio. Not where I want to be but I can work on it. The ultimate goal for me with iron sights is a score of 20 or 50% hit ratio. I think that with the gun im shooting that would be very respectable. Im going to up grade this spring and will start over and set new goals.

HARRYMPOPE
01-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Doing that well with a beast like the RWS 350 is tough.

caseyboy
01-03-2014, 10:09 PM
I am an active smallbore and highpower silhouette competitor and have made master class in both smallbore rifles and am AAA in both highpower rifles and need one more leg in hunter to make master there. I also shoot highpower with cast boolits, but that is a different topic. I do shoot a lot of indoor 10m air rifle paper silhouette matches. I think it is the air rifle practice that got me into master class. I will try to upload a couple of my targets.

GARD72977
01-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Just have to get my mind right. I do not have confidence in my shooting right now. I will say the air gun has really improved my rifle shooting. I plan to kick but in the Rondy coming up!

caseyboy
01-03-2014, 10:44 PM
The thing with the air rifle, is that follow through is very important. A 500fps pellet spends at least twice the time in the barrel as a rimfire in a smallbore rifle. If it is a springer, add the time of the piston to spring forward as well before the pellet even moves. Like I said, I strongly believe that air rifle practice has really improved my shooting!

caseyboy
01-03-2014, 11:01 PM
OK, lets see if these will up load.9260092601
I have shot the perfect match at least a dozen times. I keep all the targets I have shot in a binder. It is a bit of a history as to how my improvement has progressed.
Cheers,
Mike

GARD72977
01-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Good shooting. I have a gamo compact that im going to shoot the paper pistol match with.

Baja_Traveler
01-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the link to the silhouette site! I shoot the various silhouette matches nearly every weekend at two different clubs (levergun .22, levergun pistol cartridge, levergun rifle, military bolt and BPCR). Don't have an appropriate bolt action .22 for that game, but may get one in the future. I shoot AAA in all of them but the levergun rifle, where I'm still AA class. Best score so far in .22 is 33/40, and practicing my offhand with the air rifle will help me see scores like that more often.
I'm going to set up an air rifle backstop in the garage and start participating in the postal silhouette air rifle site also, sounds like a good use for my RWS 75...

W.R.Buchanan
01-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Mike: what type of gun are you shooting and what type is sighting system? I was quite impressed with your targets. I have never seen anything like that around here.

My best last year was 32/40 with my Mauser ES340 B and open sights, but I can see getting very close to perfect in the upcoming year between the airguns and the Springfield M2 I'm going to be shooting.

Randy

caseyboy
01-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi Randy,
I am shooting a modified Daisy 953 single stroke pneumatic with a Center Point 4-16 scope. I believe those targets were shot at 10x. The Daisy has had the trigger job done to remove the creep and to make the pull weight adjustable. I have it set at 2lbs. I have also added a couple of muzzle weights as I found the rifle to be very front light. This rifle seems to shoot anything RWS very well. I go back and forth bewteen the Hobbies and the Basics, which ever I can get a good deal on. These pellets are the wad cutter type and weight 7.0 grains. Velocity is just under 500fps. I have a set of the 1/10 swingers that I set up at our cabin in the summer. The Daisy does well out to the 45 yard rams. Definitely hits them hard enough to get it swinging. The chicken swinger will easily do 3 or 4 rotations with a good solid hit.
Cheers,
Mike

GARD72977
01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
When I shoot the pig it flys over the berm and goes about 15 ft behind it. Im getting 875 with a 10.5gr pellet. Not the best for silhouette

cbashooter
01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
OK, lets see if these will up load.9260092601
I have shot the perfect match at least a dozen times. I keep all the targets I have shot in a binder. It is a bit of a history as to how my improvement has progressed.
Cheers,
Mike

very good scores with such a cheap gun.what other type of matches do you shoot typically?

caseyboy
01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
I shoot smallbore and highpower NRA silhouette. The smallbore is out to 100m and the highpower is out to 500m. The air rifle is just a means of practising at home (very economical as well). Just the cost of gas to get to the range and back is a tin of 500 RWS pellets.

ps: the Daisy is an inexpensive rifle, not cheap. It will shoot from the bench at 10 meters a one hole group over and over and over with a pellet it likes.

W.R.Buchanan
01-06-2014, 10:49 PM
OK I've had enough, you've got to toss that $100 BB gun and get a real $400-600 sporting rifle so you can shoot 10's/40 like the rest of us!

Oh to be young again.

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
01-10-2014, 01:52 AM
I got a 27 tonight with the TX200. I started off bottom up with one miss and the Turkey's took their toll on me.I missed every other shot.

George.