PDA

View Full Version : 03a3

starmac
12-18-2013, 06:19 PM
A guy is suppose to bring by an old 03A3 rifle that he is wanting to sell. Is there anything in particular to watch out for on these rifles.

What would be a low price on one? Thanks.

Outpost75
12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
An all original Remington 2-groove in VG condition, bright bore, unmodified, with honest wear and handling marks, with readable cartouches and inspector's marks brings $800 around here. Add $100 for gov't bill of sale and original shipping carton with matching label, add another $100 for Exc. to near mint, or for Smith-Corona manufacture.

Halve the price if buggered, modified, sporterized, receiver drilled, stock refinished or barrel cut&crowned, reblued, etc.

starmac
12-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks, all I know is it has been sporterized, and has iron sights. I will see what it looks like when he shows, if he does.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-19-2013, 12:34 AM
If you'll go hang out at the CMP forums and read a good bit, you'll have a good idea of current market value of a 1903A3 in pretty short order. I suggest, unless you get a heckuva deal on that sporter, is to buy a complete and reasonably original 1903A3 that someone is selling on the CMP website. You'll have pictures and generally an honest description, from what I've seen of the posters over there.

leadman
12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Around here a sporter will go from $300 for an old conversion that is dated to $500 or so for a nice one. If it has a replacement wood stock make sure the tang is not tight to the wood, tends to split the stock. Also check the bolt handle, if not altered for a scope it should still have a sweep to the back. The straight handle bolts are considered by some as unsafe to fire. Biggest thing is a good bore, as with most firearms.

Post pictures! LOL

rockrat
12-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Sporterized 03A3's around here go for $250-$300 for plain ones

Nickle
12-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Smith Corona manufacture brings a premium price.

See if the wood has been cut or is original.

See if the metal has been cut or original.

The wood is replaceable, the metal not so much.

starmac
12-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I met the guy and it was a smith corona, sporterized some time ago. It was pretty nice shape. It did have an aftermarket stock, but original sights, and not drilled for a scope.
It had been hunted, but didn't appear to have been abused. He was asking 350, I offered 300, but he wouldn't budge, so I passed.
I think the metal except for maybe the trigger was original, and it was clean, the bore was dirty, but had strong rifling.
Foo my use I wouldn't have replaced the wood, to me personally it is worth more sporterized than original, if it would have been drilled for a scope, I would likely have given his asking price.

OBIII
12-23-2013, 12:48 AM
One other thing to watch out for (for future consideration) is converted drill rifles. The cut-off switch is welded shut, and the barrel is welded to the receiver. Some were done by gorillas, some were done by Artisans. Google search will bring up lots of info on the subject. The key issue is how much heat was applied in the process and did it damage the heat treating. Some people just refurb them and fire. It's all subjective.
OB

Nickle
12-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Mine is a bubba sporterized Smith Corona. The metal wasn't hurt at all. The stock was cut off just in front of the the rear band.

I got a poor condition, but real Smith Corona stock for it. But, it's on the agenda for a Boyd's C stock, along with my 1903.