PDA

View Full Version : Made more Ben's Red today.

Ben
12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
If you have not taken the time to try Ben's Red, you're missing out on a great cast bullet lube.

50% beeswax ( Some choose to use 55% with good results )
30% Red & Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
10% Johnson's Paste Wax
5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
5% STP Oil Treatment

Today, my supplies of Ben's Red were running a bit low, So..., after about 30 - 40 minutes of time invested in making Ben's Red, I'm back in business with my favorite lube now.

I'll let this fully cool, cut it into 1" wide strips ( the depth of the lube in the pan is about 2" ) and put the lube into gallon sized freezer bags for storage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/004-74.jpg

w5pv
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I pour mine into a couple of plastic ice cube trays works for me and then store them in a sip lock bag.It is the best lube I have used to date.

fivegunner
12-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Nice picture ! I am going to try some , got all the stuff , read all the post, all I need is to get it done Thanks for sharing. :Fire::bigsmyl2:

Ben
12-18-2013, 06:03 PM
By the way, mine was made outside on an elect. hot plate.

I do this to prevent mass bedlam if I had been fool enough to try making the lube inside the kitchen.

My wife would go completely " Kazoo ! ! "

We've been married since 1970, I'd like to keep it that way...........

doctorggg
12-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Time for me to make another batch. I also do it outside on a hotplate to keep the wifey happy. Good stuff. I add a little extra beeswax for my needs. Works great.

Ben
12-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I pour mine into a couple of plastic ice cube trays works for me and then store them in a sip lock bag.It is the best lube I have used to date.

A couple of yrs ago , I poured some hot Ben's Red lube into cheap plastic containers, it melted the plastic and liquid lube went everywhere .

I usually pour mine into a metal pan after that bad experience. I realize that some plastic will tolerate more heat than other kinds. I guess I picked the wrong kind of plastic container that day. It was a BAD experience.

myg30
12-21-2013, 01:04 PM
by the way, mine was made outside on an elect. Hot plate.

I do this to prevent mass bedlam if i had been fool enough to try making the lube inside the kitchen.

My wife would go completely " kazoo ! ! "

we've been married since 1970, i'd like to keep it that way...........

very smart man !!!

kungfustyle
12-21-2013, 01:30 PM
nice sight on the Mauser. How do you like it? Thanks for the lube recipe.

dilly
12-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I've had some unpleasant encounters after making bullet lube indoors myself.

Old Caster
12-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Since I am not afraid of my wife I do it in the kitchen. Watch so you don't get the lube too hot so it won't smoke so much. Take your time and have everything set up before you start. If you don't have a stove fan vent, do it with the windows open. I use 1 inch white plastic plumbing pipe cut to the proper length and with ends made from plastic cut with a hole saw and taped on so it can be removed to push the lube out. You can buy enough end plugs and do the same. It will stick so they need to be frozen and then pushed out. I use masking tape to hold the bottom on and they can be used numerous times.

myg30
12-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Since I am not afraid of my wife I do it in the kitchen. Watch so you don't get the lube too hot so it won't smoke so much. Take your time and have everything set up before you start. If you don't have a stove fan vent, do it with the windows open. I use 1 inch white plastic plumbing pipe cut to the proper length and with ends made from plastic cut with a hole saw and taped on so it can be removed to push the lube out. You can buy enough end plugs and do the same. It will stick so they need to be frozen and then pushed out. I use masking tape to hold the bottom on and they can be used numerous times.

And when she gets home the mess is cleaned up, the smoke is gone, the laundry is done and her dinner is on the table.

Sorry, I just had to. Mine has her own gun, yes im afraid. She's a good shot too !

Mike

chsparkman
12-21-2013, 04:13 PM
I doubt anyone's afraid of their wife. It's a matter of love and respect for her domain. I make Ben's Red outside for that reason.

btroj
12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Respect is a key thing in a relationship. My wife wouldn't injure me but the marital harmony level would certainly drop.

Is it that hard to do outdoor stuff outdoors?

wlc
12-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Heck, I make a big enough mess in the kitchen just cooking food. I'd never ever try to cook lube in the house.

Ben
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Heck, I make a big enough mess in the kitchen just cooking food. I'd never ever try to cook lube in the house.

I think that it was Clint Eastwood that said..... " A man has go to know his limitations."

Ben
12-22-2013, 04:29 PM
nice sight on the Mauser. How do you like it? Thanks for the lube recipe.

That's a Lyman 48 and yes it is NICE ! !

Thanks,
Ben

bnelson06
12-23-2013, 07:10 PM
So is it the beeswax color that makes mine come out more of a brown than red?

Ben
12-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes, the beeswax that is a soft yellow and the B/wax that is very dark brown will definitely have a great influence on the final product's color.

Ben

MtGun44
12-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Ben - The way I introduce that quotation is to say "As that great American philosopher, Harry Calihan, said, "A man has got to know his
limitations."

Great minds run in the same gutters, it would seem. ;-)

Bill

igolfat8
12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Ben,
Is this an all purpose lube or one designed for higher velocities and pressures? I don't shoot over 1100 fps and most times slower than that in my pistols. Is this suitable for pan or tumble lube applications or only used in a press?

Ben
12-29-2013, 10:22 AM
igolfat8

Works real well as a pan lube, would be great for your pan lubing application ( not tumble lube ).

w5pv
12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I cook mine outside if I cooked on the inside she would never forget and we would have hallsex for no telling how many eons.

myg30
12-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I made my first TWO batches yesterday. I did 1 lb on the first go around and 1/2 lb on the second. Why ? Well the important thing I found is heating the grease SLOOOWLY as Ben Clearly stated. I dumped everything into the pot and cooked away. Im not sure if it was the JPW or the bees wax started to turn brown as it was boiling. I stirred the mix and lowered the heat to medium on the electric hot plate. Had to raise again to get the grease to melt and also had some foaming. When all was done and poured into pan, the foam may have been all the JPW, smelled like it. I just decided to start again and melt the grease first SLOOwly on medium and stirring, then added the stp and dextron while stirring. When it was all looking good I added the bee's wax and stired till it was melted. The mix looks better, more red anyway.
We shall see how this works on the shooting range.

Just FYI, If you ever was stuck on the interstate in August, in Alabama or Tennessee at 2pm in 120' temp and had the windows down and was stop and go as you came up to the paving truck all smoking as they were paving the lane, and then traffic just STOPPED ! That's what the Grease melting reminded me of... just FYI !

Almost forgot, On the good side it was cold enough or the stink of the grease kept the Bee's away. None, Nada !

Bee safe, good luck, Mike

Ben
12-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Leaning over your pot and selling the odors that you describe isn't something I'd recommend.

However, the finished product works well and is worth your efforts.

I think you can see why I've BEGGED people not to make this inside their homes.

Ben

myg30
12-30-2013, 08:38 PM
AMEN !! I tried to stay up wind as best as possible but you know its a 20/80 gamble ! There isn't a kitchen exhaust fan big enough or bad enough to ever remotely dream of doing that inside ever, even if the house was empty, condemned and on fire !!
Just saying ...

Mike

Ben
12-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Well spoken.

Now......We will see if anyone is reading this and listening to our advice ? I hope so.

Arrow
01-04-2014, 11:42 PM
About to start casting here pretty soon. Doing all my research before getting started. This seams to be a well liked general purpose lube. (Or is it designed for a specific speed or pressure?) my question is, where can these ingredients be bought? I have never even heard of some of them. Also where do you get bees wax from? Is there a certain way to mix/cook these ingredients? Thanks for all the help.

myg30
01-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Welcome arrow. What part of the world are you located in ? Start here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223840-Made-more-Ben-s-Red-today. Then this one.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?219750-Cost-of-making-Ben-s-Red
Should have everything. Also at the top of lube section there are stickies on lubes. Lots good info too ! At the bottom of the page there is a section call Cast Boolit notes from Lasc.us , there is a tremendous wealth of info there for your learning benefit. Check it out too.

Enjoy and be safe, Mike

GabbyM
01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
About to start casting here pretty soon. Doing all my research before getting started. This seams to be a well liked general purpose lube. (Or is it designed for a specific speed or pressure?) my question is, where can these ingredients be bought? I have never even heard of some of them. Also where do you get bees wax from? Is there a certain way to mix/cook these ingredients? Thanks for all the help.

I cook all my lube in a little 1 1/2 quart slow cooker you can buy new for $15. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.
For this Bens Stinkin lube. Eclectic is easy to get set up outside. Preferably downwind of the house.

Arrow
01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank for all the help. I will keep reading. I am currently in North Carolina for another month but will be moving to Bozeman, Montana. Looking forward to starting casting.

Ben
01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Arrow

Ummm, take a heavy coat with you.

Ben

lancem
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I cook all my lube in a little 1 1/2 quart slow cooker you can buy new for $15. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.
For this Bens Stinkin lube. Eclectic is easy to get set up outside. Preferably downwind of the house.

Gabby, I was thinking of using a crock pot, good to see that one will work.

Baja_Traveler
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Not to question a good thing, but I'm wondering why the choice of STP oil treatment in the mix? From what I gather it is mostly mineral oil with alot of zinc compounds in it. What does it bring to the party that the Red & Tacky doesn't take care of?
And has anybody replaced the JPW with straight carnuba wax?

GabbyM
01-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Baja I used a spoon full of carnauba flakes. in a one pound batch. Just takes a little.
STP I think is there for the zinc. Just my assumption.

Ben
01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Not to question a good thing, but I'm wondering why the choice of STP oil treatment in the mix? From what I gather it is mostly mineral oil with alot of zinc compounds in it. What does it bring to the party that the Red & Tacky doesn't take care of?
And has anybody replaced the JPW with straight carnuba wax?

You feel free to make any substitutions that you'd like.

I'm not a chemist or a chemical engineer, so I'm not certain I can offer an accurate answer to your questions.

All I know ( and thousands of other shooters ) is it works.

Ben

Baja_Traveler
01-06-2014, 05:42 PM
You feel free to make any substitutions that you'd like.

I'm not a chemist or a chemical engineer, so I'm not certain I can offer an accurate answer to your questions.

All I know ( and thousands of other shooters ) is it works.

Ben

Good enough answer for me Ben - Like I said, I don't want to second guess a good thing - and for years all I have read here is that Ben's Red works great.
Since JPW is hard to come by, and I have a can of carnuba flakes on hand, I'll give that substitution a try and keep everything else the same.

Ben
01-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Let us know how it works.

Best to you,

Ben

smoked turkey
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Not that Ben's Red needs my endorsement but it is a very good boolit lube. I don't shoot real high velocity loads but in my .30 calibers up to the .50 caliber 500 grain rifle boolits it has worked extremely well. I made some molds from 1" PVC pipe with a rod down the center and use it in my Lubersizer and it just plain works. I tried to make it as exact to the recipe as I could. It is a little soft and I have considered adding a touch more beeswax to mine to make it a tad harder but it works good as it is.

Ben
01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
The more I read other people's experiences, the more I think the 50% Beeswax needs to be bumped to at least 55%.

Ben

white eagle
01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
cure for the problem have your wife make the lube

35 shooter
01-10-2014, 12:51 AM
The more I read other people's experiences, the more I think the 50% Beeswax needs to be bumped to at least 55%.

Ben

I intend to try that very thing in the summer heat this year Mr. Ben just cause i have a small batch of it made up. However the original version worked just fine last summer. Shot some of my tightest groups with it right thru the heat. No real reason to go any further with it really, i just like to experiment.

BTW i shot up to about 2600 fps. in the 35 whelen with 200 grain boolits and was amazed the bbl. was just as slick and easy to clean with just a patch run thru as it was at 1800 fps. Of course the usual.....no leading. If the 5% more wax shoots any better i'll let you know but the original does so well i'm not looking to gain much from it....We'll see.:grin:

45coltnut
01-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Ben, is the recipe in volume or weight?

45coltnut
01-18-2014, 08:11 PM
We'll, I made my first batch. I used the double boiler technique and it worked well. However, I think I should have had the liquid temp higher before pouring around the boolits. Also I used a turkey baster and I think that simply pouring would have worked better as the lube dried really fast and wouldn't run across the entire bottom of the pan.
Here's some pics of my process.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/yjypyzyz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/umynupu9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/19/yna8e6uh.jpg

shredder
03-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I second 45coltnut's question. By weight or volume?

45coltnut
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM
I ended up going with weight.

Ben
03-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I go with volume.

Could easily be weight also.

I know of people making it with both methods ( volume and weight ) , both say they are happy with the results.

Impt. thing is to be able to REPEAT good results.

Which you choose is up to you, but keep good notes and be able to repeat things when you make a good batch.

Ben

shredder
03-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Volume it is. Thanks for the heads up.

Methinks lube recipes can be over thought, and full of witchcraft and voodoo. Are you sure I don't need to stir counter clockwise with a willow switch on a full moon on the 13th of April facing due East standing on one leg? My plan is the crock pot nice and slow and gentle.

Maybe I should just follow the recipie and launch some into space.

shredder
03-13-2014, 08:43 AM
That last post should prolly have been purple. More coffee....

Lever-man
03-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Good luck with the crock pot, the one I bought would not get hot enough, but I did buy the cheapest one they had at Wally World.

KLR
03-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Good luck with the crock pot, the one I bought would not get hot enough, but I did buy the cheapest one they had at Wally World.

I bought a 3 qt Hamilton Beech for $12 and it worked great. It has three temp settings.

taco650
03-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Ben,

You've probably answered my question in your other thread but I'll ask anyway. Does this mix require a heater when used in a lubrisizer like a Lyman 450 & others?

41 mag fan
03-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Ben,

You've probably answered my question in your other thread but I'll ask anyway. Does this mix require a heater when used in a lubrisizer like a Lyman 450 & others?

No it does not

Ben
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
No heater required.

I've got a cold unheated basement here in N - Alabama in the winter( 55 degrees on some occasions ) . I've never had a need for a heater to get it to flow well in my Lyman 45.

Ben

taco650
03-29-2014, 05:16 AM
No heater required.

I've got a cold unheated basement here in N - Alabama in the winter( 55 degrees on some occasions ) . I've never had a need for a heater to get it to flow well in my Lyman 45.

Ben

Thanks. I'm in Western GA so cold really isn't a factor either. Guess I should be more worried about it melting out in the summer ha ha!

jim 44-40
03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
One hole tube of red and tacky, right? I'm waiting for a old pan to use.

Ben
03-29-2014, 03:46 PM
jim 44-40

One hole tube of red and tacky mixed with what ?

jim 44-40
03-29-2014, 04:00 PM
with the bees wax,paste wax,dexron,oil treatment

35 shooter
03-30-2014, 11:06 PM
I didn't make more Ben's Red today, but i did shoot some more of it. I'm impressed with it to say the least. Ill be shooting a lot more of it next weekend good lord willing.:-)

Ben
03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
with the bees wax,paste wax,dexron,oil treatment

When you said --whole tube-- you confused me.

If it is your 1st time to make Ben's red, I don't recommend large batches.

Ben
03-30-2014, 11:17 PM
I didn't make more Ben's Red today, but i did shoot some more of it. I'm impressed with it to say the least. Ill be shooting a lot more of it next weekend good lord willing.:-)

Great, I'm glad you are having good success with the lube.

Ben

Tom_in_AZ
06-06-2014, 11:38 PM

Same here! Definitely going to try this recipe

Toymaker
06-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Great thread repeating a number of experiences and ideas in one place. A couple of things I've done: First time making Ben's Red I used a pot with a hand-towel in the bottom filled with water and a metal coffee can on top of that. The water was just barely at a boil. Melted the bees wax first, stirred in the JPW, then the Red N Tacky, then the trans oil and STP. No boil, no smoke, no hurry and just enough heat to do the job = no odor.

Second time I used a heat gun, same order of ingredients and got the same results. I'm thinking the secret to controlling the odor is controlling the heat. Melting may take a little longer but it's odor free (for me).

The second batch was for pan lubing, and it set up too fast. So I turned the heat gun on it to make it flow through the pan. Worked great!!! Maybe making the bullets a little warm helped because the grooves were nicely filled. Let it cool, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes and the bullets popped out like PEZ (if you're old enough to remember them).

I did try to hand lube some, but just got sticky and not really good results. Pan lube or lubri-sizer is the way to go.

Anybody play with the temperature range for the lube?? How cold before it gets so hard it won't lubricate anymore?? How hot before it starts running??? I think I might play with that. Thinking polar bears in January might be safe, but I bet its pretty wide.

35 shooter
06-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Toymaker 4 hours with the top lube groove lubed and exposed above the case mouth couldn't make Ben's Red run today at the range at about 100* in direct sunlight. I shot it down to about 20* last winter and groups remained the same.
LOL i'm not too sure those polar bears are too safe, or African game either.
I'm totally sold on Ben's Red in MY rifle.[smilie=s:

BTW i have found it to hold cold and clean bbl. shots at or VERY close to poi! I use atf to oil and clean the bbl. and swab with one dry patch before shooting....works for me. I'd go hunting with a clean bbl. after using the atf and one dry swab any day with this lube.
These comments come after using Ben's Red for almost a full year now and i do a LOT of shooting. I realize different rifles react differently to things sometimes but i bet Ben's Red is gonna be a good performer all around anywhere imho.

Toymaker
06-25-2014, 09:22 AM
No, 35 Shooter, those polar bears are safe from me. I grew up on an island in the western Pacific and anything under 68° F is avoided however possible.
Ok, so we have 100° as a high and 20° as a low. Anyone from Arizona? How about North Dakota?
How about you, Ben? Anyone report on the temperature spread of Ben's Red to you? I know it gets humid down your way, but heat's not so bad. (Huntingdon College - Montgomery; class of '66)

taco650
06-26-2014, 09:18 AM
I've got to make some of this!!!!

Ben, can you give me the formula in volumes? 16oz of this, 8oz of that sort of thing? Thanks.

Ben
06-26-2014, 11:57 AM
taco650 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?27381-taco650)

If I convert the % to "parts" ( VERY ROUGH CONVERSION ) I came up with a 10 being everything you'd need for Ben's Red - - - You would mix things in a - - 5.5 - 2.5 -1 - 1 ratio. Parts being a volume measurement, so Tbs or Cups or even gallons as long as these " units " are kept constant .

beeswax 5.5units ( A hot summer time mixture of Ben's Red could use as high as 6.0 units of beeswax )

Red & Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease 2.5 units

Johnson's Paste Wax 1 unit

Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
STP Oil Treatment The Trans fluid and STP would be combined to = 1 unit.

gwpercle
06-26-2014, 03:47 PM
I've got to make some of this!!!!

Ben, can you give me the formula in volumes? 16oz of this, 8oz of that sort of thing? Thanks.
Here is the amounts in cups, Ben's recipe is by volume and I use a cup to measure ;
50% beeswax...........5 cups
30% Red-N-Tacky.....3 cups
10% JPW..................1 cups
5% ATF....................1/2 cup
5% STP....................1/2 cup

Total.........................10 cups

Hope this helps...gary
I'm going to try the making it in an old crock pot method, too much heat is not a good thing slow and low might be the ticket.

taco650
06-26-2014, 05:23 PM
gwpercle,

Thanks for the "recipe" using a known measure. I'm going to need a bigger pot than I currently have to mix up 10 cups of this magic substance (LOL!) but at least I'll have enough to last me a while.

06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
I bought a cheap sauce pan from the dollar store and made 10 even scratches on the inside. The I just filled it up according to the portions needed. ie., 2 units of X, 4 units of Y, etc. Works like a champ to get the right mix.

Ben
06-26-2014, 07:41 PM
I bought a cheap sauce pan from the dollar store and made 10 even scratches on the inside. The I just filled it up according to the portions needed. ie., 2 units of X, 4 units of Y, etc. Works like a champ to get the right mix.

I've done the same thing for years. Your system is super simple, yet it works 101% ! !

Ben

gwpercle
06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Guy's, just cut the amounts in half and you will make 5 cups:
Beeswax..........2 1/2 cups
R-N-T..............1 1/2 cups
JPW.................1/2 cup
ATF..................1/4 cup
STP..................1/4 cup

Total................5 cups

Now you don't have to get a bigger pot and to be honest this will probably make enough to last a while, unless you do a LOT of shooting.....then get a bigger pot.
Gary

35 shooter
06-26-2014, 09:59 PM
I've done the same thing for years. Your system is super simple, yet it works 101% ! !

Ben

Ben i thought i saw in one of your posts not long ago that you had made a new batch of Ben's Red with the 5% extra bees wax added in.
If so have you tried it yet or noted any difference in performance?
I've read about folks making it that way but so far i've seen no need to change from the original version.

oldfart1956
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Fellers I realize this should probably be posted in the Wanted to Buy section but...if any of ya'll are making up a batch of Bens Red and end up with a lot more than you want to keep on hand or just want to recover some of your material cost please contact me via p.m.! I'd love to try some with all the great posts and working 6 nights a week don't have much free time to make it up. I'm thinking if one lined a small flat rate box with a large length of Glad Wrap one could simply use it as a mold/shipping container. (?) Laying the wrap in 2 sections (imagine a large X of Glad Wrap) then poured/cooled and securely wrapped it should ship. I'd very much like to have an unmodified recipie exactly as Ben designed. I assume it would be legal to ship and not a flammable or hazardous item. Not looking to break any shipping laws here. Please inform me of the price to include shipping, not looking for a handout or freebie and wouldn't accept either. Mods if this is wandering too far out of the t.o.s. please relocate to the WTB section. Thanks to all. Audie...the Oldfart..

Ben
06-26-2014, 10:25 PM
35 shooter (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?31552-35-shooter)

Whether or not an exact 5%, I can't say.
I have definitely used more than 50% b-wax with zero problems.

Simply makes a bit firmer lube, not so soft.

Ben

35 shooter
06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Ok thanks Ben. I need to make some more soon. Think i'll make a small batch on the side with the extra wax. And make another full batch of the original as i liked the way it performed for sure. It's good to know it worked for you.....Thanks again...35shooter.

nekshot
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
when working up loads with this lube and things are not working out to my plan, questioning the lube is never even considered. It works in hot or cold for me! Some time soon I am gonna try this with BP.

nekshot
06-27-2014, 08:34 AM
I have another confession I must admit to. Since using Bens Red I rarely use me Lyman luber, Nope I stick gc on with fingers and rub the boolit around on a nice softish clump of BR and shove it thru lee sizer and finish every thing by wiping my hands on my jeans! That is why all my work jeans don't get perfectly clean any more! Wifey finally got over it and stopped complaining of grease spots on jeans. Truth is I don't even size much anymore, I just push them in neck and go shoot providing they chamber. I guess I am a bad caster but I love shortcuts and life is to short for all the details!

htuong95
09-07-2014, 08:51 PM
This is my first time making lube. I added too much beeswax. Instead of 55% beeswax that I was planning to use, I ended up putting 62.5%. Hopefully the 62.5% will not have any adverse effect on the lube. Worst case, I can just add 7.5% to each of the other ingredients right?

JWFilips
09-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Well every other one has got to "Mess with It" but You got it down the way Ben intended it....That is the way I make it too!

Jeeze everybody has to try something new....just make it like "Ben" then you have the "Real" ..".Ben's Red" ......Don't go messing with perfection...you're not going to change the world! Well that is just my "JABOR" (Just A Big Observational Rant!)

35 shooter
09-08-2014, 12:16 AM
I haven't leaded my rifle bbl. yet with the original Ben's Red with my gc boolits. Didn't chrono it, but according to a lyman manual, i was well over 2500 fps. The rifle groups tight and consistent and first shots from a cold bbl. are in the group or so close as to not make a difference for hunting. I guess extra beeswax would make it less sticky but it sure works like it is.
I like the way the original "flings" off right out of the bbl. (thus the tight groups). I set my chrono at 10 ft. in front of the muzzle and so far it doesn't have lube all over it. Haven't shot over it a whole lot, but it's still clean so far so it has to be shedding the lube quickly.
I will try the extra beeswax, but i'll be surprised if there's any improvement in performance. If it doesn't group better i'll be going right back to the original!

SniderBoomer
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Interested in how tough the 'extra Beeswax' lube is on boolits, as I often post out Ben's Red lubed cast boolits for friends. The 'original' recipe was a little soft for the rough-and-tumble of postal delivery during Summer, so I always included a little baggy of 'Red for the users to squeeze into any lube rings where the lube was bashed-out by postage.

So I do wonder if a pinch more Beewax would 'travel' better. And your 62.5% Beeswax mix - if you could let me know before you cut it back ;-)

This is my first time making lube. I added too much beeswax. Instead of 55% beeswax that I was planning to use, I ended up putting 62.5%. Hopefully the 62.5% will not have any adverse effect on the lube. Worst case, I can just add 7.5% to each of the other ingredients right?

htuong95
09-09-2014, 02:09 AM
I corrected my mistake yesterday. I remelted my lube and added more of the other ingredients. It is now at 55% beeswax.

Cooperwin
09-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Would a Pyrex chemistry beaker, marked to 1200 ml, hold up to the wisk/mixer tool? Seems a convenient size, permanent volume marking, and able to see them. Or just use an inside marked metal pot if Pyrex might break. Dave

41 mag fan
09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I played around with the extra beeswax last spring in my 45-70...I added it per lube stick at 5% and 10%...I found the 5% more bw better...5% my groups really closed up nicely. . at 10% they started opening back up

Geezer in NH
09-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I used this recipe taken from this site. Double boiler scrounged from the dump swap shop, electric hot plate and wire whisk.

BEN'S RED

24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Lucas Red " N " Tacky grease ( 1- 14 oz. tube)
4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnson Paste Wax - melted
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - S. T. P. Oil Treatment
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III Automatic Trans. Fluid

Note : 1/3 cup is equal to 5-tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. ATF and STP can bemeasured with spoons easier than than cup.
If you want a larger batch simply double all measurements.

Hope this helps you fellow lube makers.. and a big THANK YOU to Ben for sharinghis majic formula with us.....gary
P. S. this is the original formula based on 50% / 30% / 10% / 5% / 5%.

Worked fantastic as poured into my Lyman 450 and as a pan lube poured into a 4 inch can that boot lube came with.

taco650
09-27-2014, 10:06 PM
I used this recipe taken from this site. Double boiler scrounged from the dump swap shop, electric hot plate and wire whisk.

BEN'S RED

24 ozs. = 3 cups - melted beeswax
14 ozs. = 1 3/4 cups - Lucas Red " N " Tacky grease ( 1- 14 oz. tube)
4.6 ozs. = 2/3 cup - Johnson Paste Wax - melted
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - S. T. P. Oil Treatment
2.3 ozs. = 1/3 cup - Dexron II or III Automatic Trans. Fluid

Note : 1/3 cup is equal to 5-tablespoons + 1 teaspoon. ATF and STP can bemeasured with spoons easier than than cup.
If you want a larger batch simply double all measurements.

Hope this helps you fellow lube makers.. and a big THANK YOU to Ben for sharinghis majic formula with us.....gary
P. S. this is the original formula based on 50% / 30% / 10% / 5% / 5%.

Worked fantastic as poured into my Lyman 450 and as a pan lube poured into a 4 inch can that boot lube came with.

Thanks for posting the recipe in "weights & measures". I don't do well with "parts" but that's just me. When I use up my current lube I'm going to make up some of Ben's.