PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk bullet size?

acsteve
11-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Ok so I just sligged my barrel (429") and cylinder(431"). Should cast bullets be sized 430"? Using WW lead if that matters. Going to order the 265gr ranchdog mold. and maybe a few beartooth 250 wfn. Oh and what is the feeling on fire lapping revolvers? thanks

Bass Ackward
11-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Ok so I just sligged my barrel (429") and cylinder(431"). Should cast bullets be sized 430"? Using WW lead if that matters. Going to order the 265gr ranchdog mold. and maybe a few beartooth 250 wfn. Oh and what is the feeling on fire lapping revolvers? thanks

Different bullet designs and different load situations "may" desire different sizes if you want peak accuracy. Or if you end up getting a rifle and want a compromise sizing, you may go .431 or .432 even. but you will cross that bridge when you come to it.

If you are asking to pick one size and stick to it, then I start with a .430.

Start out and see what limits your revolvers place on you before you decide to fire lap. You have very good dimensions to start off with, maybe all you will need is broken in.

lathesmith
11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I did a firelapping job to a Ruger SS 357 BH a while back. I can't really say it improved accuracy, but it was somewhat easier to clean, due to the smoother bore.
lathesmith

jtaylor1960
11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
You want to fit the throat diameter providing all other dimensions are smaller.I would go with .431 providing it doesn't chamber too tightly.In a perfect situation the cylinder throat is largest the forcing cone a hair smaller and the barrel groove diameter a bit smaller yet.Just like a funnel.

beagle
11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd size .431". Should give you good accuracy.

I'm using a sizing die that sizes to .4312" and it shoots well in both my SBHs. I have a .432" die but when you start seating bullets that big in diameter, sometimes the crimp shoulder catches and seats a bullet that big too far down in the dies. This may be a problem with the Lyman dies I use but I have encountered it using RCBS dies too.

So, try .431 before you try any bigger or you may run into problems. Anything smaller may work but I'll bet you get better accuracy out of the .431 and less leading./beagle